Falconnet - an IDNet reseller?

Started by Dopamine, Mar 11, 2008, 22:02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Dopamine

A friend asked me today if I knew anything about Falconnet, which I didn't, so I had a look at their website. It looks like they are an IDNet reseller:

http://www.falconnet.co.uk/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=109&Itemid=209

Their I-Max packages are described as "IDNet based packages". What does that mean? I don't understand how all this selling and re-selling of capacity works, and am just curious.

I've heard some poor reports about Entanet resellers having slow speeds, especially off-peak, so was wondering whether IDNet might be similarly affected in any way, especially as there are some reports now of IDNet customers suffering fluctuating speeds.

Anyone care to explain what Falconnet is?

Philip

my guess is Falconnet purchase bandwidth from IDNet at a discounted price then re-sell it on, they are a virtual ISP I suppose.

Lance

You are right, Philip. The end user gets charged the same, and the connection is as if they are a direct IDNet customer, but the payment goes (I think) to the middle man - in this case Falconnect - and I believe that it is also up to Falconnect to provide the customer service.

On the whole, I would recommend going direct to IDNet rather than through a reseller. Personally, I don't like having more steps than I need to and prefer to deal direct. After all, it costs the same!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

You also have the benefit of IDNet's excellent support provisions, which you may not have through a reseller.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

This question has come up before, though not about Falconnet, IIRC (though these resellers are basically the same). As suggested, they re-sell IDNet's products, so you get the same service from IDNet, and support from Falconnet I'd imagine.

I'm not sure how long Falconnet have been re-selling IDNet products, but they were originally an Entanet reseller. I think the issue for these resellers is that Entanet give a large off-peak download allowance, and as such, speeds tend to suffer. I think a lot of people have been leaving Entanet (myself included) and resellers are having to look for other providers to re-sell.

As for whether IDNet will suffer, I personally don't think so. Entanet's problem is the allowances; IMHO, IDNet's are more realistic and I believe they can offer a consistent service.