Router - leave it on or turn it off?

Started by maxping, Oct 01, 2006, 12:15:28

Previous topic - Next topic

maxping

I found this in another forum, if like me you turn your router off every time you turn the pc off it makes interesting reading.

This is the important one if you are on maxdsl

Disconnecting, stops your PPP (ISP) session then your ATM (connection at the exchange).

If you simply *pull the plug* the DLM at the exchange will think your connection has dropped for reasons such as poor SNR - do this too many times and the DLM may think your speed is too high to maintain a stable connection and lower your sync speed.

Therefore disconnecting a few times a day is certainly NOT recommended. Once a day - at night when you go to bed should be OK.

USB modems should be OK.. cause they shut down correctly when you shut down your PC...

the reason in general why there is more of a problem with them is because people may reboot their pc several times a day.. therefore we are in the situation where the DLM may think theres a line problem.

Ceri has been in the very unfortunate situation where hes actually experienced what happens when your router disconnects too many times... and his speed dropped down to abysmal levels.

Soooooo...

Leave it running = best.

Once a day = OK (if you must).

Turning it off when you nip to the shops for 1/2 an hour = NOPE.

Mr Booh

Hi,
I just leave my router on all the time.  Whether this is detrimental to the router I just don't know.

mrapoc

I turn mine off if the speeds go to poop and off maybe once a week at night

maxping

I turn mine off with the pc even if I'm just picking the wife up from work, i think i might start leaving it on unless i am going to be out for a few hours.

quandam

Can anyone tell me why they are turning their router off at all? Am I missing something? Is there any benefit from switching it off?
Look forward to your answers.

karvala

I don't routinely turn mine off at all; I would only do so if I were not going to use it for an extended period of time (i.e. a couple of weeks).

maxping

Quote from: quandam on Oct 02, 2006, 18:58:32
Can anyone tell me why they are turning their router off at all? Am I missing something? Is there any benefit from switching it off?
Look forward to your answers.

I'm probably being a bit paranoid but i don't like  leaving anything  plugged in when i am not around, the risk of the power pack or the modem/router catching fire is probably small but if its not on it cannot catch fire.

I will ask the question why leave it on all day and night if you only use it for a couple of hours in the evening?

sobranie

Quote from: maxping link=topic=604.msg6224#msg6224 date=1159812805

I will ask the question why leave it on all day and night if you only use it for a couple of hours in the evening?
/quote]

I continue to leave my router switched on 24/7.
Until such time as BT indefatigably confirm that switching a router on/off modifies settings in some way at the exchange, I will continue to do so.
Theories abound across all groups but BT state nowt !!!
Unless, of course, you are a clued up BT broadband engineer reading this in which case, what gives??