Phone twittering

Started by Dangerjunkie, May 09, 2008, 13:13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerjunkie

Hi,

I had my phone put in relatively recently and I'm not quite getting the ADSL rates I was hoping for (I have an XTE2005 faceplate, all extensions disconnected and everything wired up with CAT5. I had an exchange fault the other week where I lost all phone service but my ADSL stayed up. Since then I've noticed the following strange bahaviour (which may be new or maybe I just didn't notice before)

I have a cr*ppy temporary phone that is quite sensitive. Whenever I've asked for a line test to be run my phone emits little "ticks" for about 30 seconds as the line volts go up and down as the test runs. Since the fault was repaired I noticed the phone doing this at random times of the day and night. Is this normal and is it just the line tester having a peek at different times or do you think I have a problem?

Thanks,
Paul.

Rik

No idea, tbh, Paul. It's possible for ADSL to continue to work when the phone is dead, as ADSL signals can 'jump' a small break in the cable, while the voice signal can't. What may be happening is that your line is on 'night routining', whereby automated tests are run periodically. You can ask BT (151) to exclude the line from such testing.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Dangerjunkie

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

I just assumed the exchange voice card had died as the fault was detected instantly as being in the exchange when the person I reported to keyed it in. It was my thought that there was no voice signal going to the splitter but the ADSL was getting there.

I'll call BT and see what they say.

I can't manage to get the statistics out of my modem (a Draytek Vigor 110) . Not sure if I don't know how as it came with no instructions but the method for the Vigor 100 doesn't seem to work. It could me the modem or the firewall that doesn't want to play. Not sure. If I call IDNet can they see my SNRM and attenuation remotely or is my modem the only place I can get that?

Cheers,
Paul.

cavillas

As Rik says.  My phone line had a break in it about a year ago and no voice connection was possible yet adsl to Idnet was uninterrupted.  I used the interne t ot contact BT and got a quicker response than from their phone line support.  They eventually replaced about 1Km of cable after 10 days and everything was back to normal.
------
Alf :)

Rik

Quote from: Dangerjunkie on May 09, 2008, 13:23:03
If I call IDNet can they see my SNRM and attenuation remotely or is my modem the only place I can get that?

They can see attenuation and NM.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

They can see the information that our router displays, though not on our routers. :P