Email problem

Started by Foxtrot, Mar 02, 2008, 09:20:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxtrot

Hi everyone,

I have just joined Idnet and seem to be having problems changing my outlook email settings.
Having configured my settings with pop3.idnet.com(incoming) and smtp.idnet.com(outgoing).
when I test the account I am getting an error:
"Outlook could not connect to the incoming pop3 mail server because the server did not accept your username and password"
I have logged on okay using webmail

Can anyone help please

Rik

Hi Foxtrot and welcome to the forum, have a karma. :)  :welc: :karmic:

Are you using the full username to logon? Outlook, by default, takes user@idnet.com and makes the logon name user. It needs to be the whole name.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Hi Foxtrot and a warm welcome to IDNetters.

Have a welcome Karma.

:karmic: :welc:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Ray

Hi Foxtrot, :welc: and Idnet have a welcome :karmic:
Ray
--------------------

Foxtrot

Hi Rik,

I am using my username@idnet.com
I will have to get on to the help desk tomorrow

Foxtrot

Rik

Mmm. If the password is working on webmail, it should be OK, but I have heard of cases where support have had to reset the password on the server. I'd suggest doing two things:

1) Create another account, see if that works. If it does, it's almost certainly a password reset
2) Once you've done that, drop IDNet an email, support@idnet.net, explaining the problem. You might find they can resolve it today.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Hi,Just a thought you are using your email password and not your idnet login password. I have to admit I have made that mistake before :blush:
Steve
------------

Foxtrot

Rik,

I have tried as you suggested but I get the same error.
I have even changed my password

There must be something I am missing

When I look at my email account I see the test messages.

This is a real puzzler, I can not figure out why I keep getting a login prompt for my password

Thanks for your help

Foxtrot

Hi Steve,

I am using my email password

Thanks for your suggestion

Rik

This is one of those situations where we can be of limited help, because we can't ask you to give us the email address and password. As far as I can see, you are setting things up correctly, so I think you will need help from support. You might want to read this FAQ, in case it triggers any thoughts.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

My final thoughts SPA is not required i.e box unticked. SMTP server secure login not required

Steve
Steve
------------

Sebby

Welcome, Foxtrot! :karmic:

I can't think what else it could be. Perhaps try setting it up in Outlook Express to see if this is an Outlook problem.