PayPal mandatory, says eBay Australia

Started by somanyholes, Apr 10, 2008, 10:19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

madasahatter

That's not good at all - and no doubt coming to an ebay near you very soon.......

Inactive

Just a matter of Time I suspect Mad. :(
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

madasahatter

tbh In, I have never used ebay so it won't really affect me, but obvioulsy a lot of peeps do. I have heard many scare stories about paypal in the past, and have pretty much lost faith in them.

Inactive

I use eBay on rare occasions Mad, mainly as a buyer.

It is hardly worth the bother selling stuff on there as a private seller, once you add up the eBay and Paypal charges, there is little left. :'(

Simon

To be honest, I don't think this is a bad idea.  I won't deal with sellers who don't use PayPal, as other methods, such as cheques, take too long to clear, and therefore delay the dispatch of the item.  I have had to make a claim twice through PayPal for goods not received, and on both occasions, I have received a refund without any problems.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Apr 10, 2008, 10:55:24
I use eBay on rare occasions Mad, mainly as a buyer.

It is hardly worth the bother selling stuff on there as a private seller, once you add up the eBay and Paypal charges, there is little left. :'(
that so true In, and I have no faith in paypal either, I know so many people who at Christmas have been ripped off for presents for their kids as they are tight on money so bought from there, and ebay does nothing to help  :(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sebby

I agree with Simon. Other than the nasty fees that PayPal charge for you to receive payments, I find it gives peace of mind. I simply request that my buyers have a confirmed address if they want to pay by PayPal, and if they do, I'm protected. In some ways, it's safer than having a cheque sent.

And for payments, it's nice and simple. :)

Noreen

I was interested to see a thread about PayPal because I have to send some dollars to the US and PayPal has been suggested. This is not anything to do with eBay but is to someone that I know. Previously I'd used an American Express international money order made out in dollars but I found out today that they no longer supplied them. Would it be OK to use PayPal, I really know nothing about them?

Sebby

You can use PayPal for that, Noreen. It originally started out as a money transfer service, became popular for eBay transactions (for obvious reasons), and then got bought by eBay. But it's still a separate service, so to speak.

If you send some money, the receiver will find they have less in their account than you sent as PayPal will take fees, so you might need to consider that when sending, but otherwise, it's very straightforward. :)

Noreen

Sebby, is it something that I have to join or register or whatever? Can I just use a credit card, how does it work? As I said I've never used them. I have the recipient's PayPal details.

Sebby

You'll need to register, Noreen. Once you've created an account, you can add a debit or credit card, and choose to setup a Direct Debit if you'd prefer transfers to come from your bank account. One you've done that, it's just a case of clicking send money, putting the recipient's email address in (the on that their PayPal account is registered in), filling in a couple of bits, and clicking send. The transfer is instant. :)

Noreen

Quote from: Sebby on Apr 10, 2008, 16:59:46
You'll need to register, Noreen. Once you've created an account, you can add a debit or credit card, and choose to setup a Direct Debit if you'd prefer transfers to come from your bank account.
As this would only be occasional (it's actually a financial contribution towards the running of a independant forum run by volunteers) could I just use my credit card?

Sebby

Noreen

Gary

Quote from: Sebby on Apr 10, 2008, 13:42:49
I agree with Simon. Other than the nasty fees that PayPal charge for you to receive payments, I find it gives peace of mind. I simply request that my buyers have a confirmed address if they want to pay by PayPal, and if they do, I'm protected. In some ways, it's safer than having a cheque sent.

And for payments, it's nice and simple. :)
I think I just don't trust third parties and my cards after a few nasty transactions with card fraud Sebby :(

Sebby

That's why you must request a confirmed address, Gary. :)

Gary

Quote from: Sebby on Apr 10, 2008, 21:00:29
That's why you must request a confirmed address, Gary. :)
I know but there is something I dont like about letting paypal and my bank communicate just one of those things, I really like to keep my bank out of the picture always  ;)

colirv

Paypal is not quite so straightforward for the recipient, who has to set up an arrangement with his/her bank in order to get the cash transferred.
Colin

Lance

i had an email the other day saying that soon all sellers will have to offer paypal, although it will be in addition to the other methods. Personally, i only buy using palpal.
Lance
_____

Noreen

Made the transaction and it apparently worked. ;D Although PayPal doesn't require you to register to make a credit card payment, I did join.

Simon

Simon.
--

Sebby

I didn't realise you don't have to register to make a credit card payment. :)

Noreen

I understand that it's something new, Sebby. I joined because I thought that it may be useful sometime. :)