Are Carphone Warehouse eyeing any other ISP`s to take over ?

Started by Dont mention Talk Talk !!, Mar 25, 2008, 20:29:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

plugwash

Quote from: madasahatter on Mar 26, 2008, 18:32:26
Yep - but by the time it happens will there be anywhere else to go that isn't already in the proective buyers pocket?  :eek4:
I'm pretty sure that as long as BT wholesale keep offering half decent service there will be small ISPs who use that service to offer decent internet connections. Who those ISPs are may change but I bet they will still be there.

I think there is a good chance that tiscali et-al will have big financial problems in the next year or so. I bet a lot of the ex-pipex customers will be migrating as soon as thier current contract ends.

Colin Burns

is that from Tiscali never making a profit...  :fingers: :thumb:

oh and i think the next ISP that the car phone whearhouse buys will be either Bee of Virgin media.  cause its already been sold twice. :fingers:

plugwash

Quote from: Colin Burns on Mar 27, 2008, 03:07:46
is that from Tiscali never making a profit... 
They are trying to get into the black by buying loads of customers and pushing as many of those customers as they can including those they bought to tiscali LLU. Buying other providers who are also into LLU (pipex was for example) is also usefull in this endevour since it extends thier LLU presense into more exchanges without needing new equipment.

The problem is that they are doing a horrible job of it. If they were thinking long term they should have set up thier LLU network to allow them to treat users buying different classes of broadband product differently and they should have put enough competent support to deal with the inevitable ***** in a mass migrations.

Instead they have ended up with users paying pipex level prices (not as high as IDNET but not far off) for tiscali levels of service. They have also ***** up some migrations and have a support team who is not prepared to get those ***** dealt with. Yes this means more profit now but IMO it is unlikely to last.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Mar 26, 2008, 18:42:45
Again, I don't see it happening. To keep their promise of no congestion on their network, Simon & Tim have to limit the number of new customers they take one at any time. Over the months I've worked with them, I have found them to be extremely ethical men, who believe in what they are doing. My view is, therefore, that IDNet will grow organically, but never fast enough to become take-over fodder.
That's interesting.  I run a small website which is hosted by a smallish outfit called Clook.  Like iDNet they trade on good service and reliability at a price which gives them a reasonable profit.

Around this time last year they decided that if they were going to continue expanding they needed to overhaul the whole of their systems - servers, back office etc and stress test the whole setup in order that they could continue to offer a good service with the increased customer numbers.  To do this they stopped taking on new customers, supposedly for around 3 months, but this stretched to more like 6.  Existing customers didn't see any difference.  Once everything was in place they opened up again to new business.

Now that is a good company.  They also have a US division which is going through the same process.  They've probably only got around 10 employees across both continents, but the service they offer is superb.  Anybody interested can check them out at http://www.clook.net

The  main point is, it's these small/medium sized outfits that are doing well.  They seem less fixated with profit (obviously they need to make money) and more on quality of service.  The real problem is with the majority of the public who are fixated on price to the exclusion of all else. 

Rik

Quote from: Tacitus on Mar 29, 2008, 08:06:41
The real problem is with the majority of the public who are fixated on price to the exclusion of all else. 

I do agree. People need to learn the difference between cost and value for money. There's a price for all this cheapness...
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Tacitus on Mar 29, 2008, 08:06:41

The  main point is, it's these small/medium sized outfits that are doing well.  They seem less fixated with profit (obviously they need to make money) and more on quality of service.  The real problem is with the majority of the public who are fixated on price to the exclusion of all else. 

Got it in one, spot on. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Mar 29, 2008, 09:40:33
I do agree. People need to learn the difference between cost and value for money. There's a price for all this cheapness...
It's nothing new :-)

There's the famous 'Common Law of Business Balance' - attributed to John Ruskin circa 1860, although nobody AFAIK can provide a direct attribution.

Quote"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.  When you pay too much, you lose a little money — that is all.  When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.  The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot — it can't be done.  If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better".

There is another also attributed to Ruskin:

QuoteThere is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

iDNetters excepted of course  ;D

Rik

I've seen that attributed to John Donne, "When in the market place, it is wise neither to pay too little nor too much". Good sentiment, by either author.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Mar 29, 2008, 11:00:55
I've seen that attributed to John Donne, "When in the market place, it is wise neither to pay too little nor too much". Good sentiment, by either author.
Never seen it attributed to Donne - I've always assumed Ruskin.  Doubt anyone really knows  :)

Simon

Quote from: TacitusNow that is a good company.  They also have a US division which is going through the same process.  They've probably only got around 10 employees across both continents, but the service they offer is superb.  Anybody interested can check them out at http://www.clook.net

Bookmarked - thanks!  :thumb:
Simon.
--

Tacitus

Quote from: Simon on Mar 29, 2008, 13:24:30
Bookmarked - thanks!  :thumb:

You should also look at the forum http://www.clook.info/forum/ 

Note you can only view part of it, but in the comments section you will find customer comments similar to those for iDNet - praise for good service with satisfied customers.  Again, they aren't the cheapest around but I doubt you will hear anything other than praise for them.  Not perfect as they can have hardware failures the same as anyone else, as a look at the server announcements section will attest

They don't advertise AFAIK, but rely on the best advertising of all - word of mouth.

Simon

Simon.
--