A consequence of Saturday's site problems?

Started by dudwell, Mar 31, 2008, 11:12:36

Previous topic - Next topic

dudwell

Last Saturday's problems set me fumbling about, trying to re-establish a connection. I must have disturbed something because now I can only connect by going to Start>Connect to>Show all connections>Internet Gateway and clicking on Internet Connection.

How can I restore the previous situation where connection was established automatically on startup? I've tried System Restore without success. Windows XP and Speedtouch 585v6.

Rik

I take it the router is remaining connected OK, and that it's just an issue with Windows networking? Do you know what changes you made?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

dudwell

Router comes on with only three of the usual four lights, the Internet one doesn't light at all until I go through the routine described above after which everything becomes OK. The trouble is, I don't know what changes I made, I tend to blunder about when things go awry. You'll gather I'm a bit of a computer ignoramus :blush:

Rik

Open Device Manager and see if there are any warnings displayed on the network adaptor, if the light isn't showing, it sounds like it might have been disabled.
Rik
--------------------

dudwell

Rik

Either go to Control Panel > System, or right click on My Computer, Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.
Rik
--------------------

dudwell

Ahh, Control Panel has to be set to Classic View in order to see System and thence go to Device Manager. But when I arrived at network adapter there was no warning.

Rik

OK. Do you have the monitor icons in the system tray? If so double-click on it, then click on support, then details. Copy the text there and paste it back will you.
Rik
--------------------

dudwell

Physical Address: 00-13-CE-9F-71-82
IP Address: 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained: 31/03/2008 10:07:42
Lease Expires: 01/04/2008 10:07:42
DNS Server: 192.168.1.254
WINS Server:

I'll have to leave this for a while Rik. I'm being called away to other duties by The Boss, the same as wants everything switched off every night. ;) Thanks for your help so far!

Rik

That looks OK. If you don't connect when you next power up, repeat the exercise and see what's in that box.
Rik
--------------------

dudwell

Will do, thanks. I think I should have edited out my IP address, all done in a rush.... I'll return to this much later.

Rik

Your IP address isn't showing, I checked. That's just a LAN address, shared by thousands of us. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: dudwell on Mar 31, 2008, 12:50:05
Will do, thanks. I think I should have edited out my IP address, all done in a rush.... I'll return to this much later.

No need - they're only local IPs. :)

I can't really add much to what's already been said. It sounds like the PC is failing to get an IP address automatically until you "force" it.

Steve

Presumably you have managed to configure a dial up ppp session. Look at IE >tools >internet options>connections. Should be "never dial a connection" Also check 192.168.1.254 (your router) and look at internet settings, under PPP settings, connection mode should say "always on".
Steve
------------

dudwell

stevethegas: both your suggestions were already in place, thanks.

Sebby: I'm sure you're right.

Rik: powering down then up again made no difference and the box remained unchanged except for the times:-

Physical Address: 00-13-CE-9F-71-82
IP Address: 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained: 31/03/2008 20:38:03
Lease Expires: 01/04/2008 20:38:03
DNS Server: 192.168.1.254
WINS Server:

But I think I've cracked it by my well-tried method of fumbling about uncomprehendingly!! :fingers: When I tried for the BBC home page, while feeling sure I was not connected, a Speedtouch page appeared which offered the chance to "connect" or "repair", I can't remember which  :conf:. Since then I've powered down and up again a couple of times and connection has been established automatically each time. I'll not experiment again today for fear of BT's system thinking there's instability.

Thanks to you all for your help, never had anything like this available when I was with "Supanot".

Dudwell

Sebby

Are you running firmware version 6.1.4.3 by any chance?

If you're not sure, login to the SpeedTouch by navigating to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser and it should tell you.

dudwell

No, it's the 6.2.29.2 it came with as a Tiscali (can I say that?) pre-configured Speedtouch off eBay.

While we're on the subject, hovering the mouse arrow over the connection monitor ikon in the system tray usually shows Speed: 54 Mbps, sometimes it drops to 48 or 36 Mbps, even once to 18 Mbps. Once or twice I've noticed that the ikon has changed to a radiating transmitter mast and hovering the mouse arrow reveals nothing at all. Absolutely nothing has been changed or moved by a single millimetre and everything works OK regardless. Could it be that the Speedtouch is "on the blink" perhaps?

Sebby

You're allowed to use that word as we're trying to find the issue, though usually it's banned. :P

That firmware should be okay; I know the one before that had similar problems to the ones you described. I don't know what else to suggest, other than flashing the latest firmware (though I suspect this is easier said than done as it's Tiscali infected, so probably won't let you load the generic firmware).

Rik

Quote from: dudwell on Mar 31, 2008, 21:37:27
Could it be that the Speedtouch is "on the blink" perhaps?

It's possible, or it could be that there's a nearby router on the same channel. Try changing to ch1 or ch6 (assuming you're currently on ch11).
Rik
--------------------

dudwell

Thanks Rik. I've found something in Wireless Network Connection Properties called Ad Hoc Channel and changed it to 6. Is that it? Shouldn't it be necessary to change the router to 6 as well? I can't seem to find anything relevant in the router's web pages. Everything continues to work OK so perhaps it's time to stop here?

Sebby

That won't do it, you'll need to change it on the router. The ad hoc setting won't come into play unless you connect directly with another wireless device such as a laptop (e.g. laptop to laptop with no router in between).

I notice you have a SpeedTouch. This is from memory as I no longer have this router, but click Home Network on the left-hand menu, then click WLAN SpeedTouch on that page, then I think you press Configure in the top right.

dudwell

When I arrived at the right SpeedTouch page I found the channel was 6 already! Channel Selection is on Automatic. Thanks Sebby. I think I'll stop tinkering now while everything is still working :fingers:

Sebby

I'm not sure how automatic channel selection works, i.e. how it decides which channel to use. At least you know where the settings are now, so if you have any further problems, you can try setting the channel manually. :)