BT Wholesale releases WBC activation dates for first 868 exchanges!

Started by Cookiemonster, Mar 30, 2008, 00:23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dan

Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

TBH, I am quite happy with the speed of my connection as it is.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Even though my speed is relatively low, In, I'm not sure I need more, given the way I use the connection. Unless data allowamces change in line, potentially all a speed change will achieve is to use the allowance more quickly.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I agree, Rik. I'm not a big downloader, and really I use my connection for web browsing.

Rik

According to the DSL Zone estimator, ADSL2 will give me 2-4Mbps. As I already have 3, it seems unlikely to be much of an improvement, if any. Of course, if the 'three strikes' policy comes into effect, few people will need high speeds.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

plugwash

Quote from: D-Dan on Mar 30, 2008, 18:17:39
Ahhh - so I'm gonna have to find an extra £20 per month after August because they'll hike the price to IDNet
I can't imagine they will be able to get away with charging that much more given that be seem to be making thier way into more and more exchanges.

PhilT

"because they'll hike the price to IDNet "

bit of guesswork there. The WBC Indicative Launch tariff shows if anything a price reduction. The end user circuits are about the same £7.81 per month with a £3.40/month ADSL2+ add-on. These figures are reduced on "dense" exchanges to £6.03 plus £1.70.

The cost of the interconnects will probably be lower, depending on IDnets chosen configuration.

Have IDnet indicated they will be in at the launch with a WBC product ?

Phil

Rik

Last I heard, Phil, they were waiting for BTw to confirm service pricings.
Rik
--------------------

PhilT

Quote from: Rik on Mar 31, 2008, 10:43:37
Last I heard, Phil, they were waiting for BTw to confirm service pricings.
so that sounds like "it depends" rather than "yes we will have WBC products" ?

Rik

I'm sure they will be there, but I suspect that the pricings are needed before any ISP can put together a package structure.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

I think it's more "when we find out the BT prices, we'll know what to charge the punters"  ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

PhilT

there's a strategic decision to get involved with WBC at this stage and a tactical one about package design and pricing. Indicative pricing is in the public domain from a recent BT meeting but to me that's a bit of a detail as there are extra infrastructure costs in running a WBC system either nationally or on a regional basis - it would be useful if IDNet were to say "yes we will be offering WBC products at or soon after launch" to allow customers and resellers to plan accordingly.

Malc

Quote from: madasahatter on Mar 31, 2008, 12:51:08
I think it's more "when we find out the BT prices, we'll know what to charge the punters"  ;)

And you can guarantee BT won't miss the chance to bang up the prices, by inflation of 10% sorry 2%.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

PhilT

Quote from: Malc on Mar 31, 2008, 13:56:08
And you can guarantee BT won't miss the chance to bang up the prices, by inflation of 10% sorry 2%.

Your guarantee isn't up to much, if anything prices will be lower for the same capacity.

Malc

Quote from: PhilT on Mar 31, 2008, 14:21:47
Your guarantee isn't up to much, if anything prices will be lower for the same capacity.

Reading this thread it sounded to me that the prices hadn't been set yet, that's why ID were holding back.

Malc

PhilT

Quote from: Malc on Mar 31, 2008, 14:24:18
Reading this thread it sounded to me that the prices hadn't been set yet, that's why ID were holding back.

the final price announcement is imminent, I have in front of me the BT Indicative Launch Tariff sheet which has been discussed with ISPs.

I was primarily interested in whether IDnet are planning to offer WBC products - a major decision in itself - pricing is neither here nor there in the big picture and has been offered in this thread as a distraction from the core question. I guess it will become apparent eventually.

Rik

If you want a definitive answer, Phil, give Simon or Tim a ring - assuming that they don't see this thread and respond. The rest of us can only speculate, postulate and hypothesise. :)
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Rik

Rik
--------------------