Well i've waited.........

Started by psp83, Feb 22, 2008, 08:26:35

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Well i've waited the 14 days and my SNR hasn't dropped down 3  :(

Should i contact support and ask them to kick BT err sorry, i mean ask BT to nudge it down?  ;D

Lance

I would wait to the 15 day - it may be 14 full days are required. You will probably also have to force a re-sync to see the change take effect.

Of course, if you've done both those, give support a call and let them know. I'm sure they kick hard!  >:D
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

hi lance,

I waited 14 days and 18hrs, I rebooted the router this morning due to a change i made to the settings and the router resynced at 12 SNR.

Think i'll drop an email to support in abit.

Lance

Sounds like the best way forwarrd. Good luck!
Lance
_____

psp83

James has suggested using the DMT tool since BT won't nudge the SNR down...

Any tips on setting this up? tried it before but kept getting an error message about the port or something along them lines.

Rik

Any reason why BT won't change it, Paul?

I've never used DMT, but there's a lot of users on ThinkBroadband if you get no responses here.
Rik
--------------------

Si

I believe Kitz has a "how-to" section on using DMT on her site in the tutorials section (but only particular versions, from memory).

See "DMT Tool" from the menu on the left...
Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Feb 22, 2008, 12:26:37
Any reason why BT won't change it, Paul?

I've never used DMT, but there's a lot of users on ThinkBroadband if you get no responses here.

Because my line is performing better than it should at the current SNR..

I've had top sync for over 6months when i joined and they wont give it back to me  >:(

Rik

Is there nothing they can do about that, Paul - I'm assuming you're above FTR?
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Yes, my FTR is 4.5mb i'm syncing at 6.5 and over..

BT are refusing to reduce the SNR due to this.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

psp83

Yep. makes me hate them even more now!!!  :mad:

Rik

Is that actually possible??  ;D
Rik
--------------------

psp83

i'm sure i can push a little bit more hate out from somewhere  :P

Odos

I've used the DMT tool for quite some time now and find it good. Only drawback is that you must have the correct version for your router AND the router firmware must support it. I use it with a speedtouch but not the latest firmware because that locks out DMT.

The only time I've hit the "port" error was when I tried using it on a Belkin 7633 with the latest firmware which doesn't allow telnetting into the router. So the question is have you got the correct DMT, router, firmware combination ?

Tony

Malc

Sebby

It's a shame they won't play ball. After all, if your line can't cope, the DLM will sort it, so I don't know why they won't give it a chance. Anyway, just be careful with the DMT Tool as you can screw things up further. :)

colirv

Quote from: Odos on Feb 22, 2008, 22:02:57
So the question is have you got the correct DMT, router, firmware combination ?

Then once you've got the DMT tool logged into your router, you need to go to Special, Misc Options and tick "unlock experimental area". The Modemoptions tab should appear. Click it. Untick Default SNRM. Adjust the slider a little (up to increase SNR margin, down to decrease). Click "apply/resync", wait 20-30 secs while it does it. If now happy with figures click "save settings". If not, repeat above. I have it saved with a low SNR margin so that if my router resyncs when I'm not there it resyncs high (albeit it potentially unstable) thereby not dropping profile - and I can adjust it when I next log in.
Colin

Lance

I wonder if Paul could ask for a new training period? This may sort out the issue of 'his line performing better than it should'.
Lance
_____

Rik

Interesting idea, Lance. No harm in asking.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Lance on Feb 23, 2008, 12:14:54
I wonder if Paul could ask for a new training period? This may sort out the issue of 'his line performing better than it should'.

I've always had top sync except for when the line went through a bad time with tiscali and was forced to get my SNR put to 15 to stable it out. I joined IDnet and had top speeds until i changed to a 2wire.. this didnt like my line and caused alot of syncs one night and raised my SNR...

So i dont know why BT wont put it back to normal because it wasn't a line problem it was a router problem, they even said that.

But i'm happy with a 6800+ sync, 5mb and over is fine with me.

Inactive

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 23, 2008, 23:24:21
I've always had top sync except for when the line went through a bad time with tiscali and was forced to get my SNR put to 15 to stable it out. I joined IDnet and had top speeds until i changed to a 2wire.. this didnt like my line and caused alot of syncs one night and raised my SNR...

Hi Paul, I have a good line, I also have tried a few 2700's, one didn't work at all, two dropped my line down to around 500, all were the single ssid ones, I then borrowed a double ssid one and it worked fine, not sure if this may be related.

BTW, the 3 single ssid ones all came from DD on eBay. ???
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

psp83

i had a double ssid, simon now has it and was working fine until he had probs with wireless.

so the 2wire just didnt like my line, just like me and bt, we dont get on well  ;D

Simon

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 23, 2008, 23:34:21
i had a double ssid, simon now has it and was working fine until he had probs with wireless.

so the 2wire just didnt like my line, just like me and bt, we dont get on well  ;D

Yes, that was definitely your one that the wireless died on, Paul, and after about 10 days use, so I wonder if it was just a bit of a runt?
Simon.
--

psp83

BT speed test.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6816 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5393 kbps

This one was over wireless so i dont know if that does anything to speeds!