Custom rDNS

Started by lmartin, Jan 30, 2008, 09:23:26

Previous topic - Next topic

lmartin

Is it possible to get a custom rDNS on IDNet for my static IP?
Liam Martin
Director
Original Organics Ltd
I do it with worms!

Rik

Sorry, Liam, but I have absolutely no idea what the question means. :( I would suggest you give support a call (0800 0267237) or drop them an email.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

lmartin

Ah, I mean the Reverse DNS entry for my static IP address.

Currently, I'm shown as cust120-dsl91-135-9.idnet.net.  I'd prefer it to be within my domain name (e.g. off02.originalorganics.co.uk).
Liam Martin
Director
Original Organics Ltd
I do it with worms!

Rik

I realised the reverse bit, I just have no idea on the custom bit. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Quote from: lmartin on Jan 30, 2008, 09:49:16
Ah, I mean the Reverse DNS entry for my static IP address.

Currently, I'm shown as cust120-dsl91-135-9.idnet.net.  I'd prefer it to be within my domain name (e.g. off02.originalorganics.co.uk).
Let me know if you find the answer to this please.

lmartin

Fired off an email to support earlier today.
Liam Martin
Director
Original Organics Ltd
I do it with worms!

Azazel

yeah let me know as well cos that would be kinda nice to have that for me too.

ducky22

Yes, it is possible.

I currently have one. All you need to do is create the forward lookup (a-record) first and then send IDNet an email to add the rDNS/PTR record.

psp83

Quote from: ducky22 on Jan 30, 2008, 18:51:58
Yes, it is possible.

I currently have one. All you need to do is create the forward lookup (a-record) first and then send IDNet an email to add the rDNS/PTR record.
Any idea how to do this with a 1and1 hosted domain?

I do have a cpanel hosted account but don't have the correct domains on there.

ducky22

Quote from: psp83 on Jan 30, 2008, 18:55:09
Any idea how to do this with a 1and1 hosted domain?

I do have a cpanel hosted account but don't have the correct domains on there.

As I work for a quality web hosting company - the mention of 1&1 is like blasphemy...... ::) hehe.

From cPanel you can't add a-records, you need 'WHM' which is the reseller control panel. Probably easiest to contact their support to add the a-record.

psp83

I work for a web design firm and it is a reseller account, i'm logged in WHM at the mo ;) but yeh, since i'm in a lazy mood i might transfer the domain over to my works and get the hosts to sort it out  :D

Edit, Missed "design" out  :laugh:

ducky22

Quote from: psp83 on Jan 30, 2008, 19:10:58
I work for a web firm and it is a reseller accountm, i'm logged in WHM at the mo ;) but yeh, since i'm in a lazy mood i might transfer the domain over to my works and get the hosts to sort it out  :D

hehe. Its very easy to do in WHM. Providing your host allows you to edit DNS records, some don't.

Who is your host out of interest? and how do you rate them?

psp83

Twentyhost, they are very good. Support tickets gets answered within mins.Not the biggest packages out there but the support makes up for it and very nice people to talk to.

I dont think they allow you to edit domain stuff, but a simple ticket to them and they will do it in mins.

ducky22

Hmm, never actually heard of them. Reviews look good tho! Quite expensive tho. But support in minutes is very good - that's how we try to be but sometimes you can maybe wait 45minutes for a low priority ticket.

A little stingy on the bandwidth but their costs are probably higher as they use a UK datacentre. However, normal websites are cool if hosted in the US.

Thanks for the info :-).

psp83

No prob. Was talking through email at the weekend with one of the support blokes.. They didnt have an XML feed for server status, So i sent an email asking about one and within hours he made one that gets generated from there own server status page, I then made a PHP script to use this information and he made it available for other customers to download.

So yeh, there support is 10/10 from me.

If you want, you can PM me a link to your company. We are always looking for hosts to add to our lists.