Leaving Nildram

Started by GarryF, Apr 01, 2008, 14:06:18

Previous topic - Next topic

GarryF

thanks for the help guys, making good progress here  :D I'll try and elimate the noisy devices as that would seem to be just good practise, I've ordered up the face plate and will report back when it's fitted anyways :)

I requested the MAC at lunchtime monday so I think I'll give them a stern reminder that they are halfway through their 5 days if nothing appears before 5PM tonight  ;D

Malc

Quote from: GarryF on Apr 01, 2008, 22:50:29

now if only I could get my MAC code....

:mad:

I know the feeling, it'll all be behind you soon.

Rik

Quote from: GarryF on Apr 02, 2008, 09:37:13
I requested the MAC at lunchtime monday so I think I'll give them a stern reminder that they are halfway through their 5 days if nothing appears before 5PM tonight  ;D

It won't do any harm, Garry, especially if you mention Ofcom in the process. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

GarryF

ho-hum, just got an email saying faceplates are back ordered, expected in on 4/4 (I bet :)) would have been nice to have it fitted before migration.

Sebby

As ADSL max is rate-adaptive, it won't actually matter. There's no new training period as you're migrating, so it's not a problem if you don't fit it until after you're migrated. :)

GarryF

Quote from: Sebby on Apr 02, 2008, 13:35:32
As ADSL max is rate-adaptive, it won't actually matter. There's no new training period as you're migrating, so it's not a problem if you don't fit it until after you're migrated. :)

Cool, that's good to know :)

Sebby

Just one thing to mention; although the sync is rate-adaptive, you may have a wait a few days for the profile to update, but that would apply regardless of when you fit the faceplate. :)

somanyholes

Hi Gary

This may be of interest for your timeout issue, if you are a firefox user.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115

Rik

Though it tends to delete the contents of a post when it refreshes (if you haven't hit post beforehand...).
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

a hah, hasn't bitten me yet that one... cheers rik  :D

Rik

Guess who it has bitten. :)
Rik
--------------------

GarryF

put the two phones back onto the house wiring and getting 6016 so almost the same as nothing plugged in. Then I plugged in the unused extension cable and it's now 6080 :)

I'll keep an eye on speeds until the faceplate arrives, then hopefully it's stay 7000+

After making a change I'm restarting the router, do I need to do that or will the speed drop etc automatically when it detects line interference?

Rik

You don't need to re-start for downwards shifts, Garry, only for upwards ones, so if you reduce the potential for noise, re-boot, otherwise you can let nature take its course.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Apr 02, 2008, 15:38:07
a hah, hasn't bitten me yet that one... cheers rik  :D

that's cos you hardly ever manage to string more than a couple of words together  ;)

Inactive

Quote from: madasahatter on Apr 02, 2008, 19:17:16
that's cos you hardly ever manage to string more than a couple of words together  ;)

OUCH..  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

GarryF

MAC code was in my mail box this morning without having to prod them so not too bad :)

I signed up with ID net, didn't like the bit when I entered my line and they told me my max speed was 2 Mbs, I've assumed that's just them guessing.

Rik

It will be based on the checker database, it has no impact on your actual speed. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: GarryF on Apr 03, 2008, 08:11:20
I signed up with ID net, didn't like the bit when I entered my line and they told me my max speed was 2 Mbs, I've assumed that's just them guessing.

Take no notice of it, it's largely fictional. Plus, we know it's not the case. ;D

Malc

Quote from: GarryF on Apr 03, 2008, 08:11:20

Mine said 2 as well, and I get 7.5!

GarryF

Yeah, I thought they were playing it safe, other providers have quoted 6 so just thought it odd they quoted 2, I guess that way no one can complain if it's not faster than that :)

got their confirmation email, says it will be done by 6PM of the 8th which is next Tuesday, will it probably happen monday night?

Sebby

It's not IDNet that are quoting 2Mb; the data comes from BT Wholesale's checker. It's strange that you got different results with different ISPs though. Still, it makes no odds anyway. :)

The 6pm thing is just so BT get the whole day, but usually migrations take place in the early hours, so you may well wake up on Tuesday and be able to connect to IDNet. ;)

Simon

Nice one, Garry, you won't regret the move.  :thumb:
Simon.
--

GarryF

adslnation emailed me saying filter went out last night and it arrived this morning  :thumb:

Just installed it and attached is the new stats, even higher than I got earlier in the week  8)

gigianews is getting 150-200kb/s, still pretty cr*p

and here's a speed test
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/12074054839641832948.html
pretty poor

Considering I used to get 840kb/s I'm kinda hoping a decent ISP will get back to 600+, time will tell though :)

So after I migrate on Tuesday is there anything else I can do to improve things or will my speed now gradually improve over the next week
What about noise margin, does it reduce automatically or can i request that lowered now I've improved things?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

Can you get a BT speed test done, Garry? I suspect that your profile may give us a clue.

BT often refuse to reduce noise margin if it's been increased to stabilise a line, but given the improvement in your d/s synch speed, it's worth trying to get it down.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Your profile is going to need to update to match the new sync, which will take a few days. :)