Which modem to buy for Mac OS X?

Started by LinLin, Mar 01, 2008, 18:58:36

Previous topic - Next topic

LinLin

Thank you, thank you, thank you for answering the original question about what works well with Macs. Very happy to know about the Netgear product.

On the zoom product, I've tried using Netscape 7.2 and Safari, both programs the manual says will work. But in neither case does the internet connection come up. That's what prompted me to try the Internet Connect panel. As I understand it, there's no good reason for there to be no connection. The diagnostics all pass, the pings pass, adsl and ethernet connections pass...

I really appreciate all the help and assistance here. Thank you all. Will let you know when I migrate over to idnet and become part of the "family".

:)

Rik

We'll be able to help more then, LinLin, as we'll have an idea of what's happening on the other side of the modem, so to speak. (Plus you'll have a support team who know Macs...)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I wondering if the problem here is that the router is all connected fine to the web, its just that there is something dodgy going on in the mac which is causing it not to find the internet connection via the router. Maybe it's looking for a dial up connection instead?

When you say all the diagnostics pass, Linlin, is that from within the routers config pages? Or your mac?
Lance
_____

Najarak

Quote from: Lance on Mar 02, 2008, 12:26:47
I wondering if the problem here is that the router is all connected fine to the web, its just that there is something dodgy going on in the mac which is causing it not to find the internet connection via the router. Maybe it's looking for a dial up connection instead?

When you say all the diagnostics pass, Linlin, is that from within the routers config pages? Or your mac?

Lance,
With a Mac it should connect automatically as soon as the ethernet cable is connected. A friend once brought his iMac over here, the iMac had only ever been used on dial up; I connected the ethernet cable and within 10 seconds it was up and running on the internet. I did not have to set anything on his iMac.

Reading post #3 in this thread
QuoteBut the line is fine -- it's the same line I'm using now with my PC and the old SpeedTouch adsl modem
I wonder whether LinLin is trying to run the Speedtouch and the Zoom at the same time. If he gets the Zoom working on the PC using ethernet then, the Mac should work as soon as the ethernet cable is connected to it.
Steve

lozcart

LinLin, I've used a Belkin router with my Macs for many years operating on OS 10.3,10.4 and 10.5 and had no problems.

Have you tried manually entering the IP address, subnet and router information into the network preferences ? I have found this sometimes helped with DHCP problems.

As others have posted you do not need to use the Internet Connect program if your new router uses ethernet.

I'm not familiar with the Zoom router does it have a wireless facility and if so is this activated?

Edit:
Having read though all your posts again it is possible that the Mac is still trying to find a connection first  by using your Speedtouch settings, that is why you are referring to the Internet Connect dialog box.

Launch, Preferences and click Network. In the box that appears click and hold 'Ethernet' and drag this to the top of the list of items. Click 'apply', and close Preferences. This should then force your Mac to look for a Ethernet connection first instead of the Speedtouch.

Hope this helps.

Sebby

LinLin, do you know anyone with a Windows laptop that could pop round? It might be an idea to try and see whether it's the Mac or the Zoom.

LinLin

Hi, all,
After spending somewhere around 6 hours trying to get this sorted, I decided late this morning today to send the Zoom back. I've ordered a Netgear DG834 (MANY thanks for the suggestion) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival and, hopefully, a pain-free setup. The Zoom is back in its box, else I'd try some of the other suggestions that have been offered.

Just for the record, the Zoom did not have a wireless facility. As for the preferences, they were entered manually. I first tried auto-detect but after 30 minutes it was still stuck on a dialogue box that said it was checking preferences. The only thing I wish I'd tried before boxing it up was forcing the Mac to look for the ethernet connection first. That said, my understanding is that it is designed to find the ethernet connection by itself.

Also awaiting my MAC code from my current ISP so as to be able to join the very helpful folk here. Really, I have been astounded at the level of helpfulness and value the support and knowledge of the people here.

With best wishes,

LinLin

Rik

Hi LinLin

Sorry we couldn't solve the issue with the Zoom, but we're on much firmer ground with a Netgear, so if you have any questions, just yell. :)
Rik
--------------------

lozcart

While you are waiting for the Netgear to arrive I would recommend that you try to delete the Speedtouch settings from the network settings in preferences and make ethernet the priority setting as previous mentioned.

To delete the Speedtouch select it in the list of connections under Network in preferences and click the minus (-) button.

If you have problems doing this I would advise you set up a new location, done from the location menu and set this new location up for ethernet only. If you need help doing this let us know.

Good luck with the Netgear.

Niall

I second the above post. I've just had to do this with my sisters PC, and the Zyxel router I set up. I couldn't get the bleedin thing working at first because of the ICS network and USB modem installation. All is jubbly now though :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

LinLin

Woooowwww -- the Netgear DG834 arrived today.  Setup took about 5 minutes, totally trouble-free.

I changed none of the settings on my Mac from where they were when I last tried the Zoom X4 -- was saving that as a last resort.

Manual was easy to find, really simple to follow instructions. Plugged the modem/router in, rebooted the computer, and within 2 minutes was on the internet. I'm writing this from my mac, and am very happy to say the least.

Go Netgear!  :thumb:

And again, thanks for the recommendation. This feels like the Rolls Royce of the internet highway.

Looking forward to joining the IDnet family as soon as my current ISP cuts me loose.

Thank you again,

LinLin

lozcart

Great news LinLin, glad you got it sorted  :solved:

Rik

That's great, LinLin, has to have been a duff Zoom. We'll keep your place warm, but you don't have to wait to join IDNet to get stuck in here. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Glad its all working now, linlin!
Lance
_____

Najarak

Pleased to see that the Netgear is working and that your Mac connected with no problems. Just in case you have not already done it, it is important to change the password in the Netgear from the default one.
Steve

Rik

Good point, Steve. If you have the wireless side enabled, LinLin, also change the default SSID of Netgear to something meaningful to you, but not personally identifiable.

Edit: Typo
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Glad you have it all working, LinLin
Lance
_____

Inactive

Quote from: Lance on Mar 04, 2008, 22:30:18
Glad its all working now, linlin!

We heard you the first time Lance..  ;D :duck:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Mar 05, 2008, 00:08:44
Good point, Steve. If you have the wireless side enabled, LinLin, also change the default SSID of Netgear to something meaningful to you, but not personally identifiable.

Edit: Typo
I went for something in an eastern European language ;D hard to guess and its hidden, just because there are not many wifi networks around here, so as I see it if they cant see the network its at least little harder to find the house so to speak.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

The trouble with using an Eastern European language these days, Gary, is that there's a lot of people around to read it... ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Not round here rik, its also got numbers and symbols etc as well it makes no sense i went for the whole alphanumeric bit with it to confuse that matter
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sebby

Great news, LinLin. A router is much better than a modem, too, so you've killed two birds with one stone. :)

Lance

Quote from: Inactive on Mar 06, 2008, 01:17:59
We heard you the first time Lance..  ;D :duck:

I really am losing the plot!

Actually, the first one I posted from my phone, but thought it had disconnected before actually posting it so gave up and went to bed. It must have posted before disconnecting!
Lance
_____

Rik

Don't worry, Lance, I've completely forgotten what a plot is... :)
Rik
--------------------