More arrests for pinching wireless

Started by madasahatter, Feb 21, 2008, 10:42:55

Previous topic - Next topic

madasahatter

Quote from: Killhippie on Feb 21, 2008, 12:30:11
Thats true In, but god help you if you try to defend yourself to forcefully, the thief will have you in court otherwise :rant2:

Unfortunately that is true, but that is one of the main problems with our justice system - the perpetrator has more rights than the victim. To me, if you are somewhere you shouldn't be, doing something you shouldn't be, then you should be considered to have given up all your rights, and therefore whatever happens to you is on your own head.  :rant2:

somanyholes

I know what you guys are saying, and yes i agree, but we all know its not the simple. We shut the door and lock it for securitys sake. Ideal world = dream
If somebody is burgaled and they have left the door wide open, I  have no sypathy for them, do you?
If somebody is burgaled and they shut the door but didn't lock it, I think silly person? Do you?
If somebody is burgaled and they shut the door and lock it, I think thats awful but could they have done more, security system etc, do you?
f somebody is burgaled and they shut the door and lock it, and have a security system, I think thats bloody awful. Do you? to right you do

The wireless door is the same to me, can we all honestly say we have never even hit connect just to see what happened. Maybe this is just the younger generations view of things.
Thats not meant as an offence ;)

Rik

My household insurance started off wanting me to have BS 5-lever locks, graduated to a NACOS alarm system, then finally insisted that the alarm was on at nights, even if we are in the house. I'm waiting for the razor wire to become a condition. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Mine insisted on window locks, and offered a discount for an alarm, but I guess that's not uncommon.
Simon.
--

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Feb 21, 2008, 12:35:09
I know what you guys are saying, and yes i agree, but we all know its not the simple. We shut the door and lock it for securitys sake. Ideal world = dream
If somebody is burgaled and they have left the door wide open, I  have no sypathy for them, do you?
If somebody is burgaled and they shut the door but didn't lock it, I think silly person? Do you?
If somebody is burgaled and they shut the door and lock it, I think thats awful but could they have done more, security system etc, do you?
f somebody is burgaled and they shut the door and lock it, and have a security system, I think thats bloody awful. Do you? to right you do

The wireless door is the same to me, can we all honestly say we have never even hit connect just to see what happened. Maybe this is just the younger generations view of things.
Thats not meant as an offence ;)

If someone is burgled, yes I have sympathy for them whatever the circumstances. I may think they were silly for not locking the door, say, but I still have sympathy for them.

As for the younger generation bit - you're getting older by the day mate - be catching up to me soon ;)

somanyholes

nooooooo 3 years off 30 mate, going to make them last 10 years if i can  ;D

Inactive

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 21, 2008, 12:43:56
If someone is burgled, yes I have sympathy for them whatever the circumstances. I may think they were silly for not locking the door, say, but I still have sympathy for them.

Same here.

And NO I have never clicked on an open wireless link.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Feb 21, 2008, 12:46:02
nooooooo 3 years off 30 mate, going to make them last 10 years if i can  ;D

that's funny - you were 32 on your last birthday I thought ;D

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Feb 21, 2008, 12:49:34
i feel a poll coming on ...

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2007/11/wi-fi.html

Have to admit that those figures do surprise me - 54% admitting to using someone else's wireless sounds a very high figure to me, but there you go - shows how much I know dunnit?  :)

Rik

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 21, 2008, 12:51:06
that's funny - you were 32 on your last birthday I thought ;D

Well, he didn't say which side of 30... ;)
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

:-[ lol

more than anything i think its curiosity that makes people piggyback, then the need for data.

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Feb 21, 2008, 12:54:34
Well, he didn't say which side of 30... ;)

;D

I'm only being naughty to wind him up Rik  >:D

somanyholes

i thought hoobs where meant to be nice, obviously got the bad one  ;)

Inactive

I suppose it very much depends on where that survey was carried out.

Nobody asked me. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Feb 21, 2008, 12:58:22
i thought hoobs where meant to be nice, obviously got the bad one  ;)

Yep indeedy do  ;D

madasahatter

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 21, 2008, 12:58:38
I suppose it very much depends on where that survey was carried out.

Nobody asked me. ;)

That's the thing with any of these surveys though isn't it? They never really tell you anything unless you know where and how they were carried out, were any specific groups targeted, were any particular ages targeted, and what were the actual questions asked. Without all that info (and more) surveys really are pretty useless to be honest as you can't draw any real conclusions from them.

somanyholes

is there a poll facility on this site can be user initiated

somanyholes

have answered own question, its right in front of me ... sods law

Inactive

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Feb 21, 2008, 12:37:32
My household insurance started off wanting me to have BS 5-lever locks, graduated to a NACOS alarm system, then finally insisted that the alarm was on at nights, even if we are in the house. I'm waiting for the razor wire to become a condition. :(
How about bricking up every door and window in the house while your inside?  ::)

Some do take it 2 far, just like this wireless cr*p, I haven't read every post but i say its the owners of the routers that are to blame. It comes with a manual, if they aint sure, they should read it.

If you leave your car unlocked theres a 50/50 chance it will get nicked. Same as wireless, if its open theres a 50/50 chance someone is going to use it.

My boss couldn't access the internal server the other day, this was because his laptop connected automatically to the nearest open router which was nextdoors. So are they going to make microsoft to ship laptops with this option disabled?

Malc

Quote from: Simon on Feb 21, 2008, 11:26:08
More fool the 'victim' for not using proper wireless security.   :eyebrow:

This worries me, I'm new to this router lark, I just plugged it in and away I went, it's only connected to the one PC ATM, should I have done something else?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Malc on Feb 21, 2008, 14:02:29
This worries me, I'm new to this router lark, I just plugged it in and away I went, it's only connected to the one PC ATM, should I have done something else?

Are you using wireless or just wires, Malc. If the latter, disable wireless in the router setup.
Rik
--------------------