The End of The Internet?

Started by Dazbobaby, Feb 12, 2008, 06:10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

If the Govt wants to act, it should be even-handed about it and ask the BPI why we are so massively over-charged in the UK.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Malc

Totally agree, 50% in the USA and parts of Europe.

It's rip off Britian again.

Eight years and I'm  :out:

Rik

We might even have a new PM by then. :)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Feb 15, 2008, 14:24:00
If the Govt wants to act, it should be even-handed about it and ask the BPI why we are so massively over-charged in the UK.

That would be far too much like using commmon sense, and actually doing the right thing for once. Because historically, like many industries, the record industry has got away with charging us far more for so long, they fail to see why it should change now. Other industries have had to adapt or die - it's time the record industry did the same, and it's time that the Government stood up and told them to. All makes me wonder how many brown envelopes with paper in are being passed around  ;)

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Feb 15, 2008, 14:28:23
We might even have a new PM by then. :)

New, but not necessarily with any different effect.

Malc

(S)he'd still be a lying, money grabbing  !%$*

Rik

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 15, 2008, 14:30:16
New, but not necessarily with any different effect.

I doubt we'd even notice...  :'(
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Unfortunately, you're probably spot on there  >:(

Rik

I did notice the Heath/Wilson change and the Callaghan/Thatcher. Since then...  :(
Rik
--------------------

Rik

I still wonder at the motivation of a Govt to protect the record industry while allowing it to over-charge us. :(
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Tht little useless money grabbing person, Andy Burham is our local MP for Atherton and Leigh. :rant2:

He's just sucking up the backsides of the big boys and nodding his head. What a wa----.

WHY is he not tiding up this town? Getting yobs of the street, getting amenaties? Isntead of running the town down?

He's got more than enough work here, instead of sticking his hooter into things that are nothing to do wih him.

End of the day it's about the money grabing Gvmnt and not local people.

:rant:

somanyholes

even at an isp level this is all pointless, people will just shift back on to encrypted usenet such as easynews giganews etc. All pointless and expensive. Idiots!

Malc

And no I didn't vote for him, I'd rather vote for Adlof Hitler  ;)

Rik

Quote from: somanyholes on Feb 22, 2008, 12:23:50
even at an isp level this is all pointless, people will just shift back on to encrypted usenet such as easynews giganews etc. All pointless and expensive. Idiots!

This is what niggles me. The politicians keep coming out with these soundbites, but they seem to have no concept of how the technology works.
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

i think this is probably due to consultants being paid a boatload of money to tell politicians what they want to hear, the consultants of course won't say the truth as they will get paid a boatload of cash. The nhs is probably a good example of this.

Rik

Where do I get an application form? :)
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

aparantly karoo are already sending these messages out, relating to suspensions etc, I also know someone who got a notification from ntl years ago.

Rik

I got one from NTL, they told me they wanted to increase their charge by 50%. I told them where they could put their connection (basic TV cable), and I haven't paid since. As I suspected, they haven't bothered to disconnect me.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

I got a letter for pipex, complaining about, not Torrents, but, volume of downloads.

Offering me to sign an agreement to reduce my unlimited broadband usage, or take a MAC code.

Needless to say, I opted for the second option.  ;D

Rik

Lucky escape if you ask me, Malc. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Crikey, that must be a first - Pipex offering a MAC code.  They really didn't like you, Malc!  ;D
Simon.
--

Malc

The sad part was, I had been complaining about speeds for 12 monthe prior, while getting anything I wanted over night.

Then a few days after asking for my MAC that letter arrived. WHY not 12 months earlier  ??? ???

Rik

Because they have a left hand and a right hand - and the two are not connected to the same brain (if any!!)?  :)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Readers of this thread might also want to take a look at ThinkBroadband, where Simon has given his views on the proposals.
Rik
--------------------