I am finaly being migrated over to IDnet by 6pm tomorrow the 8th Feb. Quick Ques

Started by Mandatory, Feb 07, 2008, 16:08:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandatory

Hi guys,

I am finaly coming over to Idnet tomorrow from AOL or should I say talktalk/ terrible ISP...  Anyhow is there anything I need to do on my end in order to connect onto the IDnetwork? I guess I have to change some settings in my router?

Anyhelp would be great.

Thanks alot

Rik

Hi, welcome to IDNet and IDNetters, have a karma. :)  :welc: :karmic:

The only changes you'll need to make are to the router login, substituting the IDNet username and password for the AOL one. Because AOL often used a small MTU, I'd recommend you set that to 1500 while you're there. Let the router pick up DNS servers and IP address automatically.

Have you set up your email account(s), web space, blog space and photo album? If not, you can log in to your accounts page and do that straightaway.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Hi and Welcome, have a welcome Karma.

You just need to enter the details that IDNet will have given you ( User ID and Password ) in to your router and bingo, you will connect and never look back. :welc: :karmic:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Mandatory

Hi Rik,

No I havent set any of that up yet I guess ill wonder over to the accounts page and take a look :)

thanks you for the advice. I was just worried I would have no net connection tomorrow and no way to find out how to connect it heh.

all the best.

Rik

Chances are you'll wake up and find the migration has been done, though BT say 'by 6pm' to cover themselves. There may be a short period of overlap with bost connections working, but try the iDNet login and, if you connect, you're one of us. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Rik

You'll find life is simply and happy here. :)

You'll not believe the difference until you've experienced it.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

RA-1972

speak for your self inactive  ???  :P  ::) ....................................

Sebby

Malc

:welc: and just prepare yourself for tomorrow, it's like being a kid on Christmas day

kerrso05

:welc:

Like yourself I am also new. I Just came to Idnet on Tuesday and as Malc said it is like "being a kid on Christmas Day".
The people are really friendly and helpful and if you have any problems with your log on then contact Customer Services........they are also very helpful.
All I had to do when I moved was change the modem username which Idnet gave me which looks something like this:- phoneno@idnet.gw5
and then your password and that should be you.........connected to IDNet

I had to change/put in my DNS settings into my Modem (which IDNet had already given me).......but I don't know if you will have to do that but C.S. will keep you right about that.

Anyway, Welcome to a Great Internet Service Provider

PS if you don't know how to access your modem or router, then ask here and I'm sure someone will be able to help
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Mandatory

Yes im looking forward to it! Not long now and I'll be on the network!

I had a thought though I think I will have a few hours of down time as im moving from an LLU network and apprently they can take a while to migrate from.

I guess we will see :)

RA-1972

DeViTTo

I joined today and I'm pleased much faster connection. WE are a friendly lot aren't WE as I can now say.

Welcome to IDnet (Happy Land) ISP Nirvana ;D

Simon

:welc:  Mand!  Happiness is compulsory here, as you may have gathered.  ;D
Simon.
--

kerrso05

Quote from: Mandatory on Feb 07, 2008, 20:29:30
Yes im looking forward to it! Not long now and I'll be on the network!

I had a thought though I think I will have a few hours of down time as im moving from an LLU network and apprently they can take a while to migrate from.

I guess we will see :)

I moved from LLU which was managed by TISCALI  (Yes.......I know a bad word) on behalf of my Internet Service Provider, Eclipse.........I didn't have any down time other than about 10mins. They didn't change me over till about 10.00am........it wasn't in the middle of the night as somepeople had suggested but it wasn't any trouble.......10 mins isn't much (probably had to wait until the Engineers had their morning Coffee)
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Lance

Welcome to the forum!

With LLU conections, the line actually has to be disconnected and reconnected from the LLU provider's equipment back to BT. This is why there is some downtime and it is usually done during the day.

If you are migrating from one BT package provider to another, it only takes a few keystokes somewhere and is why it often takes place in the early hours of the morning.
Lance
_____

Si

Quote from: Mandatory on Feb 07, 2008, 20:29:30

I came from a Piscali/Tipex LLU and was working from home and on-line when the changeover happened. I lost connection on my old service, quickly changed to my IDNet login details and was up and running. No downtime at all, except the couple of mins it took to set the new login and password. Hopefully this is standard practice from BT...

Enjoy!  :)
Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

Mandatory

Yup I'm sure it wont be a big issue even if its a little longer than a couple of hours. I have lots of work I can get on with :)

Looking forward to finaly being away from AOL since they changed me over to the talktalk network about two weeks ago without telling me they were going to I may add, I have been losing connection constantly and also my speeds have dropped from 6.5 -7.0 Megs to 3megs :(.

Anyhow less than 12 hours and ill be on IDNet woot :)

Sebby

Try not to watch the clock, otherwise it'll go slowly. Get some sleep and you'll be away from AOL/TalkTalk before you know it. ;)

Mandatory

Lance

Lance
_____

Simon

Simon.
--

Lance

Lance
_____

Malc

Sebby

Malc

Sebby

Indeed, and I can't week. I've been really tired this week, so I'm looking forward to the weekend. :)

Lance

Me too! I've been busy at work, and then on here to late. not a good combination!
Lance
_____

Malc

It's been dead at work this week, I think that's more tiring and boring than being busy.

At least if no bosses are around I can hang around here all day.

Simon

I keep saying I'm not going to be late on here... then I can't resist one more look!!   ::) :D
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Mandatory

Morning all!

Well I still have an AOL connection which I assume I wont have once I'm moved away from their LLU network. So at some point today I'll hopfully lose connection and know to put the user name and pw into my router for IDNet.

;D

Lance

Lance
_____

Mandatory

Thanks Lance I will, So I assume my aol con will just stop working once they migrate me away from the LLU network and back onto bt's ipstream?

Rik

It should do, you should notice the connection drop, then your router will detect the new connection, after which you just enter your login details. If the router doesn't auto-detect the ADSL, you want PPPoA (or PPPoATM), VC-Mux, VPI 0, VCI 38.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Mandatory

Woot finaly over with very little down time I think it was about 40 mins.

Finaly a reliable ISP :)

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Mandatory on Feb 08, 2008, 12:42:55
Woot finaly over with very little down time I think it was about 40 mins.

Finaly a reliable ISP :)

Welcome to happy land.  :karmic: Managed a speed test yet?
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Malc

Mandatory

Quote from: Malc on Feb 08, 2008, 13:41:16
Don't be silly Rik.

Welcome to our happy family

lol I think within two mins of being connected I ran a BT speed test the results of which are in this thread
http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5949.0

Malc

That is impressive.

I've managed it once in 4 months, at 12 midnight

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Malc on Feb 08, 2008, 13:45:52

I've managed it once in 4 months, at 12 midnight

Better than my once a year Malc, oh speed tests..sorry. ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Malc

Shock gasp horror. I've just got to login details.

Stand by...............................

Malc

It's like a guiness advert

HE WAITS...

Where it said no more for 3 hours, maybe it really means 3 months

edit 1
AND WAITS...
(must be a big wave, this one)

edit 2
hmmmm, a little blue bar with comfirmation required appears to be my result.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Malc

Malc

Malc

YES

I hope this was worth it

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3886 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

No... I just remembered I have utorrent running, downloading at 767mb

Rik

Well, that messed that test up a little then... ;)

Still we know your profile now, which is 500k lower than it should be, so you need to keep a stable connection for 3-5 days.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Thanks Rik, I'll try AGAIN later, sorry I'm not with it, distractions, tea was almost ready

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Malc

Try this test then, nothing running this time

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6057 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

I'm confused, how can it say 6057, when I know I DL at 765mb (which I assume is 7650). Probably way of track with my deductions.

So, I leave just the router on for 3-5 days, or the PC and router?

Thanks in advance.

Ann

The router.  You don't need to leave the computer on.  Most people never turn the router off anyway.

Malc

Thanks gals!

I thought so, but just making sure, I'm new to this router business.

Lance

Quote from: Malc on Feb 08, 2008, 22:06:13
I'm confused, how can it say 6057, when I know I DL at 765mb (which I assume is 7650). Probably way of track with my deductions.

The 765 is Bytes not bits, so it's 765 x 8 = 6120kbps, which isn't too far from the 6057 the speedtester is giving. Somewhere around the 6290 mark is the theoretical maximum for your 6500 profile, once overheads have been allowed for.

All considered, your throughput is pretty close to the maximum for your profile. Once your profile has caught up with your sync speed you will see your speed increase.
Lance
_____

Malc

Wow, that's exciting.

What I'm getting is soooo much better than the 0.5mb I used to get with pi (no I can't type it again).

And thanks for that explanation, I understand a lot more now.

Rik

Case gets really important in speed discussions, Malc, B = byte, b = bit. Speeds are generally quoted in kilobits per second.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Malc

My speedtouch feels quite walm underneath compared to the modem before, is this normal?

I'm leaving it on ATM to see if anything improves.

Simon

My Netgear always felt warm, but I don't suppose that's much help, Malc.
Simon.
--

Malc

Sebby

Quote from: Malc on Feb 09, 2008, 22:11:11
My speedtouch feels quite walm underneath compared to the modem before, is this normal?

It's normal for these devices to get hot. If yours came with the stand (I think Thomson may have stopped including these lately) you could see if putting it on its side helps. :)

Malc

Didn't get a stand,  :( but it's on a wooden desk away from paper and stuff.

Just wanted to be sure that was normal.

Simon

Might be worth getting some of those little sticky rubber feet, to raise it off the surface a bit, if you're concerned, Malc.
Simon.
--

Rik

I agree. If a router doesn't have a stand, I always add feet to give it 1cm or so extra air gap, it can really make a difference.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Malc

Sebby

The heat produced is probably normal, Malc (obviously I can't say for sure without feeling it, but such devices do get hot). I wouldn't worry. :)

Inactive