Half a million computers infected with 'malware' in just seven days

Started by Noreen, May 09, 2008, 10:19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteExperts are warning internet users to be on their guard after more than half a million computers were infected with a single piece of malicious software.

In just seven days more than 530,000 instances of a single booby-trapped file have been spotted by analysts at internet security company McAfee, leading them to claim it is the biggest outbreak for several years.

The program works by posing as an ordinary media download, piggybacking on the draw of movies such as the recent St Trinian's film or pop acts such as Girls Aloud. Instead of finding the video or song they are expecting, however, victims are fooled into infecting their computers with a secret program which then bombards them with adverts............
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/may/09/internet.hacking

Rik

It's amazing to think people are still getting caught out by Trojans, but they are. All we can do is make sure they don't pass on the problem to us.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Noreen on May 09, 2008, 10:19:08
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/may/09/internet.hacking
I tend to think Noreen if you use these p2p services you take your chances, I don't use them, and personally never would, its a bit like opening your front door and letting a stream of visitors in your home you don't know and hoping they wont steal something while your are out, I have known so many people using Limewire calling for help with infections from downloads, you take the risk you could get burned I guess.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sebby

It's amazing how convincing some of the phishing emails can be. Even I have to double check sometimes, so what hope do novices have? :(

Rik

The best ones really need close examination, just as the best fake sites do. There's no question but they are going to take some people in. :(
Rik
--------------------

Rik

I'd have been safe then, Malc, I don't like loud girls. :)
Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster