Connection Problems.

Started by david666, Mar 09, 2008, 20:31:01

Previous topic - Next topic

david666

Hi all,i have just moved from AOL uk to idnet on the 1 month free trial (connected 7/3/08).But iam having problems when gaming online with my PC,on my Netgear 834 one of the green lights keeps blinking yellow and in-game i get "connection interrupt".Is this because the line is not calibrated or does it just need to "bed-in" over a few days?
I let the netgear find idnet when i logged into it or do i need to imput DNS,VPI etc manualy into the router?
Netgear is all updated,there is no spyware or virus on my computer.I Use adaware and eset system security.

I hope someone can put my mind to rest.Thankyou

Specs:MSI P35 NEO
         8800GTX
         4G RAM
         XP X64

Philip

:welc: David, one of the techies, I'm sure, will be along soon and help you better than I can  :)

shazzy

After I migrated, my connection seemed a little fragile but settled down after a couple of days.  I also just let the router connect automatically to idnet in regards to dns etc.  Once it settled it was rock steady. :) 

Welcome to idnetters! :)

david666

Thx,i did let the router auto connect,web browsing seems ok,but online gaming is terrible.

Simon

Hi David, and  :welc:

One of the techies will be along very soon, but it does sometimes take 3-5 days for your connection to settle after a migration.  Did you move like for like (i.e. MAX to MAX), or were you on a fixed rate before?  If you migrate from a fixed rate to MAX, you have to allow up to 10 days for the BT software to work out the fastest stable speed for your line, during which time, the connection can be a little slow or unstable.

If you would like to post the stats from your router, and try to run a speedtest with http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/, that will be a couple of things out the way for when the techies come along.  In the meantime, have a welcome Karma!
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

david666

Connection is now going bonkers and i diconnect every 5 mins now! I moved from aol 9 gold unlimited 8mb d/load moved to idnet Home Max.Where do i look for the router stats? Speedtest doesnt work because of my connection problems. :-\

Sebby

Welcome to IDNetters, David, and have a karma. :karmic:

It sounds like you are losing sync with the exchange, given that you said you're getting a light on the front of the router flashing yellow. Just to make you aware, this isn't to do with the ISP, this is something to do with the line or equipment. It's possible that you were on AOL's LLU, and now you're on BT IPStream, which might explain why you are experiencing instability now.

First thing's first, can you let us see your stats? Have a look here, which will tell you how to get them for your Netgear.

As soon as we see them, we can start helping you get to the bottom of the issue, and hopefully get it resolved soon. :)

david666

ok is this it? sorry iam a "newbie"

System Up Time 02:05:32
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    88068    60075    0    1175    1575    02:05:05
LAN    10M/100M    58142    89200    0    1659    1416    02:05:27

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    7072 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    44 db    13 db
Noise Margin    0 db    24 db

Sebby

That's them. :)

You've got a decent sync, but the problem is your noise margin, which would explain why the connection is dropping. Ideally this should be 6dB or higher, but it's normal for it to be a bit lower at night.

Are you connected at an extension socket with a microfilter?

david666

Yes with microfilter that came with the router

Sebby

What I suspect is happening is that your extension wiring is suffering from noise bursts, so your router connects with a stable noise margin, but then this degrades. Or, it could be the router as this kind of behaviour is quite common of routers with the AR7 chipset.

For now, let's try and see if it is the extension wiring. Do you have a socket that looks like this? If so, could you remove the front plate (be careful when you remove the plate as there'll be extension wiring connected to it, so just let is dangle). Behind, you'll see a socket (the test socket). Please connect your router here, then re-post the stats as before. What this does it eliminate the extension wiring and it allows us to see if there's an improvement. If there is, there are solutions. :)

david666

Ok done that.

System Up Time 00:03:36
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    165    178    0    101    447    00:03:10
LAN    10M/100M    233    236    0    534    159    00:03:31

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    7072 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    44 db    13 db
Noise Margin    2 db    24 db

Sebby

It's better, but still not great, and I suspect it would fall soon once it's been connected for a little while. And that was definitely from the socket behind the front plate and not just the front of the master socket (sorry to sound patronising, but it's just to make absolute certain)?

I can't help but think the Netgear is to blame. There was an article a while back about routers with the AR7 chipset (the Netgear being one of them) and an issue with ADSL max. I have seen a number of users here with similar issues, and a new router has cured that, but obviously I can't say for sure. You've got a really excellent line, and you should certainly achieve full sync with attenuation that low.

Is there anyone you could borrow a different router from to try out?

david666

Yes i did remove the faceplate and plug into directly.I can not use another modem sorry.This netgear is dg834 v2,but if i try to buy a new dg834,say v4 no online shops tells you its v4!.Can you recommend one? it must be wired,have a inbuilt firewall and must be a router with four-port so i can plug in my xbox 360 without the pc being switched on.
Many thanks for your input and help. :)

Sebby

You're right about getting a v4 specifically as that uses a Broadcom chipset, but it's difficult to say where you can get them. Someone on this forum got one, but I can't remember where from. I'll see if I can dig it out.

For me, the best router is the SpeedTouch 585v6. It's a very highly-regarded router and is absolutely rock solid. Another option is a 2Wire 2700HG, but you have to get from eBay and there's no official support. These are quite popular because they help us with less-than-perfect lines get higher sync than other router, but given that you have such a good line, this won't be necessary and if I were you I'd go with the SpeedTouch.

You can get a B-grade one here for £19.99. I've bought a couple for various friends and family and they've always been like new! Or you can get one new here.

david666

Thx,it must be wired though.

Sebby

It is wired (4-port). You can always disable the wireless if you don't require it.

david666

aha sorry i saw the picture with the antenna at the back of the modem,didnt know you could use it as wired modem :blush:,thx again

Sebby

Lance

Welcome to the forum, David!
Lance
_____

david666

Thankyou.Would the SpeedTouch 585v6 help lower my in-game ping when gaming? because i would still want to to stay with a netgear modems if possible as its been so good.Can the NETGEAR DG834G v4 one be used as a wired modem/router?
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/MFR/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5389

Sebby

The ping isn't (or shouldn't) be influenced by the router, so the SpeedTouch won't lower it.

The DG834G v4 can be used as wired (exactly the same as the SpeedTouch). It has 4-ports and you can disable wireless. :)

david666

I see idnet sell the netgear,but they dont say its v4 either! ::)

Sebby

This is true, David. If you want to go for another Netgear DG834G, make sure it's the v4 (i.e. don't buy from IDNet). :)

david666

Last question for tonight ;) Does the speedtouch or netgear work with vista x64?

Sebby

Routers are OS independent, so yes. :)

Rik

Any router should work with with Vista, David as it needs no drivers. The v4 was available from Broadbandbuyer, but they appear to be out of stock right now:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5573

Welcome to the forum. :)
Rik
--------------------

david666

Iam gonna buy the Speedtouch 585 v6 direct from Thomson
Is this the right one?

http://www.thomsondslshop.com/585_datasheet.asp?menuCurrPos=2.

Sebby

Rik

It is, but if you don't mind a B-grade model, it's £19.99 from:

http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp?

or £34.96 new from their sister site:

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/details.aspx?idProduct=759&category=WIRELESS
Rik
--------------------

david666

hmm B-Grade yikes!! hmm may not come with cables or cd or manual or does it (no info on website),what if it breaks down in the 1st year? also if i buy new from dslsource can i order over the phone?

Rik

A B-grade should be complete, as new, but with only 1 months warranty. DSL Source take orders by phone 0870 600 3332. They used to set routers up before despatch, I don't know if that's still the case.
Rik
--------------------

david666

aha just seen it 30days only

Sebby

The ones I've bought came with everything like new. It all depends whether you want to save a bit of money and take the risk or spend more and feel more comfortable. :)

david666

Well many thx Sebby and Rik for all the input,will buy a new one from dslsource.Hope this fixes my problems and i can get back to Call of Duty 4! :fingers:

Rik

If you get a chance to get a BT test done, David (morning is usually a good time and use IE rather than Firefox), post the results will you, it might give us a clue.
Rik
--------------------

david666

Just ran it.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7168 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4947 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Sebby

david666

So just replace my Neatgear dg834 for the Speedtouch 585 v6 and i should fine. ;D

Rik

The profile is OK for the sync speed, but I notice you've had a re-sync since your earlier stats. I'm guessing that noise on your line is affecting throughput, ie causing re-sends.

What's connected to the line other than the router, how many hard-wired sockets do you have, are you using any loose extensions leads?
Rik
--------------------

david666

i have 1 bt socket,1 filter for broadband and telepnone.

Rik

Shouldn't be your internal wiring then. Once you've got the Speedtouch, if it doesn't improve matters, contact support and ask them if they can test the line for you.
Rik
--------------------

david666

Ok,funny all the problems happened today at about 8pm till about 11pm,connection is good now.

Rik

Classic noise issue, David, has anyone beeing doing any DIY near you?
Rik
--------------------

david666

lol no its been very quiet round the house,didnt think such things effected broadband!

Rik

It might not be in the house, but if somebody's been using electrically noisy tools nearby, that can impact on the phone line.
Rik
--------------------

david666

oh i see.Just one last thing when i get the speedtouch should i firmware upgrade it out of the box? or leave "as is"

Rik

Leave it for the time being, see how it goes. Quite often, a firmware upgrade solves one problem and introduces another. Start by trying to get things stable, then once you get there, look at the firmware update.
Rik
--------------------

david666

Rik

Rik
--------------------

david666

I have just got the 585v6 (thx sebby).Just a few questions about it.How do i logout and save settings on the speedtouch?

I did a re-run of the tests:

BT:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3113 kbps

Speedtouch:

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 0:12:52
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 8,064
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   1.15 / 16.86
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   24.5 / 43.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   21.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 8,931
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 80
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 76

Are these stats better than my old netgear dg834?

Rik

You stats are better, David, better sync speed, better attenuation, better noise margin. Maintain that sync and your profile will rise to 7000. Throughput seems a bit low, but we are seeing isolated reports of speed issues which seem to come down to BT congestion.

Not sure what you mean about logging out and saving settings?
Rik
--------------------

david666

Good thx.I googled my problem,sorted now.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

david666

"Profile will rise to 7000"? sorry iam a newbie and dont know what this means?

Rik

Sorry, David, we speak in shorthand at times.

When you do a BT speed test, the first line tells you what profile you are on. A profile is an artificial speed limit imposed on the line by BT, to ease the load on their computer systems. It relates to your sync speed, but instead of letting the line run as fast as it can, BT use these lower profiles to make their own lives easier. To make things worse, a 32k drop in sync speed can cost you 500k in throughput, if you are on a cusp. Also, if you have a low-sync event, your profile will be lowered almost immediately, but it will take up to 5 days for it to recover.

As you'll gather, we're not great fans of profiles. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Your stats are looking so much better, David! Hopefully you won't have any disconnects now. Those blasted AR7 chipsets.  :P

As Rik says, throughput is a little low, but we are seeing a bit of this at the moment. See how it goes once the profile corrects itself, and if it's not any better, it may be worth calling IDNet just to ensure that there aren't any issues.  :)

Steve

Looks like they may have turned interleave on,I get the same sync speed on my speedtouch 585v6 with interleave on i.e 8096down, Although they say it can increase your ping times my son is still happy with on line games mainly WOW

regards
Steve
------------

Rik

Theoretically, you should get a lower sync speed than that with interleaving on, but then on some exchanges, people have been able to sync at 8128 with it on, so theory and practice are clearly different. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Thanks Rik
It seems also to be related to which router, if I connect my 2700 HGV it will sync at 7616, which is what you expect as the max sync with interleave on.
However my profile has stayed the same so far on the speedtouch at 6500k and I am not expecting it to rise. :)
Steve
------------

Rik

Ah, profiles - my favourite things. NOT! ;)
Rik
--------------------