Do you have problems with the BT speed tester - or not?

Started by Rik, Feb 07, 2008, 11:34:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Some people struggle to ever get a successful test, others of us may have to try more than once, others never have a problem.

I'm forming a theory that there may be an underlying geographical issue here, so I'd be grateful if you could post indicating your rough location, and how successful you are in performing a test. (Remember that it seems to work best with variants of IE, rather than Firefox).

I'm on the Wolverton exchange in Milton Keynes and fall into the 'usually can get a test, but may have to try more than once' camp.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

West Sussex.  Works intermittently with any browser, dependant on Java plug in being installed.
Simon.
--

Noreen

I have never had a problem with it. I'm on the Bermondsey (CLBER) exchange in London and am about 600m, in a straight line, from the exchange.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Malc

North west Manchester, tried many times, only ever worked once, at about 12 midnight, all other times it hangs when I enter the telephone no, (never get to the next stage) then I get a time out error.

Using IE7

shazzy

Still not able to get a successful test.  I'm in Mid-Wales on the Newtown, Powys exchange.

Inactive

Quote from: Noreen on Feb 07, 2008, 11:52:22
I have never had a problem with it. I'm on the Bermondsey (CLBER) exchange in London and am about 600m, in a straight line, from the exchange.

That far Noreen, mine is about 100 yards straight line.. I am north of Watford and south of York..  ;D ;D :banana2: :leer:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

kinmel

On north Wales coast, tester worked perfectly and with no delays, using IE7 at noon.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  4672 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3756 kbps

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Noreen

But do you have any problems with the speed tester, In? :)

Si

I'm in South Oxfordshire, 900m direct to the exchange. Never been able to get it to work with Firefox, does work with IE but generally only during the day or after 11pm.
Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

Inactive

Quote from: Noreen on Feb 07, 2008, 12:10:08
But do you have any problems with the speed tester, In? :)

oops, no.. no problems. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Ted

North Wales, Old Colwyn exchange. Just completed a test no problems 12:49
Firefox on Linux
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Rik
--------------------

dudwell

Works well with IE virtually every time even at supposedly busy times, doesn't seem to like Opera.

Tested a moment ago:-

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6063 kbps

Rik

Rik
--------------------

RA-1972

works for me everytime firefox or ie . exchange newton abbot devon .6 of miles away

Baz

very slow for me. havent tried on FF but IE works. I am in East Durham about 1.2kilometres from the exchange if I was a crow ;D

Ann

It works for me in Canterbury, Kent... not here but at home.

The little penguin above tells me my ISP is the University of Kent.. so I work for an ISP.. I will add that to my CV then  ;D

Edit: Blimey it changed from a cute little penguin to a horrible monster.  :o

Rik

It changes every time the page refreshes, Ann. Have you checked at home that you're seeing the right IP address?
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Gone altogether now.... ;)

Somebody been eating a penguin?

;)

Rik

I'm still seeing a graphic, just not a Happy Feet at the moment...
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Ray

South West Leicestershire Leire exchange, Rik, I usually manage to get a successful test except for the occasional busy message and the odd hang. I've used Firefox 2 and IE 7 to carry out the test doesn't seem to be any difference between them though.
Ray
--------------------

drummer

No problems with Firefox apart from the occasional "busy" message and I gave up trying with Opera because it just used to freeze.

About 750 meters from exchange in North London.

IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6045 kbps
To stay is death but to flee is life.