Unable to connect - Getting error 718

Started by Gee, Nov 01, 2006, 20:04:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Gee

Hi guys

On Monday and tonight, around 7:45 pm both times, I tried to connect to IDnet and I kept receiving error 718 "The connection was terminated because the remote computer did not respond in a timely manner". After numerous tries, and checking my side(restart, turn off firewall, checked UN/passw, run DRST) it all pointed problem on IDnet side, as I clearly connect to them, but then it fails after the authentication process starts.

After much trying, I eventually connected after about 30 min, and less tongiht, and stayed connected.

I did contact IDnet on Mon, who have done the tests and said my line is clear. However this has happened again tonight, and I wonder what is your take on it.

Thanks
Gee
Gee

maxping

Do you use a usb modem or a modem / router?

The reason i ask is i was trying to get a mates PC connected to the internet last night to download a few progs for him , my modem / router would connect fine on my PC but when i tried to use my 330 speedtouch usb on his it would not connect. (he had no network card so i couldnt connect to the router)

I tried lots of times but it kept trying then giving an error message something like " the PC you are trying to connect to is not responding", i checked all the settings my password and everything lots of times but it  just wouldn't work.

Hope this is of some use in your diagnosis.

Gee

Quote from: maxping on Nov 01, 2006, 20:36:48
Do you use a usb modem or a modem / router?

The reason i ask is i was trying to get a mates PC connected to the internet last night to download a few progs for him , my modem / router would connect fine on my PC but when i tried to use my 330 speedtouch usb on his it would not connect. (he had no network card so i couldnt connect to the router)

Actually, I am using exactly the same Speedtouch 330 modem! (Thought last night I had no problems connecting. ). So if it is to do with the modem, what could it be?  :-[
Gee

maxping

I haven't a clue but if i were you i would get a modem/router as soon as you can even if you have to ebay for one.

Then use the network port on the PC to connect to it instead of usb its far better.

Nerval

Hi
Google would indicate that the error is on the network, nothing to do with your setup:
This is what Virgin says about it.

Error 718: PPP Timeout

This error indicates a connection was made with the server and a PPP conversation started, but was terminated because the remote server did not respond within an appropriate time.

This can usually be resolved by restarting your computer and attempting to connect again. If this does not resolve this issue, it is likely that there is a problem with the exchange/servers you are connecting to. If there is a problem with the exchange/servers there is nothing that can be done to your computer to get this working straight away. We recommend you try the connection again in 30 minute intervals. If the problem persists after 3 hours we recommend you contact our service outage telephone number (available on the contacts page) to see if there are any outages with the ADSL service.

Oddly enough, I turned the computer on last night at about 7.30 and the router synched but wouldn't connect.  I had to force it to, but then it was OK again.

maxping

QuoteOddly enough, I turned the computer on last night at about 7.30 and the router synched but wouldn't connect.  I had to force it to, but then it was OK again.

This happens to me sometimes , if it does i right click on the double monitors icon bottom right of screen (don't know its name)  and hit "repair" , it usually does the trick.

Gee

Thank you guys. Unfortunately I do not have money for the router, so have to stick to USB modem.

Unfortunately, as I am not connected I do not get the icon you mentioned.

Restarting was the first thing I tried. of course, no success. I even reinstalled the modem driver tonight.

However tonight is even worse >:(, I cannot connect at all,still the same errors, and 1hr passed, no connection. I am now writing from a good old 56K modem connection. So clearly my PPP is working fine.

Would anyone from IDnet care to give me some advice please  :'(
Gee

Nerval

Don't think it's your modem.
I've got a router and just spent three or four minutes trying to connect without success, even though the line was synching.

I unplugged the phone line and put it back in again to get a different connection, and the third time it worked.

I suspect it's something at IDNet's end - not technical enough to say what exactly - perhaps they would like to say.

Meanwhile, I suggest you try unplugging from the phone line for ten seconds or so and see if that gets you connected.

Simon_idnet

Hi Guys

Again tonight we have received a notice from BT saying that their Authentication Platform is 'underperforming'. I'm afraid that they have not given an expected time-to-fix.

regards
Simon

Nerval

Simon

Having just spent ten minutes this morning with it refusing to connect, it's getting worse.

Does this affect just IDNet, or is it common to any  other ISPs?  I think I'm asking where exactly the problem is. It's not one I've heard of before.

And is the answer to unplug and replug in  the phone line till it works, or will it just connect eventually if we leave it alone to keep trying?

Thanks

Nerval

Would you prefer that I ring up support rather than ask questions on here?

I'd have thought this would be of general interest, which is why I didn't just ring.

Simon_idnet

Hi Nerval

This is all that we have from BT at present I'm afraid. It did not seem very widespread to us as we could see fairly normal levels of customer authentications to us last night.
Regards
Simon

BT Incident Reference: 27593   Issue : FINAL   
  Detected Date: 02/11/2006   Detected Time: 13:13   
  Start Date: 02/11/2006   Start Time: 13:13   
  Actual Clear Date: 03/11/2006   Actual Clear Time: 08:00   

Incident Headline:  : RAP (REMOTE ACTIVATION PLATFORM) : PARTIAL LOSS OF SERVICE   

Incident Details:  Some of your Broadband End Users may currently be experiencing a loss or degradation of ADSL Service due to authentication issues.

Progress Details:  Service has been restored by completing a
Configuration
BT regrets any inconvenience this may have caused. 

Nerval

Took 20 minutes again to authenticate tonight - I should have left the machine on I suppose.
Something's still not right.

Gee

25 minutes of trying here tonight. I just tried unpluging and repluging everything, USB cable as well as phone line, and connected after the second try, but who knows if this was the solution or a fluke/coincidence.

Thank you SImon for the reply, its the first I heard of BT problems. Lets hope they sort it out quickly.... ::)

;D
Gee

Nerval

Quote from: Gee on Nov 03, 2006, 18:00:48
, its the first I heard of BT problems. Lets hope they sort it out quickly.... ::)

According to the note that Simon posted, BT thought they'd cleared it this morning.

I spoke to support just before 5 and the man said his colleague was looking at their authentication server, so that would imply it could be at IDNet's end. He didn't come back to me to say what if anything they'd found.

He suggested turning the router off for ten minutes or so and retrying, which was what I did.  The second time I did this, It synched again and wouldn't authenticate, then suddenly it did and I've been OK since.  Will just have to leave the router on where I can.