IDNet Migration Time

Started by TimEdwards, Nov 08, 2006, 09:45:40

Previous topic - Next topic

TimEdwards

I got confirmation of migration to IDNet this morning and it says it will be completed by 6pm on the 15th/11/06 - 1 week from today.

What are the chances of being connected much sooner as I guess the date could be to just cover themselves.

Are people usually connected in 1-3 days or does it take the full week?

Scott

I was on a couple of days early Tim but this is realy down to BT getting their finger out rather than anything IDNet do or don't do in time.
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

Rik

For me they quoted 3 days, but BT left their finger in and it took 4. We're all in BT's hands and, at the moment, they seem to be stretched.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Nerval

Rik, BT should be stretched.
By the neck. At the end of a rope. :banana2:

Rik

I sympathise with the engineers, who seem to be working all hours, I question management, who don't seem to have predicted the surge in work, or the fact that so many exchanges have suddenly 'gone red'. They are, of course, paid fat bonuses and a pretty generous salary. Perhaps performance-related bonuses should have the ability to be negative, ie do your job badly and your salary gets cut. That might focus a few minds!
Rik
--------------------

Nerval

Don't know if you've seen THIS about a day in the life on a BT engineer, poor devil.  I posted it a while back, and it's hilarious (if you're not a BT engineer)

Rik

Yes, I saw it over on ADSLguide. I could feel the frustration oozing through...
Rik
--------------------

TimEdwards

Damn, seems I have to wait a week then :S

Is there any way I can speed this process up? A phonecall to someone etc? My ISP atm is terrible so id like to move asap.

Rik

IDNet can't, as far as I know, do anything - they are given the date by BT and what BT says goes. Short of emailing the CEO at BT, I think you'll probably just have to wait. TBH, by the time you've got anyone involved and taking action, you'll probably have migrated. I do empathise, though, once you want to go, you want to go now.
Rik
--------------------

stevie0573

As rik said there nothing you can really do to speed it up and in my experience idnet will do everything they can to make the whole process as quick and painless as possible.

Paitence my young padwan for you will be taken away from those horrible isp's quickly as you can say bantah fodder :)

Rik

Quote from: stevie0573 on Nov 08, 2006, 14:30:17
Patience my young padwan for you will be taken away from those horrible isp's quickly as you can say bantah fodder :)

It takes a week to say that. How on earth do you pronounce it then???  ;)
Rik
--------------------

stevie0573

Rik

But, presumably, only if you know? :)
Rik
--------------------

stevie0573

meh!!!! hehehe go rent out starwars lol

Tim i forgot to ask which isp you are moving from...............just being nosey tbh

LadFromWales85

I was over in 3 working days, on the scheduled date :D

BassoProfundo

TimEdwards

Moved from Virgin.net - pings of 300 between 6and12 - no thanks.

stevie0573

I know just what you mean, i moved from virgin after 6 years and god knows how many calls to CS with no joy at all. I belvie they have major problems there and have been unwilling to admit it altho i think some people have got closer to the truth at adsl guide.

I can understand why you want to move now i sincerely hope all goes well with the move over m8 im sure you wont regret it at all (only regret i had was wasting so much money with virgin).

TimEdwards

Did you evening/nighttime pings improve after leaving virgin for idnet? fingers crossed

stevie0573

OMG everything has improved a million times since i moved.

My evening/nighttime pings with virgin was around 200-300 and the download speeds sunk as low as 85kbs but with idnet they have been nothing but stable no matter what time of day.

I think with idnet its normal to get around 20-30 pings tho sometimes they can be a little higher but nothing like what you would get with virgins service of late.

I think people who are having issues with virgin are now catching on to the fact that they are blaming everything else apart from them, when i called CS a guy there was saying it was bt's fault and contention problems which was total cr*p.

Oh and by the way i dont suppose your the guy who writes for pcgamer :) same name and all.

zimmerframe

Quote from: TimEdwards on Nov 09, 2006, 10:37:18
Did you evening/nighttime pings improve after leaving virgin for idnet? fingers crossed

I moved from Virgin, after being with them for 10 years, 4 weeks ago and have not looked back once.

I also had evening/weekend problems, high pings to game servers and unwilling/unable help from their CS.

I was quoted 5 working days to move and the transition to IDNet went exactly as they said it would.

There have been no problems for me at all since I moved.  You have made the right move Tim :).

If The World Didnt Suck, We'd all Fall Off

TimEdwards

Glad I did some research around thats all, sounds like I made the right choice  :D Yeah im a network admin by trade so I know when they are trying to bullshit me, when I knew they were lying to me I just talked over their heads - they soon pass you on to BT etc when you do that.

One thing I liked about Virgin was the online chat tech support, meant I could post link after link after link of people with EXACTLY the same problems as me, down to times and speeds.

One of them was really hooked on internal wiring being the problem, after I told him the wire comes into the house through the window frame, travels 5cm along the wall into the master switch, then 3cm into the modem  ;D

Wednesday cant come soon enough  ;D

stevie0573

Dont worry soon enough you will become a idnutter  :angel:

Rik

I thought most people became IDNetters, whilst you actually need a medical certificate to be classified as an IDNutter. I speak as someone who has one!  :)
Rik
--------------------

TimEdwards

well its 6pm on wednesday the 15th and im still not migrated...

sigh

Rik

Don't worry, BT are running slow right now. It took me until after 10pm.
Rik
--------------------

TimEdwards

On the day you were supposed to migrate?

Inactive

I just got my IDNet connection absolutely as promised and predicted at 04.15 am.

Took 4 days.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Quote from: TimEdwards on Nov 15, 2006, 18:15:59
On the day you were supposed to migrate?

Yes, although due to a BT mistake, I couldn't actually connect until about 9:20 the following morning. Miriam went after them with one of my spare haggis!  ;)
Rik
--------------------

TimEdwards

Wasnt on at midnight but I cant check till 5:30pm tonight. It says I was activated on the idnet login site yesterday but thats probably an automated message.

Fingers crossed

Rik

In my case, at least, that email was only sent after BT informed IDNet that the migration was complete. So, hopefully, happy logins tonight.  :)
Rik
--------------------