What do you think is wrong?

Started by psp83, May 08, 2008, 09:57:37

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

i've asked the neighbours if they've changed anything electrical and they haven't, We haven't in the house and there no industrial stuff around here for miles and thats away from the exchange, the other end of town.

Why would picking the phone up and putting it down stable the line ???

Rik

It can cause a whetting current, which overcomes a bad joint for a short period.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Quote from: Rik on May 16, 2008, 08:48:14
... overcomes a bad joint for a short period.

12 hrs  ??? and counting

psp83

new face plate is on now.. same margin between 11 and 12 but higher sync.

Connection Speed     6080 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation       39 db          12.5 db
Noise Margin            12 db           27 db

So lets hope it stays stable now.

Lance

Lance
_____

psp83

Well that was short lived.

Phone is causing big spikes in margin still and thats with a new filtered face plate and 2 soap on a rope filters then the phone connected.

Tried 2 phones and they both cause the spikes. Middle spike was from the 2nd phone.

Pic attached.. What shall i do? as with these spikes. it will only take a little bit of extra noise from somewhere to cause a resync :(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lance

I think I would have a word with support, with the likely outcome of a BT engineer visit. It appears that there is a fault on the line, but you know it isn't your side as you've got the filtered face plate and daisy-chained the filters. Rik knows more than I do about the types of faults you can get on the line though, and he might have a different idea.
Lance
_____

Rik

I agree, Lance, this is one for support.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I think you've proved that this is a line issue, even though it perhaps looks like the phone on the surface (but it's not). As the others suggest, let support know and you'll have to have an engineer round.