Twitter

Started by stevenrw, Apr 17, 2008, 16:23:56

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenrw

This might be on the whong board, so Elders, feel free to move it to wherever you think it belongs
(now, now, don't be like that... :blush:)

I read an interesting piece here on the BBC website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7287536.stm
regarding new technology known as "Twitter".
I'm having trouble getting my head around it. Can somebody clever please 'splain me the difference between sending a "tweet" (as they are called) as opposed to a MSN instant message or perhaps "Netmeeting"
- and where can I go to get more info

somanyholes

Rik

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter for more info.

From what I can see, while MSN is about conversation, Twitter seems to be about 'blogettes' mini-blog entries (140 characters or 25 words) sent to you if so subscribe to a particular feed, so in some ways it's a bit like an RSS service.

I have to say I find the concept incomprehensible - do people really need 25 word messages buzzing around their lives?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Well you learn something new every day, here's me thinking that it was only birds (mainly of the feathered kind   >:D) that "twittered"  ;D
Ray
--------------------

Malc

Quote from: Sheltieuk on Apr 17, 2008, 16:40:14
Well you learn something new every day, here's me thinking that it was only birds (mainly of the feathered kind   >:D) that "twittered"  ;D

I think the other kind can do their fair share as well.  :hide2:

Ray

Quote from: Malc on Apr 17, 2008, 22:41:33

I think the other kind can do their fair share as well.  :hide2:

I am sure you are right, Malc.  :out:
Ray
--------------------

stevenrw

Quote from: Rik on Apr 17, 2008, 16:35:57
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter for more info.

From what I can see, while MSN is about conversation, Twitter seems to be about 'blogettes' mini-blog entries (140 characters or 25 words) sent to you if so subscribe to a particular feed, so in some ways it's a bit like an RSS service.

I have to say I find the concept incomprehensible - do people really need 25 word messages buzzing around their lives?

That was my point Rik. I just don't see that it gives you a whole lot more than the established technology that already exists.
I guess it's just something different to keep the wheels of technology turning (and to add another term to the Nerdic lexicon of course)

Rik

I suspect it's just another way for the posers to show how important they are.  :mad:
Rik
--------------------

Captain K

Quote from: Rik on Apr 17, 2008, 16:35:57I have to say I find the concept incomprehensible - do people really need 25 word messages buzzing around their lives?

Only GB Himself!

:crazy:
Bruce.

I don't trust Camels.  Or any other creature that can go a week without a drink.

Rik

I feel a sense of profound joy at the prospect of knowing GB is feeling peckish...  :react:
Rik
--------------------

Captain K

I wonder if after a nice Whitehouse dinner with extra sprouts, it tells you he's brewing up an eggy one?  :D
Bruce.

I don't trust Camels.  Or any other creature that can go a week without a drink.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Danni

(You can probably tell I'm bored and reading all the forums I've neglected recently.)

I use Twitter, originally to follow a couple of friends from Second Life when we weren't in there. I use it a lot- all those little things I want to say but are too short for blogging in my life, and hearing the same from the people I follow. I now have several way conversations using Twitter, where 4 or 5 of us are sending messages referring to others (so it's like text messages that other people can read and comment on). It's hard to describe but a lot of fun. My twitter name is Dannilion if you want to be bored by my odd comments and complaining :P
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

psp83

My boss was covering this on BBC Radio Wiltshire/Swindon Monday just gone at 10:45am.

Any listen to it?

He has a spot on the radio every monday around 11am (ish) with Olly Dearden called site of the week.

Rik

Now if you'd told us in advance, Paul... ;D
Rik
--------------------

psp83

http://twitter.com/ollydearden

http://twitter.com/ollydearden/with_friends

Its got the next site of the week on the page if your interested in knowing what the next one is going to be about.

Rik

Rik
--------------------