Not staying logged in

Started by Rik, Oct 30, 2006, 15:43:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Having just joined (migrate in on Thursday  :) ), I've signed in here on a 'forever' basis, but the site forgets me when I leave. I've checked that there is no cookie being put on my machine, which I would have expected, have I missed something obvious? (Cookies are working for other sites I use regularly...)

Apologies if I've chosen the wrong forum to post this in.

Slainthe!

Rik
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

stevelondon

Hi rikbean
I just checked mine that i have to ignore idnetters.idnet.co.uk and www.idnetters.co.uk i use firefox and IE.

Rik

Hi Steve

I'm on IE6 (I know...  ::) ). Coming here 'cold', ie just to the URL, the board does not remember me. Coming here by clicking the link alerting me to your reply, the board does remember me.

I'm confused.  ???
Rik
--------------------

Nerval

It's cookies rik.
You need to avoid deleting any beginning with idnet as Steve says.

Rik

Thanks, Nerval. I have three relevant cookies, idnet.co.uk and two for idnetters.co.uk. Should I have more? Would I be best served by deleting them all and starting again?

Thanks.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Reply to myself. The idnetters cookies have expiry dates of 2012 and 2038, both show modified access times to match my arrival here. So they seem to be working, they remain after I leave, but the board isn't picking up on them. What stupid thing can I have done?  :)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Even more confused reply to myself.

When I arrive at the home page, I'm shown as not logged in. Once I enter this (or any) forum, I'm shown as logged in. If I go back to the home page, I'm still logged in. Go away and come back, I go through the same process.
Rik
--------------------

stevelondon

I only have the 2 i mentioned above but i have noticed that sporadically im logged in automatically other than that me username and password is already there and i have to click login ive no idea why.

Nerval

Hi again.
I've got idnet.net;   idnet.co.ukidnetters.co.uk;  and idnetters.idnet.co.uk

Though I've tried to keep logged into the Broadband usage page (doesn't work, but may account for two of the cookies).
But it always works for the forums.  I've never had to log in again since I saved the cookies.

I wonder if it's a problem with the browser.  Try it on Firefox.

jaydub

I get logged out regardless of which browser I've used and I've tried IE, Firefox and Opera.

Scott is aware from a posting I made at ADSLG.

stevelondon

Quote from: Nerval on Oct 30, 2006, 19:08:16
Hi again.
I've got idnet.net;   idnet.co.ukidnetters.co.uk;  and idnetters.idnet.co.uk

Though I've tried to keep logged into the Broadband usage page (doesn't work, but may account for two of the cookies).
But it always works for the forums.  I've never had to log in again since I saved the cookies.

I wonder if it's a problem with the browser.  Try it on Firefox.

Ive saved both and it seems sporadic np really just clicking login as the username and password are there, it seems at times some are loginless i am now resigned to being in a state of longinlessness  ::) :out: :banana2:

Nerval

Hmmm.  I love "loginlessness" (the word, not the concept) :police:

Strange that I am always loginful on the forum, but loginless on the IDNet broadband monitor page.  Presumably some problem at IDNet's end then.

Rik

Well, at least it sounds like I've not done anything really daft. That is unusal.  ;) Thanks, guys.
Rik
--------------------

Xbandito

Well I have another silly log in problem......first page of forum says "welcome Guest"....when I go to any of the index's ie. IDNetters Help it says "Hey Xbandito"......now this has only started since Maxping become an admin  :P who let him loose on the forum ???  ;D

Rik

That's exactly what I get. So we can blame Maxping, eh? Nice to know.  :)
Rik
--------------------

maxping

Use Roboform it  fills the username & password and takes you into the site. (its free)

IE version - http://www.roboform.com/

FF version - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Password-Managers-Generators/Roboform-Firefox-Mozilla-Adapter.shtml

Rik

Thanks for the link. Does this mean you do accept responsibility?  :)
Rik
--------------------

maxping

Quote from: rikbean on Nov 01, 2006, 17:43:52
Thanks for the link. Does this mean you do accept responsibility?  :)

No I'm just a helpful chap ;)

BulletRAFC

I get exactly the same problem. and it's been doing my head in for ages.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

maxping

Did you give Roboform a try?

Rik

Not yet, I thought I'd get my migration sorted first (next few hours). However, it's downloaded and waiting.
Rik
--------------------

maxping

If you haven't used it before when you fill in the password e.t.c. on the log in screen of a site you are visiting, hit the "save" button in the tool-bar and thats all you do.

The next time you visit the site when the log in screen appears simply place the cursor on the name of the site in the tool-bar (close to the "save" button) and it will offer to either fill or fill & submit, and thats it.

Rik

That'll save me reading the tutorial, thanks. AAMOI, how's it different to Windows auto-complete/remember passwords?
Rik
--------------------

Nerval

Just had a look and it says

RoboForm is completely free if you have 10 passwords or less in it

Sp presumably you need the paid version for more than that.