21CN

Started by zrerz, Mar 18, 2008, 12:51:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Does the noise last for long, ie long enough for you to log a fault report with BT on the voice side?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gingerjedi

Sorry Rik... I didn't see that reply. :-[

No, if you pick the handset up it usually clears itself after a short time.

I've been reading similar stories on other sites and some people mention that the ADSL router might be overdriven? They are saying the signal from the exchange is too strong, I am currently on standard Home 2000 package but my previous ISP had me on a MAX product, could there be a setting that's been overlooked at the exchange when switching from MAX to standard?

Rik

The settings should all be handled automatically, when the router negotiates a connection. If the fault is clearing after a short time, and it occurs on different phones, I'd be thinking about bad joints. The extra current drawn when the handset is used might be whetting the joint and allowing it to conduct more easily.
Rik
--------------------

gingerjedi

Quote6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with little or no synch problems* (but see note below)
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

* Note that there may be short term bursts of noise that may drop the margin, but due to the sampling time of the management utility in your modem, will not show up in the figures.

Just found this posted by another techie, my SNR is usually about 16dB which puts me in the 'noise burst' zone, or like you said it could be a leaky joint somewhere on the line.

I'm going to give up now, thanks for the help.  :thumb:

Rik

What router are you using? It might be worth running Routerstats to see what the noise performance is like.

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Rik
--------------------