BT Home Hub security

Started by madasahatter, Apr 23, 2008, 19:36:47

Previous topic - Next topic

madasahatter

Lance

Glad I don't use one! Mind you, the business hub has its faults!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

The thing is, someone realistically needs access to your router to get the serial. If they can get the serial, they can get the key, as they're both printing on the casing.

somanyholes

at the end of the day mate, its uses 40bit key by default, which is terrible, and we all know how insecure wep is. one comment on the page advises that their speedtouch modem is also affected which is interesting, a handy tool for the toolbox anyways.

madasahatter

Cheers mate - had a couple too many last night  :blush:

It is actually an interesting little article  :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: somanyholes on Apr 24, 2008, 07:37:13
at the end of the day mate, its uses 40bit key by default, which is terrible, and we all know how insecure wep is. one comment on the page advises that their speedtouch modem is also affected which is interesting, a handy tool for the toolbox anyways.
It never amazes me how many manufacturers send out machines wth wep on the by default, it is not hard to set up wpa2 personally I use a 63 character ASCII password with wpa2 psk and a 32 ASCII one for the SSID, have mac filtering on, my network set to hidden, that's the best I can do really, if people actually learned to read up on what they have it may help, google tells you it all.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

somanyholes

the isssue there is they don't want people contacting there tech dept's etc because they are using legacy hardware, e.g. cards that only support wep. backward compatilbilty causes many security issues. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Rik

Have you been consorting with Ann Robinson again, So? ;D
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Apr 24, 2008, 12:48:04
Have you been consorting with Ann Robinson again, So? ;D

:lol:

He is Anne Robinson! The Anne you see on TV is a very clever disguise - takes him hours in make up to look that bad  ;)  ;D

Malc

Your being a naughty Hoob again  ;D

madasahatter

Sorry iver  :blush: just couldn't resist  ;D

somanyholes

ann looks at groove very sternly  >:D

Rik

Thinking of a recent story I noticed about AR, I'm beginning to worry slightly.  :o
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Apr 24, 2008, 14:28:40
ann looks at groove very sternly  >:D
:pat: :wimp: ;D

Edit: Smiley markup sorted

Inactive

Quote from: madasahatter on Apr 24, 2008, 13:50:51
:lol:

He is Anne Robinson! The Anne you see on TV is a very clever disguise - takes him hours in make up to look that bad  ;)  ;D

It takes the real Ann Robinson hours to look that bad as well. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.