Re: Pings

Started by equk, Sep 28, 2006, 17:06:10

Previous topic - Next topic

maxping

Quote from: Dev on Oct 06, 2006, 11:15:06
1 minute he is moaning that his connection is not OK with a graph which clearly states that his connection was totally timed out for 3 hours,

I am not banned because there is no reason to ban me ,i do not flame (the fick off to EQ was a joke and he knows me well enough to know that)  if you don't like me asking if you have turned the router off thats your problem not mine hardly flaming .

Oh and actually it wasn't timed out for 3 hours it was  turned off, i do not leave it on when the pc is off  ;D

QuoteTurning off your modem/router every 5 minutes for half an hour is completely insane - people who pay for a service

I don't think anyone said turn it off every 5 mins its a one off test if you discover you have high pings , if it doesn't work the first time it ain't going to work the second, i however have had this trick fix my pings many times.[/quote]

maxping

Quote from: Dev on Oct 06, 2006, 11:30:44
You'll make a good support operator, just tell everyone to leave.

So who do YOU think you are helping by posting in an unofficial forum?

QuoteHey guys lets do what this kid is saying and all leave

"ALL"  that would be the 2 of you then that are having problems at the moment out of how many?

QuoteAlso I find it highly amusing that you seem to think your trying to sort it out yourself - how are you doing that? It's the ISP's problem nothing to do with peoples routers or lines.

As i have said many times , on the now rare occasion i get 150+ pings i use the 30 min disconnect trick and it works for me therefore i am fixing it myself.

QuoteAlso when the network is overloaded anyway, reconnecting your router does nothing -

Read my last post.

Quotewhich was proved the other night when peoples connections were just timing out all together every 5 minutes.

Would that be the night when there was a power outage at BT as posted by Simon in the Adsl guide forum.

equk

Well for the peeps who pm'd me to ask about ping times after migration, I've migrated and ping times have vastly improved aswell as stability.

So far I'm pinging the NL servers I norm play on at 30ms (was 40-60ms on idnet). Quake3 is actually playable once again. I guess time will tell on whether it is permenantly sorted but for now it does seem to be a lot better.
Even browsing the net seems faster.
e6400 @ 3.2Ghz 38°C 45°C | ATI X1900XT | P5W DH | ss: linux | osx
migration complete - sync 5mb 500k - stable low ping times

maxping

mrapoc

Simon has rang me and advised me turning the router off may not be the only fix

The bt test thingy
Logs you off your bras profile then back onto idnet after - thus putting you onto a new "pipe"

Thank you simon  ;)

Also, i think we need to make a new thread / start on this one, with purely pings, tracerouts and line stats at the time of problems, with no comments what so ever.

Maybe add how it affected you (e.g slow browser, high pings in gaming or both etc.) to make a large, easy to analyse list of stats, how it affected you and do it as soon as the problem occurs. Wotchu reckon?

maxping

Quote from: mrapoc on Oct 06, 2006, 18:46:33

Also, i think we need to make a new thread / start on this one, with purely pings, tracerouts and line stats at the time of problems,

Wotchu reckon?

To be honest now Avenger and Eq have gone i don't think there will be the constant ping test postings there have been recently.

The rest of us that "were" having problems seem to be OK at the moment .

cavillas

You mean a ping free zone  ;D ;D ;D ;D
------
Alf :)

maxping

Quote from: cavillas on Oct 06, 2006, 19:35:13
You mean a ping free zone  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well if you ignore my name then yes  :D

cavillas

Quote from: maxping on Oct 06, 2006, 19:45:55
Well if you ignore my name then yes  :D

No. Not you. You're safe.....for the moment ;D ;D ;D ;D :police:
------

maxping

drummer

Quote from: maxping on Oct 06, 2006, 17:44:05
Its a joke mate  EQ wont be offended , he knows me too well  ;)
Fairy nuff, but I didn't know that and neither would many other newcomers to this forum, so it came across as aggressive and unhelpful.

Just something you may want to consisder is all I'm saying.   This forum ought to be a source of advice and information that doesn't intimidate newcomers - it's not a gamers forum after all.
To stay is death but to flee is life.

maxping

Quote from: drummer on Oct 07, 2006, 01:27:55
Fairy nuff, but I didn't know that and neither would many other newcomers to this forum, so it came across as aggressive and unhelpful.

Jeez mate chill out, anyone reading that "Joke" who was offended and assumed i was a aggressive sort (as you put it) could read all my 622 posts and make their own mind up.

Now stop giving me a lecture  ;D

I was going to tell you to fick off but you would probably be offended   :laugh:

cavillas

Maxping very bad man. ;D ;D
------

maxping

Hey don't you start  ;D

cavillas

OK.  Maxping very nice man.  ;D
------

TimJ

Just a quick update.

As a result of my posts here Simon rang yesterday morning, the line was OK at the time, but it went slow again during the afternoon and I spend a some time going through tests with Miriam, and the conclusion was that the problem is somewhere between my router and IDNET.

Connecting to the BT Test domain (where the speedtester failed to work!) then reconnecting back to IDnet did restore the connection to full speed - but for how long - time will tell.

Anyway full marks to IDnet for their customer support.

Tim.

mrapoc

Just as simon told me  :)
QuoteConnecting to the BT Test domain (where the speedtester failed to work!) then reconnecting back to IDnet did restore the connection to full speed

maxping

This is getting beyond the joke, i haven't had anything to moan about for ages   :laugh:

philco

Well my connection has been fine for about a month and then suddenly i got the ping problems back. I had to do the bt speedtest login about 6 times before i got a decent connection but sure enough ive got sub 20ms pings now.

For anyone trying the bt test login.... remember that you may end up being connected to the same pipe again as they are allocated at random. Keep trying until you get a good one  ;)

maxping

Quote from: philco on Oct 09, 2006, 18:11:24

For anyone trying the bt test login.... remember that you may end up being connected to the same pipe again as they are allocated at random. Keep trying until you get a good one  ;)

I haven't used this method yet (and hope i don't need to) but if you eventually get a decent ping and then do not turn the router off does this guarantee you will always have a good ping?

philco

Although there is nothing to say the pipe your connected to won't start playing up it seemed to work for me for 4 weeks  :)

maxping

wolverene

I had nothing but trouble when I tried a pipe- so I went back to ciggies.
Please dont stop the thread about ping probs as I am just beginning to understand the jargon and not having anything to complain about after leaving PlusNet I`m starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

maxping

We cant stop it now we only have 713 views and I'm determined to get to 1000  :laugh:

TimJ

QuoteThis is getting beyond the joke, i haven't had anything to moan about for ages

I could post a load more awful l8nc plots :-[ but there would be little point.

QuoteI haven't used this method yet (and hope i don't need to) but if you eventually get a decent ping and then do not turn the router off does this guarantee you will always have a good ping?

Lasted for me from late Friday afternoon until I had a disconnection at Monday Lunchtime then it went bad.

Interesting that the l8nc plots of my 2 lines (on different exchanges) are now both awful and identical, so the problems are not exchange specific.

Tim.