zrerz speed test

Started by zrerz, Feb 29, 2008, 12:18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

zrerz

Hi,

MAC code worked so I'm with IDNet 100% now.

Just got this from the BT speedtester, how does it look, are these figures good?

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5942 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Rik

The speed is a bit low for the profile, but you've gone onto the maximum profile, so no problems there.

What MTU/RWIN values are you using?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zrerz

Think the MTU is either auto, or 1472, I'll check and report back soon

krysia

My throughput also fluctuates quite a bit, so I sent the results of two BT speedtests done the same day to James to ask whether there was a problem.  Here are the results, below which is James's reply:

Feb 28
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4394 kbps

later the same day
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6493 kbps

James wrote:  'your connection speeds are also governed by the setup in the exchange, normally you are contending with up to 50 people. although the speed test does not give an amazing result there is no guarantee that you will always get a full 7mb result from the speedtester's. depending on different times of day you will see fluctuations in your connection speed.'

So I gather it's normal to sometimes have a low throughput even though the sync rate and everything else is fine.

Rik

It also depends on how 'tight' your exchange is for capacity, Krysia. I rarely see any drop in speed. It's a shame that BT control that element of the connection, I'm sure IDNet could do better.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

This does seem to be something affecting a few users of late. It's difficult to say what's causing it, though we can be pretty certain that it's not IDNet. The most likely cause is exchange congestion; you can check the status of yours here. Perhaps BT aren't upgrading capacity at the moment what with 21CN preparations, though that is a complete guess.

Simon_idnet

BT do state that at times of peak usage IPstream Max may only achieve a throughput of 2Mbps.
S

Sebby

Thanks, Simon. Some people never experience a slowdown whilst others do, so it must be exchange-specific.