Members might be interested

Started by Rik, Feb 26, 2008, 01:02:19

Previous topic - Next topic

madasahatter

It's ceratinly an interesting read, and does make you wonder what is going on behind the scenes that you don't know about, but then again I suppose its like a lot of things - most people wouldn't even notice....

Rik

No, as things stand, you'd have to be looking for this. Which makes you wonder whether the Data Protection Act has been breached and whether using OpenDNS would overcome the issue.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

madasahatter

The data protection angle is something I've wondered about since this idea came up - not been able to find out much about it though, but in effect, the ISP is using data in a way that has not been agreed to. There may well be some lawyers working on this right now.

Rik

That's my thought, certainly the ICO should be looking into it.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Feb 27, 2008, 18:25:19
I saw that earlier.  >:(
I notice it says  "Phorm chief executive Kent Ertegrul has claimed he is in talks with every UK ISP" So does that mean he has been knocking on IDNets door and getting no reply since Simon has never heard of him :) seems like Phorm trying to sell itself from a universal perspective to make us happy that all ISP's will use them.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

I'm sure you're right, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: Rik on Feb 26, 2008, 01:02:19
To read this thread on ThinkBroadband.

There's more on this story at El Reg.

:dv:

if only these sites read IDNetters regularly they could have carried this story 2 weeks ago.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

You expect me to remember posts!!  :o  ;D
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Update on this story here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_broadband_isp_targets/

Interesting that the Sky spokesman talks about only implementing a solution that uses data in a way that safeguards privacy. Surely, this whole thing is, by its very nature, an invasion of privacy?

Gary

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 29, 2008, 10:38:36

Interesting that the Sky spokesman talks about only implementing a solution that uses data in a way that safeguards privacy. Surely, this whole thing is, by its very nature, an invasion of privacy?
Sadly Mad, the term invasion of privacy is just that theses days, a term but with no actual practice behind it

madasahatter

Quote from: Killhippie on Feb 29, 2008, 10:40:50
Sadly Mad, the term invasion of privacy is just that theses days, a term but with no actual practice behind it

Unless you've got money that is  >:(

Gary

Rik

Sky doesn't understand the nature of privacy, it recently decided to sell on customer data unless they opted out - the notification wasn't terribly visible. :(

This quote amused me, "BT Retail's deal with Phorm does not affect BT's dozens of wholesale ISP customers, including PlusNet, which BT Group owns. A spokesman at the Sheffield-based provider could not be reached today, but product manager Ian Wild told subscribers in its forums: "We'd certainly do an opt-in or opt-out with something like this if we ever did it.

"Just to say again though, I'm pretty neutral from a product manager perspective as long as our customers are happy, and from a personal perspective it's something I might well choose to opt-out of unless the reason not to was very compelling.""
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 29, 2008, 10:38:36

That is " Sky Speak " Mad, they use a different form of the English language to the rest of us, one that fit's their need greed. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Feb 29, 2008, 10:44:36
This quote amused me, "BT Retail's deal with Phorm does not affect BT's dozens of wholesale ISP customers, including PlusNet, which BT Group owns. A spokesman at the Sheffield-based provider could not be reached today, but product manager Ian Wild told subscribers in its forums: "We'd certainly do an opt-in or opt-out with something like this if we ever did it.

"Just to say again though, I'm pretty neutral from a product manager perspective as long as our customers are happy, and from a personal perspective it's something I might well choose to opt-out of unless the reason not to was very compelling.""

Yes - that amused me too - in other words "don't you dare do it to me, but it's OK to do it to everyone else"

Rik

Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

I think it should be an absolute requirement that the ISPs implementing any such system HAVE to inform their customers clearly and fully by letter, e-mail, or a clear announcement on their website (not hidden away in a corner somewhere), together with a clear, easy path to opt out. Again, Ofcom is conspicuous in its absence in this debate - they are supposed to be on our side, yet this measure is clearly not in our interest.

Rik

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 29, 2008, 11:01:49
Again, Ofcom is conspicuous in its absence in this debate - they are supposed to be on our side, yet this measure is clearly not in our interest.

I sometimes think Ofcom exists merely for its own pleasure.  >:(
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Just another regulatory body with no real teeth, that doesn't do anything apart from sit around, put out soundbites, and get paid from taxes.

Inactive

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 29, 2008, 11:07:36
Just another regulatory body with no real teeth, that doesn't do anything apart from sit around, put out soundbites, and get paid from taxes.

Agreed Mad, jobs for the boys ( girls ). ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

You left out "and makes decisions which are not in the public interest", eg auctioning off the bandwidth from the digital TV switchover, despite the broadcaster and industry generally wanting part of it retained for HD.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 29, 2008, 11:09:35
Agreed Mad, jobs for the boys ( girls ). ;)

Why don't us living in the real world ever get offered these cushy numbers though In?  :mad:

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Feb 29, 2008, 11:11:01
You left out "and makes decisions which are not in the public interest", eg auctioning off the bandwidth from the digital TV switchover, despite the broadcaster and industry generally wanting part of it retained for HD.

Exactly. I know this is taking us away form the topic, but the whole digital switchover is so that the government can get its hands on pots of money selling off the bandwidth - nothing to do with improving the service whatsoever.

Rik

Ah, you've noticed that, have you? Better add your name to the list then. ;)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Feb 29, 2008, 11:19:01
Ah, you've noticed that, have you? Better add your name to the list then. ;)

:eek4: You're not reporting to the thought police are you?  ;D