Does anyone else see strange behavior on gw5?

Started by DeViTTo, Mar 03, 2008, 17:35:58

Previous topic - Next topic

DeViTTo

This isn't a word of descent I am happy with my connection apart from some problems which I think are related to my hardware and uploads (streaming music to work).

But I have found that if I use the line fairly hard i.e gaming or downloading my pings do drop but do spike, and they then return very high results if not used for a while.

I have interleaving turned off and my speed is now profiled at 4k when it was first connected it was at 6.5 and my pings were lower. It's way better speed wise than my old AOL connection don't get me wrong, but with all the disconnect problems with my faulty line I seemed to have lost the connection that the line could of been capable of.

I'm on supermax and I hardly used my allowance last month, I'm wondering should I downgrade as my usage isn't what I thought it would be and it might reset my connection so I get stable pings.

My question is though have others experienced strange ping or ppp negoation disconnects when uploading? The equipment I had didnt previously disconnect on AOL only when they switched to CFW. I have 2 days off this week I think I will raise this with tech support.

Rik

Hi Dev

The disconnection is odd, and makes me wonder whether there's a cross-talk issue on your line (which would be worse on a SuperMax line). I suspect that your target noise margin has been raised by the multiple disconnections, resulting in a lower sync and, thus, profile.

Given the unusual nature of your setup, it would probably be wise to talk to support, as they can 'see' your line in real time, and it may allow the to diagnose quite quickly.

Meantime, you might want to try running Ping Graph, to get an idea of just how the pings are varying:

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DeViTTo

Hi Rik

Hmm I have tried this before, my router will stay up as long as I don't upload though I do get some random disconnects and my line stats are A OK. I had thought of taking out hosting for £9 a year and stream from there and present my websites that way. I could use the free web space provided by IDnet but I want control over my domain as its DNs'd to my home location. I bought my qnap for this purpose and it has worked reliably on the AOL connection with this same equipment.

This weekend I configured my PC as a FTP server and had someone download from it only for it to disconnect as well so its not the Qnap. My netgear drops the line either way frequently. Its my ping which concerns me the most it was fantastic a switch over but its so random. Like I said if I use the line heavily then it will drop but I see spikes.

I am currently pinging BBC hitting 45ms max when I had 14-18ms min before at switch over. I have posted on Dlink and draytek support. I'm just wondering if others had a similar problem I notice Paulsmith uses a similar setup to mine I maybe ask him. I would like to resolve this as it is spoiling my user experience. So if no one else is having problems then I'll just have to take it up with CS.

Rik

As I say, Dev, your setup is beyond the bounds of the average user, so I think you're better off talking to the experts - though I could turn on my obfuscation mode. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DeViTTo

Quote from: Rik on Mar 03, 2008, 18:22:00
As I say, Dev, your setup is beyond the bounds of the average user, so I think you're better off talking to the experts - though I could turn on my obfuscation mode. ;)

I know it is but I would like to know if others have a similar problem. I have PM'ed paulsmith as he has same sorta equipment and I notice he to is on gw5.

Thanks Rik though  :)

RA-1972

Hello mate i am on gw5 and no problems here ,  i did have high ish pings 30 to 40 put then had interleave turned off , All ok here cs and cod4 all fine for pings no spikes aand no connection loss . 20 - 30 ping.

Gary

I have uploaded a few GB's in the last week to an online drive and have had no issue, I'm on Gw5 :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

DeViTTo

Thanks guys for the replys ill contact support and ask them  :(