Could I have a diagnosis please on stats

Started by David, Apr 01, 2008, 23:11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Not necessarily, David. Is the router an N model (sorry, I can't remember). Sometimes, it comes down to one manufacturers wireless kit not working with another's.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

Not sure what an N model is Rik 

Netgear DG834G v3

Adaptors WG111 v2
any help to you
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

It would be an 834N or 834PN, David. As you're using all Netgear, there shouldn't be a compatibility problem. One issue might just be that you have a USB1.1 interface, which could slow things down a bit, but I would have though that unlikely.

When connected wirelessly, what connection speed and signal strength does Windows show (hover the mouse over the connection icon in the system tray)?
Rik
--------------------

David

54mbps exactly the same as when connected
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

By 'when connected' do you mean that you had wireless active when you used the cable connection? The icon for that should have shown 100Mbps as the connection speed. How about the signal strength?
Rik
--------------------

David

signal strength is 54
speed I have 5 green bars showing
had a look  in properties and just shows receiving etc
There is no numeric speed indicator I can find

What I am looking at
speed 54 mbps
signal strength Excellent
status connected

Rik

The speed of the wireless link is 54Mbps, with a signal strength of 5, which, from memory, should be labelled good or excellent?

Try doing a wireless speed test, if the result is lower than that which you got using the cable, briefly turn off encryption in the router and try again. If the result improves, the encryption is the problem and we need to work out why.
Rik
--------------------

David

carried out this and the reading on a wireless is the same strength and same speed

Rik

Sorry, what I'm saying is run some speed tests again as per reply #19, if they don't produce figures as fast as then, try turning off encryption and run them again.
Rik
--------------------

David

Sorry Rik misunderstood.

When I went wireless carried out 3 tests all showed a drop of nearly half and the upstream also fell back

The router is situated about a foot away from the adapter here as well

Sebby

Could you try changing the wireless channel, David? Try 1, 6 and 11.

David

Sebby

It certainly seems that the wireless is behaving strangely, so it'll be interesting to see if changing channels helps. :)

David

thanks sebby its on 11 at present shows good bit lost in how to change channel,never done this before

Sebby

On Netgears, I believe you login to the router (192.168.0.1), click Wireless Settings on the left-hand menu, then you should see a drop-down list to change the channel. Finally, hit apply at the bottom. :)

David

Thanks again for that have tried all three channels and all show the same 54 ,and excellent

Sebby

Sorry, I should've said to run a speed test too!

David

just done that sebby on 6 going wireless halves the speed the same as with 11

Sebby

I'm baffled. I can't believe that wireless with such a strong connection would cause your throughput to drop so significantly. :(

David

Thanks sebby,at least I have the speed I thought should have been there.and managed to at least isolate the issue.
I am well out of my depth but a new router may cure it. :thnks:

Rik

Have you tried running the speed tests with encryption turned off at the router, David?
Rik
--------------------

David

No am in router at moment how do I carry this out? sorry ???

Rik

If you're logged into the router, David, go to the third heading under Settings (Wireless). On that page look for security options, and disable encryption. I can't remember whether that's a checkbox, or you select none from a drop-down list.
Rik
--------------------

David

Has been disabled all the time Rik just double checked and I never did use encryption

Rik

Check your attached devices list then - it could be someone is piggy-backing the connection (though I doubt it).
Rik
--------------------