What Next ???

Started by jackmalanak, Apr 04, 2008, 19:01:59

Previous topic - Next topic

jackmalanak

OK Folks need a bit advice.
I know some of you read and were kind enough to comment on this earlier post of mine.

This one Here !!!

Since then I've managed to get hold of a Dual SSID model and it's now been up and running
for 21 Days without losing sync. Now as I understand it somewhere around the 14 Day period
my line should have automatically re-synced and have gone from 15db down to 12db.
For some unknown reason this hasn't happened, so what is the best way forward?
Do I power down the router and leave it off overnight hoping it corrects itself on start up, shall I leave it a little longer
to do it's own thing or shall I contact IDNet to see if they can sort it with BT.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks all.

Rik

Hi Jack

The router doesn't re-sync upwards automatically, just use the reset options to drop DSL and it will re-connect. I'd leave it until the morning, though, as noise is lower then and you'll get the best speed you can. If the target noise margin hasn't changed, have a word with support.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Yep, as Rik says, the router won't re-sync by itself, you will need to do this manually. You may find that the target SNRM hasn't move - sometimes the automatic system doesn't work, in which case it'll be worth asking support if they can get BT to drop it. Unfortunately, BT won't always do it, but it's worth a try. :)

Rik

I was leaving the potential bad news till tomorrow, Sebby. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I must be less thoughtful. :laugh:

Rik

You've got to leave a man his dreams. :)
Rik
--------------------

jackmalanak

Thanks for the replies fellas I'll try it tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Sebby you really are Jobe's Comforter just as well you're not working for the Samaritans you'd be a right Wow  ;D

Lance

Hope it does reduce for you, Jack!
Lance
_____

Simon

Quote from: jackmalanak on Apr 04, 2008, 19:52:01
Sebby you really are Jobe's Comforter just as well you're not working for the Samaritans you'd be a right Wow  ;D

:lol:  :karmic:
Simon.
--

Sebby

Inactive

Brutally honest ..  ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

jackmalanak

Sebby you gave me the Black Spot it's all your fault  ;)

Yip you got it, re-synched this morning and not a sniff of a difference still stuck on 15db. I'll give support a ring next week and see what the craic is.

Cheers all

Sebby

In my experience, that system where the target SNRM is supposed to drop by itself doesn't work. I know it's worked for some, but generally it doesn't seem to work; I'm not sure of the reason for that.

Mention to IDNet that things used to be unstable before the "upgrades" you did, and that now things are rock solid as it may well help their case with BT. :thumb:

Lance

Especially mention the fact that you have been connected for 21 days without loss of sync.
Lance
_____

Ann

It'll only go from 15 to 12 if it's stable enough.  If there's a lot of line problems and errors then it won't.  It's worth a try to get IDNet to ask BT to try to lower it but if it's unstable it will simply go back the way it was.  I did that but am back at 15 now.

Sebby

You're right, Ann. Something's changed fairly recently, I think. IDNet put mine back to 6dB, which was fine for the first year or so of max, but despite having no disconnections, the exchange kept upping it straight to 15dB, probably due to errors. Eventually I got it set at 9dB manually and it's stable.

I think it's fair to say that the exchange is probably cleverer than we give it credit for, even if it is a bit aggressive sometimes. :)