Have you ever Piggybacked wireless (even hit connect)

Started by somanyholes, Feb 21, 2008, 13:44:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 21, 2008, 15:35:47
don't let the men in white coats come for me please Gary - I'm happy where I am  ;D
You're safe on this forum Mad, don't worry ;D ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lance

My answer is a yes! A couple of times when I've house sat my girlfriend's sisters' place, I've taken my lappy and logged on a network in range! Out of curiosity, I once found the ip of the router, logged onto it using the default username and password and saw which isp they were using - it was talk talk!

The thing is, when I have three different unprotected networks to choose from when I'm there, ranging from strong to medium signals, I'm spoilt for choice!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Captain K

Yes, a couple of times.  Once at home, to see which of my neighbours was being such a wally.  The second time was when on hols in Australia at Christmas - no internet connection in our apartment, but it was a large apartment block and the wife "badly" needed the internet, so I had a snoop.  5 unsecured networks in range!  I let her send a couple of emails before guilt got the better of my and I disconnected.  :angel:
Bruce.

I don't trust Camels.  Or any other creature that can go a week without a drink.

Baz

question here. If you 'used' someone elses connection do they get any indication on their system that some one has connected

Lance

Possibly not. The 2wire 2700HGV does show devices which have connected, whether they are currently active or not. It shows them either by PC name or ip number (in the case of my mobile phone). However, my linksys never used to show anything like that at all.

The only way they may be able to tell is if they see the lights on the router flashing when they wouldn't expect them to be.
Lance
_____

Baz

what about along the lines of similar to plugging in a USB pen drive, you get the icon popping up in the taskbar...anything like that.

I would like to think that if I was daft enough to not secure my network that I would at least be able to tell if someone was using it.

Saying that though, I still know of people that dont have any AV protection on their machines  :o :o.  never understand that

Lance

I don't think you'll get anything like that Baz. Like i said above, I think the only way you'll ever tell if someone has used your connection is by either getting a 2wire 2700 or by watching your activity lights on the router.
Lance
_____

Rik

Or, if you're not using wireless yourself and the light comes on... Lance is right though, check the network, it will show you what has connected and whether it's active, to a point.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

Rik

I have some Freudian training if you want to discuss it, Ann. ;)
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Simon

Don't tell me you never had a wireless, Mo! 

;D
Simon.
--

Lance

Lance
_____

MoHux

Oh! You are iggerant!!  Us technically minded people call them things RADIOS!!  :sigh:

"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Simon

Did you know, they don't even have valves any more? 
Simon.
--

MoHux

Valves??  My cars got valves.  :-\  My radio has this little crystal.  I keep pinching the cats whiskers, but I still can't get it to work!!  :stars:

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Try the other cat's whisker, Mo. :) (Actually, I remember building crystal sets as a kid...)
Rik
--------------------

Moley

Yes but by mistake have to say!  One of my neighbours has an unprotected network - now WEP or WPA - and my laptop connected to it when my isp was down (Tiscali strikes again).  I wish I knew who it belonged to so I could warn them..

Rik

If you right-click the connectoid in the system tray, Chris, you can 'view all networks', if you see it there, its SSID may give you a clue.
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

QuoteYes but by mistake have to say!  One of my neighbours has an unprotected network - now WEP or WPA - and my laptop connected to it when my isp was down (Tiscali strikes again).  I wish I knew who it belonged to so I could warn them..

just use a laptop and use netsumbler, you can then walk around and see how string signal strength is, the stronger the signal the nearer you are to it. However people may not take kindly to being told, as they may think you have been doing things, you can never tell how people will react.

Philip

Ted

Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

somanyholes

all it is, is passive scanning so there is no risk. You are not actually connecting to any devices so laws are not broken by looking at signal strength.

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Feb 23, 2008, 19:30:28
just use a laptop and use netsumbler, you can then walk around and see how string signal strength is

Anyone who actually does that really does need to get a life  ;D