moving to max?

Started by zulander, Mar 03, 2008, 23:58:22

Previous topic - Next topic

zulander

Hello im on a fixed 2meg line at mo which is nice and stable and pretty quick. As i pay the same for this as an ADSL Max line im wondering if i should give max a try - i think i might see a small increase in speed but not sure my line is good enough for it. these are my stats:

noise margin    UP:+26.0 DOWN:+10.1
Attenuation      UP+27.5  DOWN +48.9

What do people think?
thanks

Rik

Hi Zu

That d/s margin is very low for a fixed-rate connection at that attenuation. Could you post your sync speeds please, I'm wondering if you're actually on a Max connection which is throttled to 2Mbps.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zulander

cheers for that, didnt even think of being of throttled line. Where do i pull my sync speed from? From my modem?  - i should know really but just to make sure im getting the right bit of info. thanks

Rik

The modem or router should give you the speed. Check the Kitz site http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm if you're not sure how to extract the info.
Rik
--------------------

zulander

Annoyingly i dont seem to be able to get the sync speed out of my old Origo ASU 8000 modem. I tried installing a mates modem but that just wouldnt play ball. If i go into the Origo control panel all i have is Bytes recived and transmitted, Receive Rate which is 2272kbits/s and transmit rate wich is 288kbs.

Rik

TBH, it's probably not worth moving. You are on fixed rate at the moment, but because of that low noise margin, you're not going to gain any significant d/s speed. If you upload a lot, you might just benefit, but in your shoes I'd probably plump for stability and stay with the fixed rate product.
Rik
--------------------

zulander

thanks for that. U have been v quick at replying! Ill stick with a stable line for now

Rik

Rik
--------------------