Strange Problem

Started by Takeshatt, Apr 04, 2008, 22:10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Hell, at least the quake didn't affect anyone's ADSL connection. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Takeshatt

Ok last question. Would a newer (more upto date) router be better, if it is an interference issue.

Had an issue at 11.25, according to Son, but nothing so far with Sky+ box off phone line.

Once again ta for advice, its been really useful.

Sebby

This can't be contention. Your SNRM is determined by the lone quality, which comprises of many factors.

In this case I don't think a new router would be better, though of course your current one could be faulty (but I doubt it).

We could be off the mark; your SNRM may always have been at its current level, which in itself is okay.

For now, though, I think we need to try and find if there is a strong noise source.

MoHux

Would a quiet-line test on voice help??

:)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Malc

Quote from: Rik on Apr 05, 2008, 12:53:10
Not to mention Sky boxes, of course...

Bloody sky boxes, mine won't record, so I pay the £65 the came today -2 HOURS LATE - and the damn box they brought won't turn on.

Now they're coming back on Tuesday...   :rant2: :mad:

Niall

Just out of curiosity (and baring in mind this could be entirely unrelated as I've never bothered looking into this), are you using a wireless router? If so, is there an Xbox360 plugged in, in the same room?

It may sound strange, but when I use a video receiver in this room to send Sky to here (not got multiroom in this room), if I turn on the Xbox it renders it useless, and the same if I turn on the wireless side of the router.

As I say, I've no idea if these things interfere with each other (xbox & router) but I know they do pump out interference.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Inactive

Quote from: Malc on Apr 05, 2008, 22:42:23
Bloody sky boxes, mine won't record, so I pay the £65 the came today -2 HOURS LATE - and the damn box they brought won't turn on.

Now they're coming back on Tuesday...   :rant2: :mad:

Is it an Amstrad Malc?, if it is, they should replace it FOC, as far as I am aware.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Malc

Quote from: Niall on Apr 05, 2008, 23:30:43
Just out of curiosity (and baring in mind this could be entirely unrelated as I've never bothered looking into this), are you using a wireless router? If so, is there an Xbox360 plugged in, in the same room?

It may sound strange, but when I use a video receiver in this room to send Sky to here (not got multiroom in this room), if I turn on the Xbox it renders it useless, and the same if I turn on the wireless side of the router.

As I say, I've no idea if these things interfere with each other (xbox & router) but I know they do pump out interference.

No Xbox, and the router is cabled to the PC 

Malc

Quote from: Inactive on Apr 05, 2008, 23:41:25
Is it an Amstrad Malc?, if it is, they should replace it FOC, as far as I am aware.

It's a Pace and I've had it nearly 3 years, so it's out of warranty, they're coming back Tuesday.

Rik

It might be worth mentioning the Sale of Goods Act to them Malc, which provides for a warranty of six years on electrical goods. That said, you're on a sliding scale, and the £65 charge is probably about what a court would decide after three years.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

;D ;D HaHaHa . This is Sky Rik, they set their own rules.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

madasahatter

You're right of course Rik, but did Malc buy the box himself, or did Sky give it "free" with the subscription?

Not sure how he'd stand if he got it free tbh.

Rik

Sky subsidise boxes but you still pay for them and the SoGA still applies. Sky don't acknowledge this until you argue, of course, but they will if the call gets escalated to Customer Care. However, a new box is currently £139 or so, so on a sliding scale, half price at 3+ years sounds OK to me (and they will sort any dish, LNB or wiring problems while they are there).
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Ah right - didn't know you had to pay for the boxes and subscribe as well - makes it more of a rip off than I thought :(

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Apr 06, 2008, 09:59:59
(and they will sort any dish, LNB or wiring problems while they are there).

Read " should " dependant on which monkey they send. ;D ;D

Rik

An annual sub is in the region of £540 for the full package. The box is cheap by comparison. :)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Inactive on Apr 06, 2008, 10:03:57
Read " should " dependant on which monkey they send. ;D ;D

I have my own, personal, special care engineer. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I do my own Rik, I wouldn't let any Sky Monkeys near my property, I have seen too many bodge jobs by them.

Rik

So have I, In, that's why I have my own SCE. If you complain the right way, you can get a result with Murdoch. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Malc

I only paid £65 for the box, my old style box gave up three years ago, so, I rang then and told them that I wasn't going to pay £199 (then) for a sky+ box and asked to cancel, they offered me the sky+ box for a £65 call out fee, so I can't complain really.

Rik

I don't think you can, Malc, but I doubt you'll get a Pace this time. :(
Rik
--------------------

Malc

It was a pace they brought yeaterday, but it wouldn't power up, so we'll find out on Tuesday.

Rik

From the reports I've seen, Sky have few Paces available atm.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Just make 100% certain the the replacement box isn't an Amstrad  Malc, also get the installer to fire up the replacement and show you that it is fully working.

If you have a choice, ask for another Pace one.

Malc

I'm not too worried, as long as it lasts a year, I'm looking at the HD route as soon as the beeb thing starts next year, hopefully prices will drop a bit when sky has some competition.