Leaving Idnet!

Started by Azazel, Feb 06, 2008, 13:23:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Inactive

Thanks Gary, yes I do recall that, but that was down to the EU stopping the greedy mobile operators from scamming those roaming, not down to the generosity of O2.

I actually have a Telefonica Land Line, but I don't have my calls through them, I use a company called Europa Network, calls are for next to nothing with them, and they are a bit like IDNet when it comes to service.

However because of the Telefonica stitch - up on Broadband in Spain, they cannot provide broadband for less than the standard 40 Euro's a month + IVA ( VAT ) for a 1 mb service.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

O2 lowered their prices more than any other Operator In, that's more generous than most in my book, and good for business ;)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Inactive

You obviously have an affinity to O2 Gary, they are of no use to me, they still cannot provide a usable signal at my home address in the UK.

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 07, 2008, 11:45:56
You obviously have an affinity to O2 Gary, they are of no use to me, they still cannot provide a usable signal at my home address in the UK.

Not an affinity In, they just happen to provide cheaper data and roaming charges which is good news as it makes the other networks take notice and drop keep their prices as well, competition if it helps our pockets is a good thing ;)

Inactive

Would your Wife not be better off getting a Sim in the country visited Gary?, I find that even Telefonica is cheaper than using any UK roaming set-up.

Malc

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 07, 2008, 11:54:11
Would your Wife not be better off getting a Sim in the country visited Gary?, I find that even Telefonica is cheaper than using any UK roaming set-up.

Both of us do that when we go to the Philippines, it's a lot cheaper.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 07, 2008, 11:54:11
She travels to Switzerland Itlay Oman, Dubai, so many places that to be honest a carrier pigeon would be better ;D, but in Europe O2 works for her, she does not get the time to go hunting sims for the countries alas In, although its a good idea but as she is looking after a number of children her movements are somewhat restricted, what she needs is a wifi enabled phone and a hotspot to make voip calls really, she is due and upgrade this year so that will help that out, but otherwise its silence mostly which we both hate, not much can be done when she goes to the more remote places sadly.

Inactive

That must be terrible for both of you Gary, WiFi seems to be the way things are going, so hopefully you will be able to keep in touch better.

One nearby village in Spain has Wi Fi enabled the whole village, so the residents get access for 11 Euro's a month.. sadly not my village.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 07, 2008, 12:07:55
That must be terrible for both of you Gary, WiFi seems to be the way things are going, so hopefully you will be able to keep in touch better.

One nearby village in Spain has Wi Fi enabled the whole village, so the residents get access for 11 Euro's a month.. sadly not my village.
Yes its hard In, she is off again Sunday till the 24th and then back for a week and away again, also away most of March. Wifi is the answer, she is really technophobic as well which does not help so I think a wifi handset would be easier than a laptop and more practicable for her as well. When you see whole villages covered by wifi it makes you wonder about the investment for that in the UK, we are not great at grasping these ideas and implementing them in the UK it seems

Si

Quote from: Killhippie on Feb 07, 2008, 12:13:27
When you see whole villages covered by wifi it makes you wonder about the investment for that in the UK, we are not great at grasping these ideas and implementing them in the UK it seems

Or has there been assistance provided by the EU to help fund this... If so, then we are paying for such services, just not here!
Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

Rik

Nothing new there then. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Si on Feb 07, 2008, 12:20:14
Or has there been assistance provided by the EU to help fund this... If so, then we are paying for such services, just not here!
I imagine its the Networks doing this, as the EU tend to not dig deep in their pockets to push that kind of technology out just for the average man and woman, and its worth it for the ISP's to get more people in its hands, there is a WIFI scheme in Oxford using lamposts as WIFI transmitters so it is being tried out, but the mobile networks dread this as people would be using voip for calls not them, imagine a voip handset just for WIFI they would lose out so much its not in their interest to encourage this technology I guess, that's why companies like Orange and Vodaphone crippled the first few WIFI handsets I think Si

Inactive

Quote from: Si on Feb 07, 2008, 12:20:14

I think it was paid for by the village council, each village in Spain has like a mini-town hall and it gets local rates paid directly to it from it's residents.

Even car tax is paid to the village.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 07, 2008, 12:36:22
I think it was paid for by the village council, each village in Spain has like a mini-town hall and it gets local rates paid directly to it from it's residents.

Even car tax is paid to the village.
Were I like In, it would be conservatories and road widening for Range rovers >:D

Inactive

Quote from: Killhippie link=topic=5902.msg106467#msg106 :lol:467 date=1202388081
Were I like In, it would be conservatories and road widening for Range rovers >:D
:lol: Same here Gary...

Azazel

Well i have migrated off to Be* now and so far so good, i have gone from 5.5mb to 7.9 and the customer service has been great, very helpful getting fast path on my line and some tweaks to SNR and DLM being turned off, im going to move to their value pack as that limits my connection to 8mb and i pay £14 a month, same service level just capped at 8mb.

Anyway if i come accross any issues i will get back to ya!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Thanks for the update Az..  ;)

Sebby

I'm glad it's worked out well for you. :)

Lance

THanks for the update!
Lance
_____

Azazel

so far so good, everything is running smoothly, ping is nice and routing seems to be pretty stable, DNS servers seem to be an issue for some people but i have not yet had a problem  :thumb:

Rik

Are they using OpenDNS as an alternative?
Rik
--------------------

Gary

That issue was mentioned on Think Broadband, Be and O2 suffer DNS issues as the problem appears that Be Internet's DNS servers use adjacent IP numbers. This means if one segment of the IP network goes down, both DNS servers are almost certainly going to go out of service it appears :-\

Rik

Careless planning, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Azazel

im on their own DNS servers and yes they have the same ip address and on 51 and 52 as the end of the address, however they do have multiple DNS servers over the network now with varied IP addresses so i think that issue has gone, i am looking at using open DNS myself as a better alternative.