IDNet email - sending via alternate SMTP servers

Started by Zirynx, Feb 28, 2008, 17:01:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Zirynx

I absolutely agree!

If this were the case (and my experiments thus far suggest it isn't), then I would actively support the restriction of not being able to send IDNet-identity emails via other ISPs' SMTP servers.

Simon

I'm sure there's a reason why authenticated SMTP isn't currently available, but let us know what Martin says on Monday.  I have to say, I don't recall anyone else bringing this up recently, so maybe it's not widely used in general?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

One of the reasons may be that idnet.com addresses are a free service.
Rik
--------------------

Zirynx

A long time coming but, nevertheless, an update...

After a conversation (a few weeks ago now) with Martin, (who spoke with the usual IDNet helpfulness) I learned that Password Authenticated SMTP is available on IDNet. It turns out that I was initially unsuccessful at getting it to work because:

1) I was pointing my email client to port 465, whereas IDNet port 587, which is equally 'standard'! :)

2) I had also enabled the 'SSL secure connection' option. Reminder to self, SSL is not the same as Password Authenticated SMTP!! :no:

Anyway, that solves my on/off network SMTP question, and I have setup password authenticated SMTP as standard, even when 'on network'.

Thanks for everyone's help on this, and if I can be of any further help to anyone else, just ask.

Sebby

cavillas

------
Alf :)

Rik

Noted for the forum database, thanks Zirynx. :)
Rik
--------------------