Is there a FAQ section for people thinking of joining?

Started by Nerval, Oct 12, 2006, 12:16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerval

Hello there,  :)

I'm one of many (I suspect) thinking of leaving Plusnet, and have looked around the idnet pages for information.on the 30GB a month Max package for residential users.

Some answers become apparent by just browsing round long enough - e'g'
what happens if you go over the 30GB? you pay £1 a GB.
Do uploads count in the traffic? No they're not counted (I think)
Can I contact support by phone? Yes, in office hours, weekdays only, freephone.
Is there any traffic management at all? No
Are there any peak or off peak times?  No
So there are no periods when downloads are "free"? No

But I can't yet find the answers to others and was hoping they're all covered in a FAQ somewhere.
Things I need to know include:

Can I pay by DD instead of Credit card?
Can I specify when to transfer? - I don't want transferring at 4.55pm on a Friday when you all go home for the weekend and I can't get through to you if there's a problem.
Is there a bandwidth monitor so that I can check my usage?
Can I set warning limits to stop me exceeding the bandwidth?
Are there any things not included that I'd normally expect from an ISP?  All I do is mail, browsing, P2P, and straight downloads of programs, updates  etc as required.
How many users are there?
How many technical staff does idnet employ?

And if you haven't got a FAQ, it might be a useful addition. ;)

thompson

Haha! What a coincidence to plusnet customers both considering leaving plusnet and both posting threads asking questions within 20 minutes of each other :D

And yes an FAQ would be useful!

Gilba

They don't do DD atm.

Can I specify when to transfer? - I don't want transferring at 4.55pm on a Friday when you all go home for the weekend and I can't get through to you if there's a problem.

You specify a date to transfer when you order. Otherwise it is normally 3 working days.

There is a usage service on the portal but is a bit crude. Only updates when you reconnect.

No there is no option for that but i think someone might ring to tell you that you are getting close to the cap.

Are there any things not included that I'd normally expect from an ISP?  All I do is mail, browsing, P2P, and straight downloads of programs, updates  etc as required.

You get unlimited free email addresses.

Don't know.

Scott

Quote from: Nerval on Oct 12, 2006, 12:16:46
Hello there,  :)

Welcome Nerval !

Some answers become apparent by just browsing round long enough - e'g'
what happens if you go over the 30GB? you pay £1 a GB.
Do uploads count in the traffic? No they're not counted (I think)
Correct - they're not counted.

Can I contact support by phone? Yes, in office hours, weekdays only, freephone.
Is there any traffic management at all? No
Are there any peak or off peak times?  No
So there are no periods when downloads are "free"? No
But I can't yet find the answers to others and was hoping they're all covered in a FAQ somewhere.
Things I need to know include:

CS will be sure to have an answer to that for you

Yep - I asked when was a good time and was told when to hit the MAC button on my old ISP - came off without a hitch

Yep - monitored between conn/dis-conn to IDNet's radius server(s) and gives you a total for the month to-date, and interpolates that out to a 30 estimate.

Nope...why ? If you're concerned about bandwith overuse a different package or ISP might be a better option.

Sounds pretty vanilla to me - similar to my activities actually and there's nothing I miss with them...No News servers but there's plenty free online.

Been asked before and as Simon said "...none of your beeswax"

Enough ! I've called a few times and rarely hold for more than 4 rings !!

And if you haven't got a FAQ, it might be a useful addition. ;)

Good suggestion - there's a lot of this info spread around the whole forum but it'd be a good idea to bring it all into one place for easy viewing. Leave it with us.

Cheers
Scott
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

Nerval

Thank you both for your quick reply. :police:

I'm not worried about going over the bandwidth limit Scott, it's just that with Plusnet, even though I don't use a lot, you're always looking over your shoulder for threats or throttling.

If I were interested enough, I could get the idnet accounts I suppose, it's just that not having heard of them till today, I wanted an indication of their relative size.  The simplicity of the portal seems to say that they're not that big really.

I've asked for my MAC.

cavillas

Big doesn't mean better.  IdNet have been in the business for 10 years and have been Business orientated for most of that time.  They have brought that CS and experience to their growing residential base.  They are by far one of the best ISP's in the business.

Don't forget simplicity means eficiency. :)
------
Alf :)

Nerval

Thanks cavillas.  You misunderstood.  If the answer had been "200,000 customers and 600 support staff", you wouldn't have seen me for dust.   :laugh: :laugh:

maxping

Quote from: Nerval on Oct 12, 2006, 13:37:39

If I were interested enough, I could get the idnet accounts I suppose, it's just that not having heard of them till today, I wanted an indication of their relative size.  The simplicity of the portal seems to say that they're not that big really.

I would Rather be with a small provider  than some big company that couldn't give a toss about its users.

I joined IDNet from Freedom2surf and one of the main reasons was the positive feedback in the forums mostly about the customer support, i made a good choice  ;)

stevelondon

Same for me i joined (from Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange (chokes) through researching the forums IDNet seemed best for me and what a difference.