Upgrading to NTE5

Started by godedd, Feb 05, 2008, 21:27:35

Previous topic - Next topic

godedd

Hi all, :thup: I have just migrated to IDnet yesterday and am so far very happy.  Was previously with Namesco so haven't had the dire experience of some ISP's like others here.

These are my current line stats with my DG834GT-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7360 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 40.0 db 25.0 db
Noise Margin 6.4 db 23.0 db

I have asked for interleaving to be turned off to see how I do.  But i was thinking about my master socket.... It's an old non NTE5 socket so if I bought one of these and one of these could i wire a tiny extension from my non NTE5 (wires 2 & 5) to terminals A & B on the adsl adaptor?

Or could i just plug in the end of an extension cable into the non NTE5 and chop off the other end to wire it into the Filter? Hope you get my drift... It would save tampering with the non NTE5 to get the wires to the NTE5.

Ann

Well you've lost me but the others will be along soon and sort things out.  Have a welcome karma while you're waiting.  ;D

Simon

Hi godedd, and  :welc:

I'm with Ann, I'm afraid, but one of the techies will be around soon.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Welcome to the forum, godedd!

I'm not sure, but I think the master socket is legally BT's so you can't just go and change the wires and sockets about (although they would never know  >:D).

I think the best thing you can do is purchase the two items, and replace the existing master socket. Using a cable between old and new would have the same benefit as using a normal filter, so there is no point to using this method.

Rik is our wiring guru, and will be about either late tonight or tomorrow, so may be able to help more  :)
Lance
_____

Sebby

Welcome! :welc:

Quote from: godedd on Feb 05, 2008, 21:27:35
I have asked for interleaving to be turned off to see how I do.  But i was thinking about my master socket.... It's an old non NTE5 socket so if I bought one of these and one of these could i wire a tiny extension from my non NTE5 (wires 2 & 5) to terminals A & B on the adsl adaptor?

As far as fitting an NTE5 goes, you're not allowed as it's BT's property. However, I know people have had success at getting one fitted for free by telling BT they want to fit extension wiring and can't do it at present, so that's worth a try!

IIRC, terminals A and B on the XTE-2005 are to wire an ADSL only extension; the reason for doing this is so the ADSL signal is still terminated and filtered at the earliest point in the house. This won't benefit you given your current setup. If you wired an extension to an NTE5 then installed a XTE-2005 on that, it's still going to suffer the same noise pickup as the rest of the extensions in the house, being terminated by the XTE-2005 too late for the situation to be any different.

Quote from: godedd on Feb 05, 2008, 21:27:35Or could i just plug in the end of an extension cable into the non NTE5 and chop off the other end to wire it into the Filter? Hope you get my drift... It would save tampering with the non NTE5 to get the wires to the NTE5.

Again, this wouldn't be beneficial for the same reason as above. A common misconception is that plugging into the front of the master socket bypasses extension wiring. In fact, it's the same as plugging into an extension socket. It's a strange idea to accept, I admit, but that is why filtered faceplates exist. The reason an NTE5 master socket and filtered faceplate helps is because the signal is terminated and filtered as the line comes into your property, so the ADSL signal is as "clean" as it can be, and just telephone signal is sent to the extension wiring.

So, this is how I see your current situation. You can try and get BT to fit an NTE5 for free; if not for free, they will do it for a charge. Alternatively, remove the ring wire from every socket in the house (usually orange, and always in terminal 3) and this should reduce noise pickup considerably, hopefully yielding you higher sync. The ring wire is not needed by modern telephones, and is often the major cause of noise pickup in extension wiring.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if anything needs clarification! :)

godedd

I'm with you sebby! Thanks for the guidance. I appreciate that I will probably get shot if I try and replace the master but this is not my intention.  I was looking at this as a guide. Literally having the NTE5 right next to the old master.  I wouldn't be plugging in anything to the old box.

So I believe that all i would be doing is extending wires 2 & 5 to go straight into the NTE5 from the old master.  Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am!!) but wouldnt this just be the same as replacing the old master to NTE5? Having the unfiltered cable from the outside connected to the XTE2005 via the old socket?

The more I think about it the more confused i get! My router is already right next to the master so would be plugged into the ADSL plug of the faceplate, and my phone and upstairs extension would be plugged into the Phone plug via a doubler?

Am i being thick?

Rik

What Sebby is saying, I think, is that your current extensions are hard-wired to your current master. Unless you move them to the new NTE5 (and there may not be enough cable to do so) then you will gain little or nothing.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Exactly, Rik. I guess you could remove existing extension wiring from the current master socket and attach this to the NTE5. Then, go from the current master socket, like you were wiring an extension, to the back of the NTE5 (like this is the line coming in). I'm not sure what the results would be like, but also it's a fairly messy solution. I'd try and get BT to fit a NTE5 for free, or failing that removing the ring wire should be a good solution.

Rik

Just telling BT you need to wire some extensions and you haven't got anything to wire them to sometimes works...
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Yep, I mentioned that in my first reply as I recalled some had been successful. :)

Rik

Sorry, Seb, I skimmed most of the thread.  :-[
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

That's understandable; I do tend to have lots to say on these sorts of problems. ;)

godedd

I don't have any hard wired extensions. I  only have an extension cable ending with a phone plug and a phone plugged into a filter dongle via a doubler with router into ADSL.  Clear as mud eh!

Have tried to do a diagram via paint!

Would i just phone BT customer services to ask for a replacement?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

Quote from: Sebby on Feb 06, 2008, 00:13:08
That's understandable; I do tend to have lots to say on these sorts of problems. ;)

I just had lots to read. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: godedd on Feb 06, 2008, 00:13:46
Would i just phone BT customer services to ask for a replacement?

Are your extension cables to the phones flat or round? TBH, I'm not sure on your current setup that there's a lot of benefit in moving to an NTE5, since your master socket is the equivalent of a test socket.
Rik
--------------------

godedd

Quote from: Rik on Feb 06, 2008, 00:15:47
Are your extension cables to the phones flat or round? TBH, I'm not sure on your current setup that there's a lot of benefit in moving to an NTE5, since your master socket is the equivalent of a test socket.

They are flat.  Am i right in thinking that round is better?  If i don't go the nte5 way, should I invest in a decent dongle filter as the one i'm using now was one supplied with my router!

Sebby

Quote from: godedd on Feb 06, 2008, 00:13:46
I don't have any hard wired extensions. I  only have an extension cable ending with a phone plug and a phone plugged into a filter dongle via a doubler with router into ADSL.  Clear as mud eh!

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you had no hard-wired extensions. In that case, it's even easier. If the filter is the first thing plugged into the master socket, and you have no hard-wired extensions, a NTE5 isn't going to make any difference. The ADSL signal is already being terminated and filtered at the earliest point, and there is no extension wiring to pickup noise and interfere.

A new microfilter might help; the ADSL Nation XF-1e are supposed to be the best "soap on a rope" type. A new router may also help; the 2Wire 2700HG (lots of threads about this model) or SpeedTouch 585v6 are highly regarded and tend to offer good improvements. Also, a better quality (twisted pair) cable from the master socket to your router may help.

Now that we can see that your wiring isn't causing trouble, can you post your line stats? This may help us to see what's going on and possibly make more suggestions. If you're not sure how to get this, take a look here.

Quote from: godedd on Feb 06, 2008, 00:19:07
They are flat.  Am i right in thinking that round is better?  If i don't go the nte5 way, should I invest in a decent dongle filter as the one i'm using now was one supplied with my router!

It doesn't make any difference in your case as it is only a telephone extension. If you were using an extension lead from the master socket to somewhere else in your property then filtering it for ADSL, then it would potentially be a problem as the flat cables are not high-quality and tend to pick up noise.

See above regarding the filter. :)

Rik

Quote from: godedd on Feb 06, 2008, 00:19:07

Flat is bad. :( Standard phone wire (to CW1308 spec) uses twisted pairs to cancel out noise. Flat cables do not, and so pick up all the noise there is to be had; MW radio, electrical noise etc, and they feed that back into the circuit. Even though they are on the filtered side of the connection, replacing them is likely to prove advantageous.

As Sebby says, something like an ADSL Nation xf-1e could be a good investment.
Rik
--------------------

godedd

An XF-1e it is I think!

My current stats are -

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    7360 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    40.0 db    25.0 db
Noise Margin    6.6 db    23.0 db

I have synched at 7616 in the past.  Requested interleaving off yesterday so when should I see that kick in as it was actioned at 10pm 3/2/08?

Have I maxed out the best from my line already as I appreciate that LA of 40db isn't great!

Sebby

You've got great stats! I certainly wouldn't worry about trying to improve things. What router do you have at present, out of interest?

I'm not sure how long it takes for interleaving requests to be actioned.

Rik

7360 is not bad for 40db attenuation, but I've also seen better. Much of the sync speed depends on the characteristics of the line, eg whether it's got thin or thick copper. Interleaving changes can be anything from a few minutes to three days, depending on BT. If you can coax the extra bit of sync speed, you'll step up a profile, ie about 400k of throughput.
Rik
--------------------

godedd

Think i'll get an xf-1e and stick with my DG834GT. Worryingly though...

I know i'm still in my test period.  Got the speedtester to show profile of 6500k but wouldn't get to show me my throughput

I think both of you deserve some  :karmic: for your patience, knowledge and general helpfulness!

godedd

Here is the BT Speedtest result...

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7520 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 844 kbps

WOW!

Rik

Profile is right for sync speed. Thoughput... :(

Do you know if your exchange is red? Check here: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

If not, try and get another BT test or two, then contact support and ask them to test your line.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

The throughput figure is very worrying. Try again tomorrow and if you get the same results, give IDNet a call. You should be getting significantly more than that. Otherwise, the figures look good.