Illegal File Sharers

Started by colirv, Mar 11, 2008, 09:38:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall

That's not true. You are allowed to make back up copies of your own, for personal use. At least that's what was the case when I last read the law on it.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

madasahatter

Rik

Quote from: Niall on Mar 15, 2008, 12:05:18
That's not true. You are allowed to make back up copies of your own, for personal use. At least that's what was the case when I last read the law on it.

That's the permission of the rights holder, but the recording of copyrighted music still requires an MCPS licence, technically.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

Quote from: madasahatter on Mar 15, 2008, 12:08:47
Not yet you're not - according to this anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20080108_copy.shtml
Well that's very strange because I remember it being clearly stated that you can make back ups of anything you have purchased yourself, for private use. I can't remember where that information was given, but I'm pretty certain it was accurate when it was said.

I'm never convinced of anything the BBC report, so I may do some looking into that.

What ever the rule now, I WILL be MP3ing music I've paid for and no one is going to stop me :)

Actually, if they say you can't create mp3s of music you own, what happens if you buy the music online and then transfer it to your laptop? You're effectively "ripping" the music file then, or technically duplicating it, so that means by moving it the 1ft from my PC to my laptop, I'm breaking the law. I've got a few albums I've bought online, like Nizlopis first album.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

madasahatter

Quote from: Niall on Mar 15, 2008, 12:12:37
What ever the rule now, I WILL be MP3ing music I've paid for and no one is going to stop me :)

It's not gonna stop me - ahem - "my friend" either  ;D

Simon

I agree with Niall.  When you buy a CD, you are purchasing the right to listen to the material contained therein, and therefore, for personal use, you should be able to transfer that material to any format or media you like.

Hell, if you upheld the letter of the law, you're probably breaking the law by taking the CD round to a mate's house and listening to it there!
Simon.
--

madasahatter

I agree that you SHOULD be able to Simon - just pointing out that technically you're not. Technically, you are purchasing the right to listen to the material on THAT CD - not actually purchasing any rights to the material contained on it at all. :no:

Rik

Quote from: Simon on Mar 15, 2008, 12:19:55
Hell, if you upheld the letter of the law, you're probably breaking the law by taking the CD round to a mate's house and listening to it there!

Yes, that could be considered to fall under public performance. :)

Copyright law on music is a jungle.
Rik
--------------------

Danni

The only stuff I download from Bittorrent these days is software (perfectly legal FOSS stuff like Linux ISOs and OpenOffice and things) and US TV shows I want to keep up with as I don't want to have to wait a year to see them (NCIS and House).

Films I don't have the patience to watch much anymore, and any music I don't already have I listen to on an internet radio station. I buy a CD probably about once a year, DVDs about 3 times a year, and I've stopped buying games and software since I'm never in Windows long enough to play them (with the exception of Darwinia, as I play that on Linux). I go to the cinema a few times a year, as that's normally my reward for managing the MetroCentre.

I used to download loads, but most of it I then bought legally, if I liked it. A try before you buy system :)
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

Rik

A side of downloading that the industry choose to ignore, of course, Danni.  :(
Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

hmm i dont have a problem downloading illegaly

but most of the stuff i download i will end up owning  im a bit like Danni

so im not fused when i download

house
stargate atlantis

or the new terminator TV series

as pritty much as soon as i have the money and of course they are released in the UK i will go and buy the season i have been downloading that year.  Just wish that TV boses would learn that they shouldnt have stupid airing times for us in the UK and make us constantly wait.

would save me loads of bandwidth...

madasahatter

That's an interesting point Colin -  if TV, movies etc were released at the same time all across the world (and I really can't see any valid reason for them not to), it would stop a lot of the "piracy" going on. But then that would be far too much like common sense wouldn't it? >:D

Gramps

I remember recording music from the radio on my Grundig reel to reel  over forty years ago, they said that was illegal but the powers that be couldn't put a stop it and I never heard of anybody being prosecuted.

Rik

Pirating the pirates, eh Wilf. :)
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Quote from: madasahatter on Mar 16, 2008, 07:52:45
That's an interesting point Colin -  if TV, movies etc were released at the same time all across the world (and I really can't see any valid reason for them not to), it would stop a lot of the "piracy" going on. But then that would be far too much like common sense wouldn't it? >:D

I made that point earlier on in this thread!

I do get TV shows from torrent sites, but I also buy them when they're released on DVD (please make them release HUFF Season 2, which they cancelled in mid series, but at least it has a sort of ending :(). The room I'm sitting in now is like a mini cinema, with DVDs and CDs everywhere. There's barely enough room for me to move!

{edit} The one thing I really don't agree with when it comes to "piracy" is TV shows. We have DVD and video recorders to record things straight off TV. EVERYONE has given a friend a show to watch that you've taped/recorded the night before, at some point. I know they are now saying that even doing that is illegal, but seriously, they need to get their collective heads out of their rear ends. Again, as I've said before, release everything at the same time. They would be more likely to continue shows if they saw how well thought of they were in the UK, that they cancel mid series.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

madasahatter

Sorry Niall - obviously missed that  :blush:

Niall

I'll let you off this time, but next time you'll have to buy me some diet coke :D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Malc

Can't see Rik drinking that

Rik

It's the only thing I drink, Malc. Caffeine free.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

My, you are a good boy Rik - wish I could stay away from the neer, but I just get like Homer Simpson when I think about it  ;D

Rik

Unfortunately, my body doesn't tolerate alcohol at all, Mad. Even the amount in some medication can cripple me. Life is not fair.  :'(
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Wow - that's rough Rik - sorry to hear that.  :(

Rik

Think of the money I'm saving though.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

That's true - I suppose if I added up all the money I've spent on beer I'd horrify myself  :o

Rik

Smokers would probably get much more of a fright.  :o
Rik
--------------------