Hmmmmmmm ........very inconsistent speeds for me lately !!

Started by Dont mention Talk Talk !!, Mar 09, 2008, 19:44:13

Previous topic - Next topic

kinmel

Quote from: Dont mention Talk Talk !! on Mar 12, 2008, 13:41:24
rik , alans guide has this line for dual ssid type

7 DNS Poisoning. -

DNS Poisoning is not necessary with the Daul SSID version, however if you wish to do so anyway, follow this proceedure:-

why do you suggest it needs done ?

james

The DNS poisoning was introduced on the SBC firmware hack to prevent the bios from being reset to the BT version, although there was no evidence that this had ever happened.

The dual SSID version ignores the DNS Resolve list when performing maintenance and the DNS poisoning is therefore pointless.

However I am by nature a coward and so left the poisoning option in the guide.

I have set up a number of the Dual SSID 2700HGVs and have not done DNS poisoning on any of them.

Following the guide, you can have a 2700 up and running in 5 minutes and then leave it to get on with it.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

So, effectively, Alan, the dual SSID is no longer locked to the BT network?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

BT now retail the Dual SSID 2700HGV and must therefore expect buyers to use them with other ISPs.

The Setup Wizard seems to have been designed to allow the router to be set up very easily for use with any ISP; they could have made it very difficult to do that if they had wanted to.

Anyway I don't imagine they see the small number of 2700s in use elsewhere to be worth them spending money on to lock us out.

All the Dual SSIDs I have seen so far have had their BIOS updated automatically after installation without any detrimental effect.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Thanks, Alan. As I'm on a single SSID, SBC model, it helps to know that. :)
Rik
--------------------

Dont mention Talk Talk !!

in the package it says it includes copy installation cd

do you need that , alans instructions say you just connect up and configure.

james

Rik

You don't need the CD, just connect via ethernet and follow Alan's instructions. The only time to get the CD out is if you ever want to connect via USB.
Rik
--------------------