Started by Malc, Mar 29, 2008, 14:54:56

Previous topic - Next topic

madasahatter

Quote from: J!ll on Mar 29, 2008, 18:17:57

So am I, may see you later then  >:D

Cool - I'll be wearing a red carnation (nothing else)  ;D

D-Dan

Quote from: Malc on Mar 29, 2008, 14:57:13
BTW I ditched firefox, unfortunately, on a few of my BT sites where I have to log in, they won't load  >:(

Noooo - don't ditch FF. Install IETab instead. Then when you really need it you can switch to the IE rendering engine within FF. Even works with MS Update.

Honest - you don't need IE  :D
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

Quote from: madasahatter on Mar 29, 2008, 18:17:36
:bawl:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo - I want my food  ;D

I could feed you one of Sue's chip butties? :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

J!ll

Quote from: madasahatter on Mar 29, 2008, 18:19:09

OK, will be easy to spot then  ;)

Rik

Quote from: madasahatter on Mar 29, 2008, 18:19:09

Duct tape or pin??  :o
Rik
--------------------

J!ll

:lol: he aint thought that far  :D

Rik

It was the first thing which came to mind, but then Mad is probably a fakir and will opt for the pin!  :eek4:
Rik
--------------------

J!ll

Then he may need my services  ;D (professional!  :P)

Malc

Quote from: Rik on Mar 29, 2008, 18:07:37
Useful tip from Simon (D). One of the DNS servers was behind the switch. Windows insists on using the pair alternately, even if one isn't replying, which made for some serious slowness when browsing. Entering the working DNS into Windows (NOT the router) will fix that. I had switched to OpenDNS, as most people wouldn't know which DNS wasn't working.

??? I have no idea what this does or how to do it, but it sounds interesting

Malc

Quote from: D-Dan on Mar 29, 2008, 18:19:53
Noooo - don't ditch FF. Install IETab instead. Then when you really need it you can switch to the IE rendering engine within FF. Even works with MS Update.

Honest - you don't need IE  :D

I tried that, but I couldnt save my password and login on a few BT sites and had to keep typing thiem in. Some are quite long.  :sigh:

Rik

Quote from: Malc on Mar 29, 2008, 18:38:45

??? I have no idea what this does or how to do it, but it sounds interesting

Start > Settings > Network Connections. Select your connection, select Properties. Select TCP/IP, select Properties. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses, and enter the OpenDNS servers, 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220. Click OK, job done.

Don't do it in the router, as this forces re-authentication which might well have failed.

How's that, Malc? :)
Rik
--------------------

Malc

I have 2 network settings

Local area Connection (Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000)

1394 Connection (1394 net adaptor)

How come I've 2 and which do I use, is one my old modem?

Rik

Ignore the 1394, that's Firewire which, for some reason, Windows thinks is a network. You want the Gigabit.
Rik
--------------------

Philip

Malc

Properties. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses, and

I dont have that in properties, think I can't do it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

That doesn't look like you've selected TCP/IP from the list, Malc.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

I doulbe clicked on Local Area Connection, (bottom right window) got the connection status window (centre'ish), then clicked on properties, and got the window (top left) LAC Properties

with general/ advanced accross the top.

Rik

OK, then scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then properties from there.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Eventually, that was hard work wasn't it?

:thumb:

Rik

No, it's a bit hidden away, Malc. Thing is, doing it this way, you can change it at any time without disturbing your PPP session. If you change it in the router, it drops PPP and re-authenticates which, today, would have been a lost connection. If you remember this trick, any time you think there might be a problem with IDNet's servers, you can quickly change with this switch.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Do I leave it like that all the time now?

Rik

Up to you. I've switched back by changing the radio button to get the DNS automatically, but you can stay with OpenDNS if you prefer (it does have some advantages for parents as you can block unsuitable sites).
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Mar 29, 2008, 18:43:27
Start > Settings > Network Connections. Select your connection, select Properties. Select TCP/IP, select Properties. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses, and enter the OpenDNS servers, 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220. Click OK, job done.

Don't do it in the router, as this forces re-authentication which might well have failed.

How's that, Malc? :)

That's quite good, but is there a way to store the DNS server addresses, so you can simply switch by selecting the radio button?  When I go back to automatic DNS, the Open entries disappear.
Simon.
--

esh

Looks like I missed all the excitement.

I didn't experience any slow browsing today... I guess I got lucky the BIND server here picked up on the DNS not responding?

If there's anything I hate it's a faulty switch...
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Mar 29, 2008, 18:27:41
It was the first thing which came to mind, but then Mad is probably a fakir and will opt for the pin!  :eek4:

Tch...tch.. ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.