Bandwidth usage page

Started by stevelondon, Oct 17, 2006, 12:16:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Danni

Quote from: maxping on Oct 17, 2006, 17:47:29
I use Netmeter its free & accurate and only   2 clicks to all the info below. (this isnt mine BTW)
{snip}

Does it work on Linux? And how on earth will it monitor all usage on 2 PCs and a laptop? :P
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

maxping

Does it work on Linux?

Don't know i haven't tried it  ;)

And how on earth will it monitor all usage on 2 PCs and a laptop? :P

In options you can set what interface you would like to monitor , i have it set to "All Interfaces"  :P

karvala

Programs like Netmeter are okay (Bitmeter2 is better IMO, but they're the same sort of thing), but you run into problems if you run a LAN from a modem/router, because the programs simply monitor all traffic on specified interfaces; there is no way to distinguish between packets coming from other machines on the LAN, and from the WAN.  As such, if you have a LAN, you'll get very inflated figures.  If you just use it on a standalone machine, it's fine.

If you do use a LAN, you can of course get the traffic stats from the router instead in most cases, although you have to be careful to log them or they can get lost if you reboot or reset the router.

Danni

And there is the other problem- there is a lot of traffic between the PCs and laptop (one of the PCs is my daughters but also acts as my fileserver as my laptop has limited space) and that can be several GB a day. I think I'll stick with IDNet's (router doesn't keep those sort of logs).
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

jaydub

If you have an SNMP enabled router, try PRTG.  It is able to monitor the PPP port on your router.

The only downside is that if you want your figures to match the ISPs you need to keep the monitoring PC on for 24 hours a day.

We run it on our main PC and just try to keep that PC on whilst there is any other PC in the house connecting to the internet.

VaderDSL

Sorry to rehash the same question, but was just wondering, the cap runs from beginning of the month until the end yes?

Lance

That's what I've read elsewhere on this forum. Someone asked the same question not long ago and it was confirmed that it is indeed beginning to end of month.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Nerval

Yes, I asked it, and stevelondon confirmed that it works from beginning to end of calendar month.

That I suppose is why the bandwidth counter on your account page works by calendar month.

VaderDSL

Quote from: Nerval on Oct 23, 2006, 09:05:17
Yes, I asked it, and stevelondon confirmed that it works from beginning to end of calendar month.

That I suppose is why the bandwidth counter on your account page works by calendar month.

Cheers, was worried as it only shows 12 October 2006 to 23 October 2006 and it is less than 1Gb off 30Gb.

Nerval

If I remember, Simon posted elsewhere that the bandwidth monitor was reset on 12th, and that bandwidth before than wouldn't count for this month.  But if you're up to 29GB with a week to go, it doesn't look too good.