Right then....my WBC date is 18/8/08 and I have a question

Started by Dont mention Talk Talk !!, Mar 30, 2008, 21:24:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont mention Talk Talk !!

I had to look up the samknows 21CN acronyms to see what WBC actually meant. With a date of 18 Aug 2008 listed for my exchange, does that mean around that date , if IDNet have sourced 24MB ADSL2+ from BT , that I will be able to get it ?

With my distance from the exchange being 640 metres as the crow flies, Id be expecting to be comfortably in the 20 Meg + range and with BE able to supply 24MB for about 25 quid a month, is it reasonable to expect an IDNet tariff to be in that ballpark ?

I get 6.5 MB all day for 24.99 a month, if IDNet head towards the 30 quid + area for 24MB, im afraid ill just stick with 8MB Home Max.

James

Cookiemonster

Check Here for a rough estimate of your ADSL2+ speeds.

As for the rest of your questions I'm not entirely sure what the pricing system will be as i don't think BT have released any WBC prices for ADSL2+ yet to the ISP's, i may be wrong though. I'm assuming if BT are offering it to ISP's at the given dates then they'll make it available when they see fit.

This article from Samknows...

QuoteOf course, whilst we now have the activation dates for BT Wholesale's new ADSL2+ service, we now need the ISPs to announce their products that will run over WBC. Few ISPs have publicly committed to utilising WBC to date and no products have been formally announced. This is most likely due to the fact that BT Wholesale have yet to release the final pricing for all of the WBC components. This should be completed within the next couple of weeks, so one would expect product announcements from the ISPs to follow soon after.

Dont mention Talk Talk !!

16 - 22 Mbps

Based on the attenuation you entered, we estimate that your line can support around 16 - 22 Mbps on ADSL2+.

Sweet !!

James

madasahatter

Alright for some. Estimation on my line is 4-8, and it's not due at my exchange until next May anyway  :(

Adam

As for the rest of your questions I'm not entirely sure what the pricing system will be as i don't think BT have released any WBC prices for ADSL2+ yet to the ISP's, i may be wrong though.

I believe the WBC launch pricing is being announced to CPs on 2/4/08, though it may take a while for ISPs to announce their pricing and plans for WBC.
Adam

kinmel

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Sebby

Mine says 4-8Mb, so given that I'm already getting 4Mb, I'm sure it'll be so worthwhile for me.

Rik

Remembering the early pain of Max, I think I'm just going to sit and watch for a while...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Apr 18, 2008, 17:25:31
Remembering the early pain of Max, I think I'm just going to sit and watch for a while...

I suspect that I will not have a choice on the matter as usual. >:(
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Apr 19, 2008, 09:01:07
In what way, In?

Last on any BT list ...  Exchange...

To be honest, I wouldn't bother if it was available Rik.. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I'm not due for 21CN till 2011, but WBC will be here in the latter part of this year. I doubt that I would benefit much, but you could probably expect speeds of 16Mbps or better.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Right Rik... :but: I am very happy with my speed / package as it is. :thumb:

Rik

That's the ke, of course. Unless people are heavy downloaders, will they benefit. Hopefully the range of packages will recognise that.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Apr 18, 2008, 17:25:31

Me too.  Given ADSL2 is likely to be even more sensitive to modem variations, I foresee another round of the great modem shuffle.

Rik

I agree. IAC, I suspect I would only see a marginal gain, if anything.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: Tacitus on Apr 20, 2008, 11:16:38
Me too.  Given ADSL2 is likely to be even more sensitive to modem variations, I foresee another round of the great modem shuffle.

Nothing the 2Wire can't handle, I'm sure. :P

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 20, 2008, 11:18:09
I agree. IAC, I suspect I would only see a marginal gain, if anything.
Just wanted to bring up a note on the Adsl2+ thread Rik, my line was capable of a 3500 profile tops more often 3000, on ADSL2+ I get a 5500 profile (well in BT terms) with a upload of about 1mb and my attenuation was 49db (52 on adsl2+), all this using a Netgear DG834G v4 latest firmware and a ADSL nation faceplate with cat 5 cable, the line is steady with no issues so maybe people will see more of a gain if they were to get ADSL2+ than they think, and when it comes to updating windows, downloading files and programs its great, and the extra upload is great for webcam chats as well. :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

old Bill

Found this. Not trying to plug other ISPs but it might be of help for anyone who wants to see what sort of speeds they might get.

http://adsl24.co.uk/checker_24mb.php

madasahatter

According to that, I'd be looking at around 5Meg - that would be nice  :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------