The End of The Internet?

Started by Dazbobaby, Feb 12, 2008, 06:10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Thing is its not just music in torrents is it, there is always cracked software and personally I would happily see that stopped, yes maybe we are being ripped off for out AV,s and software but research costs money also, but with most offering great discounts (apart from Symantec) to carry on using their products after the first year it really gets me wound up when people pay X amount for an expensive pc then use cracked versions of windows, photoshop, AV's etc, I agree the governments idea is draconian but I would love to see the people with illegal software stopped in their tracks.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Most 'cracked' software does come at a price though.  The torrent community is rife with trojans and other nasties, so if you want to stay 'clean', stay legal.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Feb 13, 2008, 08:09:29
Most 'cracked' software does come at a price though.  The torrent community is rife with trojans and other nasties, so if you want to stay 'clean', stay legal.
Agreed Simon but many seem to get away with it still, personally I never use torrents like with live messenger I never use sharing folders, I have a great lack of trust in such things.

Rik

Can't argue with any of that. How does an ISP examine a binary packet and determine if it's illegal? Impossible, I'd say.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Feb 13, 2008, 09:52:06
Can't argue with any of that. How does an ISP examine a binary packet and determine if it's illegal? Impossible, I'd say.
I imagine it is Rik, but Microsoft would happily put something is their os that alerted somebody to illicit behaviour I would imagine, this country is really starting to try and get an iron grip on its populous, I wonder if its even p2p music downloads they worry about sometimes and just want to snoop to monitor us, then adjust the financial ratios so we can go buy more products to dumb us down, so discontent does not raise its head in the masses, after all a shiny new bluray player and LCD/Plasma will keep the population at home being  spoon fed propaganda and mind numbing drivel for quite a while.  >:D

Rik

You've been reading Orwell again, Gary. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Feb 13, 2008, 11:14:03
You've been reading Orwell again, Gary. :)
No Rik just watching the news on ;) any country that has devices that produce high pitched noise for the under 25's hearing range for dispersal worries me, even though we could do with a few round here saying that :)

Inactive

That was on my local news last night as well Gary, worrying development.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 13, 2008, 11:39:18
That was on my local news last night as well Gary, worrying development.
I agree with the principle I guess, its a hard one really, as Liberty say it infringes on their civil rights, saying that their behaviour infringes on mine, but I don't think electronic noise devices is the way to go, that's just plain scary

Inactive

Indeed Gary, they need to get to the root of the problem/s, these devices will only move the problem elsewhere.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 13, 2008, 11:43:51
Indeed Gary, they need to get to the root of the problem/s, these devices will only move the problem elsewhere.
Or they will get ear plugs  >:D

Rik

Of course, the use of MP3 players will soon render the devices ineffective anyway, as early damage occurs to their hearing.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

No doubt their hoods will mask most of the sound out.. ;)

Rik

It's when they start sewing ear protectors into the hoods...  :eyebrow:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 13, 2008, 11:49:50
No doubt their hoods will mask most of the sound out.. ;)
Actually the idea of a bunch of hooded teenagers bashing into each other because they cant' see properly, while trying to escape being deafened by a shrill high pitched noise is starting to appeal, great tv as well, much better than Big Brother. I can just imagine Brucy yelling "higher" to the audience >:D

madasahatter

Inactive

I have to be honest and admit it is starting to appeal to me as well..  ;)

Rik

Having been woken by a smoke alarm demanding a new battery at 5am, I'm all in favour of the technique.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Mine does that as well, bloody inconsiderate batteries..  ;)

Rik

It's all down to temperature, In, the house is probably at its coolest then, so battery voltage drops. Damned annoying...
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Feb 13, 2008, 12:14:29
It's all down to temperature, In, the house is probably at its coolest then, so battery voltage drops. Damned annoying...
That used to happen to my bike lights in the Winter Rik years back, in the end I wrapped it in that thin foam sheet you can get, and then it didn't get so cold

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Feb 13, 2008, 12:14:29

Not in my case Rik, I have storage heaters, it is like a bloody oven by 5' O'clock. ( a.m.)

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 13, 2008, 12:23:20
Not in my case Rik, I have storage heaters, it is like a bloody oven by 5' O'clock. ( a.m.)
But freezing by 8pm ;)

Rik

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 13, 2008, 12:23:20

In that case, you're suffering from malicious battery syndrome. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Killhippie on Feb 13, 2008, 12:26:23
But freezing by 8pm ;)

;D ;D Actually Gary, they are better than that because my timer is about 2 hours out on my Economy 7 .. in my favour, it doesn't come on til around 1.50 am, nice. ;)