What to expect

Started by johndh, Oct 23, 2006, 12:25:32

Previous topic - Next topic

johndh

I'm into day 4 of the training period following a regrade to max. The bt speedtester shows profile of 2000 kbps sync 8128 down and 448 kbps up. These settings have not budged as yet, speedtests say I am getting 1800kbps or so.

So far it does not apper that any training is going on at all. Am I correct?
Router is a D-link G604t and line length is 1 km from the exchange, exchange shows green.

CS havent offered any real explanation and at the moment dont seem to want to do anything untill 10 days are up.

Any thoughts,

Cheers

stats:

DSL Status
     Connection Status    Connected
     Upstream Rate (Kbps)    448
     Downstream Rate (Kbps)    8128
     US Margin    29
     DS Margin    15
     Modulation    MMODE
     LOS Errors    0
     DS Line Attenuation    15
     US Line Attenuation    12
     Path Mode    Fast Path

DSL Statistics
     Near End F4 Loop Back Count    0
     Near End F5 Loop Back Count    0

Nerval

Firstly, you are synching at 8Mb, so should eventually get a very good download rate.

What limits your speed though is the figure given by the BT speedtest as your profile, in your case 2Mb.  This is what it is initially set to, and will be updated as and when the exchange finds that your line is capable of a faster speed.

BT say it can take up to 10 days to get your correct profile set, and won't usually look at any problems before that time.  The way Max works is that it reacts quickly to drops in sync speed, but slowly to increases in sync speed.  It does this in the interests of line stability.

If you reboot your router once a day, this should enable the exchange to resync at the higher rate, and as a result it should increase your profile speed.
Rebooting a lot more than that, however, may be interpreted as your line dropping, and so slow down any upgrade in profile speed.

So if you can wait a bit longer, I'd suspect that you will start to get decent speeds within the next few days.

johndh

Thanks Nerval,

What made me curious, is from previous experiences, the training started high and worked back until it found a stable rate. This time it seems to be starting at a low rate but not moving upwards. I do take your point that an upward shift is slower than a downward one. BTW the router has been rebooted on a daily basis.

Cheers

Nerval

Yes john
What i find annoying about Max is that it doesn't do the same thing for everybody.
I was up and full speed after a couple of days, but for others it takes the full ten, or more.

And there is always the possibility of temporary glitches on your line that you don't notice, but which cause a brief resync at a lower rate and Max reacts to this.  To my mind it's a little bit too reactive going down, and not enough going up. But then I wouldn't say that if my line was unstable.

drummer

Went to MaxDSL with my last ISP and my average speed plummeted to about 500k-1Mb (from a stable 2Mb connection). 

After about five months of this cr@p I migrated to IDNet and now my connection is never less than 4.5Mb but usually hovers around 5.5Mb, and I didn't do many of the recommended reboots.  It took about three weeks to get there and I never phoned CS once.

If increasing your connection speed is possible, then you've come to the right place.
To stay is death but to flee is life.