Tiscali sale process to kick off this week

Started by Noreen, Apr 14, 2008, 18:09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I'll be interested to see who bids, if anyone. Given the pressures in the mass-ISP markets at the moment, I wouldn't have thought too many people would be rushing to invest, but what do I know?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Cookiemonster

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the big UK based ISP's put a bid in.

Rik

Me neither. If they did, they'd probably face a competition enquiry and Tiscali has never made a profit, so what is there to buy?
Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster

Yeah that's true. So what now? Foreign bidder?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster

And then the chances of Tiscali being saved and actually becoming a good ISP??  :pig:

Rik

Next to nothing, imo. Whoever buys will want a quick return, so they're unlikely to make the necessary investment. :(
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Can you see Virgin lining up to buy it?

Richard does like underachieving companies, NTL and Northern Rock spring to mind.

Rik

Quote from: Noreen on Apr 14, 2008, 18:33:31
http://www.retail-week.com/2008/04/carphone_warehouse_interested_in_tiscali.html

I just wonder how they will (a) finance it and (b) get it past the regulators. I suppose the latter may be possible, but with AOL already in their portfolio, it will give them dominance.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Malc on Apr 14, 2008, 18:34:47
Can you see Virgin lining up to buy it?

Possible, but again the regulatory position would be interesting - particularly given Virgin is the only alternative to ADSL.
Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster

It's so funny but all these big names are actually rubbish at providing a decent ADSL service. In fact i can't think off the top of my head of ANY big UK ISP's that are any good.

David

I'm so glad I got out when I did,there are so many locked in and with the latest ads running I expect there will be thousands just joined up,it cant get any worse for them surely.hope not for their sakes  :fingers:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

I wonder whether the price is fixed in the contract??  >:D
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Apr 14, 2008, 18:43:01
I wonder whether the price is fixed in the contract??  >:D

there'll be something nasty regarding price in the small print i would have thought  :(

David

Possibly tied in for 12 months whether or not you can downgrade in this time I am not sure I was never offered this option until after the 12 months so could have a sting in the tail  >:D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

madasahatter

the best way to get out of your contract with Tiscali was to download anything and everything, thus get well and trully FUPped, and get offered your mac to get rid of you. Don't know if that still works  >:D

Rik

It would certainly fit with their business model, Mad...
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Quote from: madasahatter on Apr 14, 2008, 19:38:28
the best way to get out of your contract with Tiscali was to download anything and everything, thus get well and trully FUPped, and get offered your mac to get rid of you. Don't know if that still works  >:D

It worked when they took over popex last October  ;D

madasahatter

thing is, with them looking for buyers at the moment, they may well be a little more reluctant to let peeps go - obviously their "strength" is the large user base that they have

David

The reason for the latest TV campaign perhaps must have captured a lot of new people ?

Tacitus

Quote from: jester212 on Apr 14, 2008, 18:38:53
It's so funny but all these big names are actually rubbish at providing a decent ADSL service. In fact i can't think off the top of my head of ANY big UK ISP's that are any good.

O2/Be aren't bad apparently.  Whether Telefonica Esp - O2s parent company - would be interested in buying Tiscali, is another matter.  Can't see any reason why they would given the shambles they would inherit.

Cookiemonster

Quote from: Tacitus on Apr 14, 2008, 20:28:18
O2/Be aren't bad apparently.  Whether Telefonica Esp - O2s parent company - would be interested in buying Tiscali, is another matter.  Can't see any reason why they would given the shambles they would inherit.

Only if you can get them. They only have 1,004 unbundled exchanges with another 400 pending!