Forum Post "Modify" Button

Started by AndyG, Nov 06, 2006, 09:06:53

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyG

Hi

Is there a time limit to when you can modify a post?  I made a couple of posts yesterday and just after making the second I noticed something I wanted to change in the first (in a different thread).  There was no Modify button shown at the top of my post but there was one on the post I'd just made.  I've looked again this morning and neither of my posts have the Modify button available. I am shown as being logged in with my username at the top of the page and my IP shown alongside my posts.

I do not need to edit either of these posts but am posting here to point out that there might be a small problem that need looking at or I just need educating. ;D

Andy

Nerval

Yes Andy, I noticed that the "modify" button wasn't where it should be when I wanted to change something, and deduced that there is a short time only during which you can modify your posts. On other forums, I'm used to being able to change posts months later  :laugh:

I'd be interested to hear what the details are.

edit:
Like the button's there now, but I bet it'll be gone when I look again. :police:

AndyG

Yep, I cannot Modify the top post now.

I had an idea that it might be an IE7 'feature' but it is not the case.  I've logged in using my desktop which running IE6 and it's still the same.

Andy

Edit: But I am able to modify this one.  ;D

Edit 2: And again.

BassoProfundo

I read somewhere that on some BBSs you can't modify a post once it's been replied to. Could this BBS be one of those? Just a theory.

Nerval

Could be, but there's also a time limit.

I've just checked a post I made at 7.30 that nobody's replied to (well! who would reply to a post of mine anyway!) and there's no modify button.

I'm sure one of the powerful people will tell us.

AndyG

The posts that I was unable to Modify yesterday were the 'bottom' posts.

Andy

Edit: I am currently able to Modify this post but none of the ones made by me above this.

Nerval

It's definitely a time thing.
I've just found a recent post of mine, with somebody else posted underneath, and the modify button is there.

Experiments with rats have now revealed that the time limit for changing posts looks like 15 minutes.

(looks for Sherlock Holmes emoticon)

Could anyone confirm this?

B52

From the help menu:-

Modifying or Deleting a Post
To modify a post, click the Modify button and make your changes. Note that most forums are likely to be configured to show the date and time of the last edit, but the administrator(s) may also allow a short period to elapse before this happens.

Though what constitutes a 'short period' I dont know.

Lance

Quote from: B52 on Nov 06, 2006, 13:29:43

To modify a post, click the Modify button and make your changes. Note that most forums are likely to be configured to show the date and time of the last edit, but the administrator(s) may also allow a short period to elapse before this happens.

the way i read that is that "short period to elapse before this happens" means you can't actually modify your post until the "short period" is over.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

AndyG

Quote from: B52 on Nov 06, 2006, 13:29:43

I read this to mean that for a short period after it has been created you can Modify a post without it showing that it has been edited.

Andy

MoHux

I was reading a post on another forum yesterday, and they had just switched to an SMF BB.  They had the same thing happening.

It turned out the ability to edit is decided by the administrater(s).  Who also can set the time you have to do same.  :D

:whip:
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Adam

The way it is currently set up is;

If you modify your post within the first 90seconds the "Edited by" line is not shown, after that it is. Then after 15minutes the ability to edit the post is removed all together.

It's setup as above to minimize abuse, it wouldn't be all that great if someone started editing their month old posts making threads looks nonsensical.

Adam
Adam

AndyG

Hi Adam

Thanks for clarifying now the Modify post function is set up to behave.

The only info I could find when I searched the forum on this topic was a post from Scott back in March when he said there was no time limit.  I have to say I thought that seemed a little 'brave'.  ;D

It might be worth adding the first paragraph in your post above to the Help section if you can.

Andy :)