Still having problems

Started by D-Dan, Apr 23, 2008, 20:33:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebby

Yep, very well done, Steve. It must be somewhat of a relief! :)

D-Dan

A final update - then I'll let this thread die (I was tempted to start a new one entitled "You couldn't have scripted it")

After sitting home all day (for reasons I won't go into) I felt a little stir crazy, and decided to pop to the local for an hour. When they have problems with their PCs or network, they usually call on me, and I get a couple of free pints. As it happens, I fixed a (painfully) slow Vista rig for the landlady on Saturday.

Anyway, as I was about to leave, I asked the landlord to keep an ear to the group for anyone selling off a cheap LCD and to give me a nod. Being a pub, I figured there was a good chance he may hear something.

He scratched his chin for a minute, then vanished upstairs mumbling something about his wife may have one at their house.

He came down as his 15 YO son was going in, and mumbled something to him. 5 minutes later, I have a replacement LCD in my arms, for nothing more than the cost of a 5 minute chat :)

Plugged in, booted up, and no SNR drop :)

OK - so the contrast ratio is a bit on the light side, but it will do all I need it to do, and for nada, who's complaining :)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Sebby

Great result, a real happy ending. :thumb:

Lance

Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Which just goes to prove that, when all else fails, going to the pub can be a very constructive move, Steve. :)
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

great result !!!

note to self : visit pub more often.

D-Dan

I was determined not to reply here again, but check the sig link. And yes - it's confirmed with 3 other testers (namesco, BT and - ermm - one I forget - I know how people feel about speedtest.net here)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Lance

Lance
_____

Sebby

D-Dan

Out of interest -

I have two PCs - and therefore two displays. How many people are out there with the exact same problem, except they have just the one PC?

How would they EVER diagnose this?

Well - if they are with Orange - they'd get put on hold a lot and scripted to death, but what about those more fortunate than that. Without a display - they would never know there was a pattern.

Honestly, as happy as I am to fix my own, my heart bleeds.

Yep - I sussed it - there's just no way to say that in a nice way.

Steve

Edit - I just added an LCD monitor to the Upcoming freecycle build.
Have I lost my way?

Sebby

It's an interesting point, Dan, and it's obviously not limited to monitors; there are so many items around the house that can cause these issues. And that's not even taking into consideration poor internal wiring/filters/routers/general setup. Imagine the number of people out there who are getting a fraction of the sync they potentially could.

Lance

its why using a detuned am radio is a good method of finding noise!
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------