Email down/slow?

Started by Dopamine, May 10, 2008, 14:46:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebby

If only spam could be eliminated from existence. Unfortunately, I can't see that ever happening. :(

Rik

It will only happen if it costs more to send than the spammers can earn from it.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

I can't see that being the case... :(

Rik

No, because people have become used to free email. My first account, in 1984, cost £15pm plus call charges plus data charges. If that model had stuck, spam wouldn't have got off the ground. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I would be happy to pay a sensible amount for email, if it could be guaranteed spam free, and I expect most of us would too, but the average Tiscali user, who think £4.49 is a great deal, isn't going to be easily persuaded.
Simon.
--

Rik

The IDNet £4pm package is pretty much guaranteed to be clean, and that's probably a realistic price for email.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Even if it does become "expensive" to send spam, they'll find ways around it. A major problem is infected PCs, which is again a difficult one to sort.

I've considered hosting my own mailserver with something like SpamAssassin, but I don't think I'm technical enough. :P

Simon

Quote from: Rik on May 11, 2008, 09:53:54
The IDNet £4pm package is pretty much guaranteed to be clean, and that's probably a realistic price for email.

Yes, but that's per account, and I currently have about 6 just with IDNet!
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It seems like a good deal when you think of it like that. 8)

Rik

And it's got premium spam/virus/phishing, auto-responder etc etc. It's actually a pretty good package if email is important to you.
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: Sebby on May 11, 2008, 09:55:13
I've considered hosting my own mailserver with something like SpamAssassin, but I don't think I'm technical enough. :P

It is not that difficult to set up a LAMP server and you would enjoy the technical challenge.

Unlimited websites, as many email addresses as you wish; changed as often as you want.

I create email addresses to suit when looking for insurance quotes etc and then kill it when the task is finished.

all of it running on whatever old equipment you have to hand, or better still on a fanless Epia MB and power supply, my server is rated at 11watts !

Go on, do it; it's very satisfying having total control of it all.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Sebby

Thanks, Alan, I may well give it a go at some point. I've got an old HP e-PC somewhere; that would be perfect! :)

I'm just worried about security. I'm okay with basic networking, but that's about it!