Kitz ISP comparison

Started by Noreen, Feb 14, 2008, 18:22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

We need to get the IDNet staff voting!!
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

I will leave my vote for a day or so, she may smell a rat, or accuse IDNetters of rigging the vote.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Noreen

I thought of posting on the f2support forum and suggesting that they voted but they know I've moved to IDNet and anyway it's in my signature there and my motive would be very apparent. ;D

Rik

I do think Kitz is going to have to take a look at the way she does the rankings if she is to be taken seriously. Placing an ISP top on the basis of one rating is crazy.
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

I have just added my twopennyworth!!  Told 'em to add more stars!  ::)

S'daft ..... if there was only one all 5 star vote cast, IDNet would be joint 1st.   With 21 votes now cast all catagories are 5 star, except 2 at 4 star.  Which drops us to 99%.  :rant2:

Cockeyed!!  :(
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Glenn

Just added my 5* votes
Glenn
--------------------

shazzy

Noreen

There's a thread about the new Kitz Rate Your ISP section on her forum. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1410.0

BTW I've decided to risk it and have posted on the f2s forum, so there might be more f2s customers voting one way or the other. :hide:

Got one reply so far.
QuoteWell, it does only have one rating, so it's not particularly representative

Rik

I still feel she needs to address the issue of weighting. One perfect review puts an ISP top, while IDNet with 24 perfect and two docked a star for VFM is second. Not statistically valid. :(
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I just hope that people aren't confusing the Value For Money rating with a rating as to whether it's cheap or not as of course they are two different things. However I do believe that people are free to give their honest opinion as they see it.

Malc

I've just done it from work ;)

It was Pipex! ;D

Gave them 1 for everything. ;D

Put in comments:

Slow and poor support, long waiting times

Appauling DL speeds  >:D >:D >:D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I've just read your Pipex rating, Malc, well done. All we want now is just one f2s user to give an honest rating but they seem too busy getting their MACs to bother at the moment.

kitz

Hiyas

Thanks to those of you who placed your votes  
I thought you may appreciate some comments which may help answer some of your concerns.

-------

The rate my ISP has only just come out of beta and hasn't really been mentioned anywhere as yet hence why it hasn't got a lot of votes in the system.

The reason its had low key mention so far is because I wanted to see how it was coping with identifying the ISPs - which touch wood its going ok on that. :)
Bear in mind I don't have ISP connections for IP lists, nor the funding to purchase them..  the site is independent and non-profit making and nor have an affiliation with any ISP. The project has been all my own code and burning the midnight oil stuff.

If a customer is happy with their lot and gives them 5/5 not much I can do about that - in  a similar way not much can be done about if a person who was miffed with a particular ISP gives it minimum scores across the board, despite the fact that it may be a damn good ISP.

As to weighting, whilst a good suggestion in theory - but reality weight against what 1 vote/100 votes/1000 votes?
The likes of TBB/DSLZone etc arent weighted either.... I dont think I've ever seen an ISP survey that is. The system uses the same calculation as on the likes of TBB/dslzone etc etc.
Look at in another way, would IDnetters be very happy if say IDNets 142 votes were weighted downwards against the 8789 votes from BT on TBB? In that climate, IDnet is at a clear advantage.

Something that could perhaps be implemented at a future date is an option to filter out ISPs with less than x votes. At the moment its not really practical due to the short period of time since its release.

>> I will leave my vote for a day or so, she may smell a rat, or accuse IDNetters of rigging the vote

Nah may as well vote now... The system already alerted me at 14-02-08 - 19:15 of possible irregularities and I've been monitoring whats been going on since then.  ;)

>> I thought of posting on the f2support forum

Whilst I haven't actually posted on the forum - I had already contacted Chaz yesterday asking if he'd be so kind as to do the honours.  
If he will do so now..   since its now been mentioned in another thread....  I dont know. :/

>> I do think Kitz is going to have to take a look at the way she does the rankings if she is to be taken seriously. Placing an ISP top on the basis of one rating is crazy.

As time goes by then the more votes the system has, the more accurate it will be. Its only just been released and as up to now, only mentioned at one other place.
- TBH Its not even been posted on my own ISPs community forums yet (nor has my own vote been placed). -
The only reason I had contacted Chaz was because I thought the 1 vote was out of place under the current climate at f2s ;) afaik this is its first mention on any of the ISP forums.

The 1 vote thing shouldn't be there for long. Although the system could identify several more ISPs, it is at the present time only open to those ISPs that I feel will be sufficient of to be able to give a fair rating.  I've already had a couple of requests to add some ISPs, but unfortunately these will be declined due to what I feel is insufficient valid voters to give a fair and proper representation... I dont want the likelyhood of votes being skewed in the long term by little known ISPs.

It is very early days right now - its taken months to code, test and implement...
So can I please just ask you guys to bear with it for a little longer until it has chance to get up and running properly. I can recall dslzones going through similar period when it was new too.

It does have the caveat

"These figures are intended as a guide based on ratings by visitors to this site. As with any survey it may or may not be reflective of total usage in the UK. - More votes per ISP is likely to give a more accurate result. "

Its intended as a guide to help other users choose an ISP - Not a competition and attempting to sway results by making multi-votes or giving all 1's to other ISPs doesn't really help anyone :(  

Therefore I do think I need to add something to the site - a warning that suspected multi-votes or invalid votes will be removed. So thank you for helping bring that to my attention ;)  
Although I had considered the possibility of this occurring, I had thought that it was perhaps more likely to occur with a disgruntled user, rather than users trying to push their ISP to the top of the list. :D

As some of your are probably already aware... the system does do everything that possibly can to prevent rigging - not just on IPs. But there is always someone who is determined to bypass it.. in exactly the same way that the TBB one can be bypassed. ;)

Thanks for reading this hope its alleviated some concerns..  
and most of all thank you to those who took the time to record ratings for your ISP :)

Rik

Hi Kitz

Welcome to our place and thanks for taking the time to explain your system. As you will realise, we have at least two opinions on everything. ;) We really appreciate the work you do, though, and regularly direct people to your site to save us re-inventing the wheel.  :-*

:welc: :karmic:
Rik
--------------------

kitz

QuoteF2S  IP 83.xx.xx.xx  3  1  1  1  1  Tiscali cr*p  15-02-08 - 17:44 

There you go someone else has rated... 
told you it wouldnt stay like that for long    :D

Simon

:welc:  Kitz, and thanks for coming to the wicket so openly.  :)
Simon.
--

Noreen

Just love the latest f2s comment on Kitz's rating site :rofl:

Malc

Don't really follow that post, is the person complaining about the 1 votes.

Its intended as a guide to help other users choose an ISP - Not a competition and attempting to sway results by making multi-votes or giving all 1's to other ISPs doesn't really help anyone  

If so, and this is from experience, this is why I put 1's and why I'm happy to pay several £'s more here for what it advertised.

Pipex

1 Liars, claim they don't throttle lines or port block. They do.
2 Claim they're not tiscalli, they are.
3 Took me 3 WEEKS to get my MAC by law it should be 5 working days, c--k ups and lies, only mention of offcom got it.
4 Say they are unlimited, but complain when you download.
5 Absolutely appalling download speeds 7am to 12pm.
6 High line contention.
7 Take forever to answer calls.
8 Most staff seem to be reading from script and have no idea.
9 I tried to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period at the beginning of my contract, but they insisted the start date was from when I placed my order, it took them 16 days to transfer me.
10 Left me with no phone line for 2 days when I was unbundled, BT sorted it out.

That's why I gave 1's.

Simon

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be funny!  I just meant thanks for addressing the issues raised.  ;)
Simon.
--

Simon

I'm giving up posting by phone.  I can't keep up!  ;D
Simon.
--

Noreen

Simon, I hope that my post wasn't confusing, I was laughing at the comment on Kitz's site not your post. :)

Malc

Just added my 5's, can't fault Idnet apart from I've lost my insanity since coming here >:D, at least Noreen is restoring it for me ;)

kitz

>> or giving all 1's to other ISPs doesn't really help anyone

Wasnt meaning you specifically Malc... if thats what you thought?
- when posting that I was actually recalling something I'd seen recently of someone giving IDNET all 1's elsewhere.. and I meant in general terms.

Rik

We have our ways, though, Malc.  >:D
Rik
--------------------